U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:52 AM

405 posts, read 415,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekreeves View Post
Do you really want to give away those trophies? Many people are reluctant to give away the trophies they earned in their childhood just like you. Anyway, you can try some points in this article if you still want to retain those memorable achievements, How To Display Your Awards Without Cluttering Your Home | Hoult-Hellewell . If you have decided to give them away, I have heard of a few trophy shops who accepts older trophies and plaques. They recycle or refurbish it and put for sale as low cost used products. There are not many such shops, but you may find some, if you know where to look for.
A lot of youth bowling leagues, and probably other youth sports leagues, will accept old trophies as donations. It helps them keep the costs down which usually keeps participation up. So somebody that's wanting to get rid of old trophies, just ask at your local bowling alley if the youth league does such a thing. If they don't, look for other youth sports and contact somebody that works with them and more than likely, you'll find some way to donate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 05:35 PM

6,773 posts, read 6,909,721 times
Someone I know gave her deceased mother's golf trophies to a trophy business. They said they would put new plates on them for other to receive. Some of the older trophies are so much nicer than the newer ones today.

RECYCLE them!!!

Old 10-19-2014, 07:29 AM

12,648 posts, read 9,869,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanli2228 View Post
So recently my family moved into a new house, and naturally this involves going through old stuff and deciding what to keep and throw away.

Throughout elementary, middle, and high school, I accumulated a lot of trophies, medals, pins, plaques, etc. They look nice to display, but they take up a lot of space. Also, as time goes on, they start to feel less relevant: 7th grade spelling bee winner, soccer tournament champions, elementary school gymnastics trophies, high school academic awards -- of course I'm proud of them, but I'm in college now, and I just feel like these things don't mean as much as they do when I first got them.

What do you think? Do you think it is important to preserve these sorts of childhood mementos? Do you think they're a waste of space? Did you keep or throw away your high school trophies?
I'd keep them and get rid of other things instead. My rule is "keep irreplaceables, discard replaceables".

Of course if I had a truly huge number of them I'd pick the ones that are important and get rid of the rest. Of course paper certificates, etc. could be digitized...

Old 10-23-2014, 04:13 PM

15,861 posts, read 12,640,710 times
arrange them nicely, take a pic and then get rid of them (recycling)

Old 10-23-2014, 05:35 PM

6,640 posts, read 18,572,311 times
Does not have to be any awards of past decades ago but as we get older in life some things change...not a big deal anymore.....to you as a person meaningful.....to others...just GARBAGE.

At my age of 83 sit and look at some awards of my past History on the Mantle and Military Service time Photos/Discharge and Awards in the Shadow Box on the wall......the latter NEVER throw away.

To me some things are still important but to others...."won't buy a cup of coffee".

Thus I am slowly getting rid of a lot of items. Still have my parents Birth Certificates from 1908-09 that I will put in a Frame for maybe a Grand Daughter to keep...never know......mine was stolen in a Burglary.

Did decide to give things away that way I knew would go where and to whom w/o having to write everything down on paper.

Look in the newspaper and you could see Estate sales going on that have many valuable items to be sold at Auction while a close relative could/should be inheriting them.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:00 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,406,603 times
If they are really great trophies, save them until you have grandchildren. They will like to see what Gramps did when HE was in High School. Otherwise, no one except you will probably ever want to see them.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:31 AM

10,482 posts, read 8,661,412 times
Don't throw out the kids' awards whatever you do. Make space for them in their rooms.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:50 AM

1,877 posts, read 3,703,645 times
Just keep them in a box. Or keep out one or two special ones. Maybe you will feel differently if you try to re-prioritize the rest of your stuff. And remember what your family can throw away, too. Focus on stuff like clothes, old computer equipment/computers, old random junk in drawers and storage. Maybe even have a garage sale. And then reevaluate what to do with the trophies. I think they are kind of important, really. They represent accomplishments you are proud of and good memories. I can think of better things to toss. Or just keep them in a box for 3 more years and or something, and then come back to the decision then. If you hadn't missed them in those years, then MAYBE toss them.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,678 times
As someone already said, photograph each of those trophies and award plaques because you may want to see them later in your life. Keep those which are most important for you and get rid of the rest. These earned trophies and plaques have more value than those bought from a shop like Houlte-Hellewell in Scarborough. Just make sure you throw away only those you really donít want to keep.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 664 times
After reading suggestions on what & how to keep grown kids' trophies, certificates, etc., I will keep a few and put the All American award certs in a notebook. I will encourage to throw out old swim/water polo suits from college, club teams, etc..thanks for all the solid suggestions!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues