Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 05:01 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,691,511 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in California and can possibly see myself move to another state for more job opportunities. But, if say, I get a job in New York, is it mandatory that I give up my CA license? From what I understand, we are obligated to change our licenses within 30 days. But what if I plan on staying for maybe 5 years and then moving back to CA? Do I still need to change my license? My family will stay behind in CA, in the event that I do decide to move out of state. I don't see myself driving a car in NY, so I definitely won't have a problem with auto issues.

Thank you very much everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 05:08 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
I'm currently living in California and can possibly see myself move to another state for more job opportunities. But, if say, I get a job in New York, is it mandatory that I give up my CA license?

Yes, If you live in NY State, (If you live in NJ, CT, PA ... you need to get a licence from that state).

From what I understand, we are obligated to change our licenses within 30 days. But what if I plan on staying for maybe 5 years and then moving back to CA?

When you move back to CA, you get another Licence from CA.

Do I still need to change my license?

Yes

My family will stay behind in CA, in the event that I do decide to move out of state. I don't see myself driving a car in NY, so I definitely won't have a problem with auto issues.

You still need to change your licence...

Old 08-06-2014, 05:14 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,601,367 times
I'm not positive, but it seems like you have to have an in-state license or state issued ID for your I-9 form, the employment verification form everyone is now required to fill out where you show that you are a US citizen.

I could be wrong. They might also accept a passport in lieu of the state ID or license.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:19 PM

I-9 say From A (Can be any State) Driver Licence & SSN (and bunch of other also).

I-9 is federal they just need to know you legally are allow to work in the US. They don't care what state its from.

see Page 9 http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/f...s/form/i-9.pdf

Old 08-08-2014, 01:52 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Your license is tied to your state of residence not where you may have a residence.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:15 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I'm currently living in California and can possibly see myself move to another state for more job opportunities. But, if say, I get a job in New York, is it mandatory that I give up my CA license? From what I understand, we are obligated to change our licenses within 30 days. But what if I plan on staying for maybe 5 years and then moving back to CA? Do I still need to change my license? My family will stay behind in CA, in the event that I do decide to move out of state. I don't see myself driving a car in NY, so I definitely won't have a problem with auto issues.

Thank you very much everyone!
Changing your license really isn't that big of a deal. Not sure what the concern is.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:16 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,226 times
It's up to you. I haven't lived in Florida since 2005, but still maintain a license there. I renewed it while I was in vacation (I go there all the time for family, cruises, Disney, etc). It's good until 2018. I see no reason to get it changed. Especially since I don't plan on living here forever anyway.

I drive safe, so no reason for a cop to check. I was rear ended a few months ago, and the cop saw my Florida license with ohio license plates and he didn't bat an eye

Old 08-11-2014, 03:30 PM

389 posts, read 916,213 times
Your California license will expire in 4 years or less. Now if you lived in Arizona, where the DL is good for something like 30+ years, that might be a different story...

Old 08-11-2014, 03:48 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,514 times
I know someone who did what you are porposing - and got a red-light camera ticket about a year after moving. The address forward had already expired and my friend didn't even know about the ticket til they tried to renew their now expired license. It was a very.very costly mistake.

I have known people that have attempted this if they are from a low/no income tax state but coming from CA this doesn't apply, LOL

Old 08-11-2014, 05:03 PM

Red Light Camera Ticket would be sent to the Owner of the Car, (Licence plate) Not to the person driving it. They have no idea who is driving it, so it goes to the address of record for the Car Owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues