Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2014, 02:50 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,508 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am moving a truck full of stuff to my new home in central Tn. I am very flexible with the dates that I can move, anytime from early Dec to mid January. I likely will rent a Penske, depending on the rate.

I am not familiar with the roads and weather for the trip. I live in an area with light snow, but even with a car avoid driving in the snow when possible. I HATE putting on chains and would not do that with a rental truck. I would paek and wait out the conditions--assuming its not a month wait I am concerned with ice and sliding as well as stopping time when driving in bad weather conditions. And with a heavy truck I am even more concerned.

So, would it be better do go early before Christmas, or wait until later in Jan? I am concerned about driving in snow conditions and would rather avoid that.

Also, I would like to take I-40 as it is shorter and closer to both homes than using I-10. Would I-10 be better during that time of year, even though it will add a 1/2 day more of driving? How bad would I-40 be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 03:18 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Hello, I am moving a truck full of stuff to my new home in central Tn.
I likely will rent a Penske, depending on the rate.
iirc... Penske is the ONLY practical LD rental choice.

Quote:
Also, I would like to take I-40 as it is shorter and closer to...
I-40 is the only practical choice to make.

Quote:
I am not familiar with the roads and weather for the trip.
It's an awful and VERY boring road... and weather conditions cycle.
Keep an eye out for the trends so you aren't IN FRONT of a storm.
2-3 days BEHIND is ideal --- allows for ice/snow clearing to happen.

Quote:
So, would it be better do go early before Christmas, or wait until later in Jan?
w/r/t weather... you won't (can't) know this until THAT week.
w/r/t traffic congestion and idiotdom... I'd wait until 1/5 to start (weather permitting)

Old 08-17-2014, 07:47 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Tn can be hit or miss weather wise. Jan tends to be colder than Dec. Ice is as much and sometimes more the problem than snow. I doubt you would be allowed to put chains on one of those trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues