U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-04-2014, 10:48 PM
 
19 posts, read 19,421 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

My wife just recently got offered a position to work as a Physics teacher in Virginia. She went to school for Physics, and to also be a teacher. I am very happy for her, but deep down inside, I'm really nervous. I've lived in southwestern Pennsylvania all of my life. I'm also realizing that I'm having to give up a job that I've had for almost three years (although it's not full time, but looks great on a resume) at a local news station. I'm having some doubts that I will be able to find full time employment while I'm down there. I know that the closest big cities to where we'll be living are about an hour away each. I know that's a sacrifice that I'm making. I just feel that sometimes she feels that her career is more important than mine. We'll also be leaving our families and friends behind as well, and I know that'll really hit me especially hard. I guess I just need to take a chance and move with her, and pray that I'll be able to find something! She and I have discussed and argued a bit over all of this the past few weeks. We have to be moved in by August 21st, so that really doesn't give us a lot of time to look for an apartment, which adds stress. It'll be my first big move about 5 hours away from where we currently live. Any advice?

 
Old 08-05-2014, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Des Moines Metro
5,045 posts, read 5,964,254 times
Reputation: 9424
OP, the first move out of the area is hard for most people! You're leaving behind everything that you knew, and that's scary. Your wife needs to understand that.

At the same time, it sounds like she's going to have a secure full-time job with some benefits, and that's worth moving for in today's horrible economy. VA as a whole is doing better economically than PA and you'll see that when you visit the nearby cities.

So try to focus on the positive and look into related opportunities. Could you produce a news show for a local cable access channel? If there isn't one, maybe start one? You could maybe partner with her school and get a grant to develop one.

That's just one idea.

One other thought: five hours away seems like a million miles when you're missing home, but in reality, that's a half-day drive. Worse is having to move several days away, like from PA to FL or CA! If you moved that far away, it would be very, very hard to visit home. But five hours away isn't bad at all.

Maybe your wife can help you find some new job opportunities. It concerns me that you feel she's not taking your career needs into account. Maybe get someone to help mediate if you continue to argue so that you can come up with some sort of compromise so that you're both happy about the move.
 
Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 PM
 
19 posts, read 26,398 times
Reputation: 19
Where in Virginia? If you are moving to the Northern Virginia area, there are plenty of jobs overall, but most likely the news jobs are more highly competitive than most areas of the country.
 
Old 08-07-2014, 01:48 AM
 
19 posts, read 19,421 times
Reputation: 15
Thank you everyone for your comments, I really appreciate it! Her job will be in Spotslvania county, so we'll most likely be moving to that county. I'm hopefully going to find a decent media job in either Richmond or (if push comes to shove) Washington D.C. I'll do my best when it comes to looking into the positives of all this. It's a new experience and adventure, but I sure will miss everyone here. My current workplace knows, and they are happy for us, but really sad to see me go, so it's comforting knowing that they think I have a good work ethic. Perhaps maybe I can get help in regards to job relocation from my current place, and they can help me find a CBS affiliate (since I work for a CBS station currently.)
 
Old 08-07-2014, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Des Moines Metro
5,045 posts, read 5,964,254 times
Reputation: 9424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank523 View Post
Perhaps maybe I can get help in regards to job relocation from my current place, and they can help me find a CBS affiliate (since I work for a CBS station currently.)
Jobs at WTVR CBS 6 | WTVR.com

NEWS PRODUCER — POSTED 07/28/14

WTVR-CBS 6 is looking for a smart, creative, dynamic news producer who can create fast-paced, conversational, and compelling newscasts that include the big stories and a flair of social media interaction.

(see link above for more)

That position may be filled by now, but you could try contacting them about related positions.
 
Old 10-27-2014, 12:33 AM
 
19 posts, read 19,421 times
Reputation: 15
Default Update

I am officially moving to Virginia the first full week of November. My wife has been down there since the end of August. I was just up here in Pennsylvania finishing some things up in regards to work. I've been doing a lot of thinking, and part of me thinks it's the right decision to move down there, and part of me thinks I'm making a huge mistake. I'm leaving a good paying job with people that I absolutely adore and love working with, and going into the unknown in Virginia. I graduated in the media field, so the Fredericksburg area isn't exactly booming in regards to television work. I'd have to travel to either D.C. or Richmond to find television work, and they are both an hour away. I wouldn't mind the drive so much, but I worry that companies would be leery to hire me, because it's a bit of a commute. I've had two phone interviews already, and they were both concerned about the distance. I'm sure that everything will work out in the end, but I just don't want to end up having to take a job that I hate. My wife says that she can't float me when I move down there either, so I guess in a way, I feel like she isn't as compassionate as she should be in this situation.
 
Old 10-29-2014, 01:20 PM
 
19 posts, read 19,421 times
Reputation: 15
I am staying with my mom up here in Pennsylvania until I move down to Virginia next week. I pretty much have no choice but to move down now, because my last day of work up here is this upcoming Monday. I do believe that things happen for a reason, and maybe things will look up once I am down there. It just seems like I am always making the sacrifices. She claims that she took this position to better both of our lives, but I am having a hard time trying to see it that way. I just want to find a job down there that I am happy with. I know they say you gotta do what you gotta do, but I don't want to be miserable at the same time. Marriage is indeed about sacrifice, but it's disheartening thinking that I'm doing a lot of that.
 
Old 10-29-2014, 03:51 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,434 posts, read 29,397,464 times
Reputation: 19624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank523 View Post
I am staying with my mom up here in Pennsylvania until I move down to Virginia next week. I pretty much have no choice but to move down now, because my last day of work up here is this upcoming Monday. I do believe that things happen for a reason, and maybe things will look up once I am down there. It just seems like I am always making the sacrifices. She claims that she took this position to better both of our lives, but I am having a hard time trying to see it that way. I just want to find a job down there that I am happy with. I know they say you gotta do what you gotta do, but I don't want to be miserable at the same time. Marriage is indeed about sacrifice, but it's disheartening thinking that I'm doing a lot of that.
I would hope that my husband would be more miserable without me than over a part time job....
 
Old 10-29-2014, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Northern Appalachia
5,113 posts, read 6,309,212 times
Reputation: 5947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank523 View Post
I am officially moving to Virginia the first full week of November. My wife has been down there since the end of August. I was just up here in Pennsylvania finishing some things up in regards to work. I've been doing a lot of thinking, and part of me thinks it's the right decision to move down there, and part of me thinks I'm making a huge mistake. I'm leaving a good paying job with people that I absolutely adore and love working with, and going into the unknown in Virginia. I graduated in the media field, so the Fredericksburg area isn't exactly booming in regards to television work. I'd have to travel to either D.C. or Richmond to find television work, and they are both an hour away. I wouldn't mind the drive so much, but I worry that companies would be leery to hire me, because it's a bit of a commute. I've had two phone interviews already, and they were both concerned about the distance. I'm sure that everything will work out in the end, but I just don't want to end up having to take a job that I hate. My wife says that she can't float me when I move down there either, so I guess in a way, I feel like she isn't as compassionate as she should be in this situation.
I understand and sympathize with your position. I think you need a good comeback when interviewers raise the question about your commute. Could you reply that you and your wife are planning to find an apartment where the two of you will be splitting the commuting distance to your jobs?
 
Old 10-29-2014, 10:36 PM
 
1,421 posts, read 1,895,142 times
Reputation: 1941
What does "float" mean? I hope it isn't what I think it is...support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top