Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 09:28 AM

917 posts, read 1,384,103 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find work in another city since I plan on moving there soon. I am getting very impatient about the process so I need some advice. How much money should I save up to move? I am moving to be with the person I am in a relationship with and both of us are getting pretty impatient. (I drive out there at least once a month and vice versa)

I have applied at various jobs and havent heard anything back. Not sure if this is due to the fact that I am in another city and they see that on my resume.

Any advice on what I can do?

I am getting depressed here in my city since it breaks my heart having to leave the one I love after I go visit.

I decided not to renew my lease at my apartment and move back with my parents to save up (Id be saving at least 800 a month right there). I want to be there at least by February. (I would still make my monthly visits as well). After I move, we plan on getting an apartment together so I need to make sure I have my part of the rent covered (which is about 400).

How much money should I take? This doesnt include the money I'd need for Uhaul to take all my stuff over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 10:30 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
I am trying to find work in another city...
I have applied at various jobs and haven't heard anything back.
...I am in another city and they see that on my resume.

Commit to the new city.

Go. Take whatever job you can get there (even temp) for a while.
After a while the better jobs should open up.
Don't sign any leases until you have a GOOD job.

Quote:
How much money should I take?
The same six to nine months of living expenses you should have saved up will do fine.
Even without a move happening... you *do* have that saved... right?

Quote:
This doesn't include the money needed for Uhaul, etc.
Correct. Or rental & utility company deposits, or, or, or...

Old 08-21-2014, 08:47 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
I am trying to find work in another city since I plan on moving there soon. I am getting very impatient about the process so I need some advice. How much money should I save up to move? I am moving to be with the person I am in a relationship with and both of us are getting pretty impatient. (I drive out there at least once a month and vice versa)

I have applied at various jobs and havent heard anything back. Not sure if this is due to the fact that I am in another city and they see that on my resume.

I am getting depressed here in my city since it breaks my heart having to leave the one I love after I go visit.

I decided not to renew my lease at my apartment and move back with my parents to save up (Id be saving at least 800 a month right there). I want to be there at least by February. (I would still make my monthly visits as well). After I move, we plan on getting an apartment together so I need to make sure I have my part of the rent covered (which is about 400).

How much money should I take? This doesnt include the money I'd need for Uhaul to take all my stuff over there.

Do you plan to live with the person who you are moving to be with? If so, use their address on your resume as your residence if that is where you plan on living. If asked, explain you are in the process of moving and will be there on XX date. This may help you get past the initial "they don't live here we won't look at their resume" filter. If you aren't planning on moving until February, it is really to early to apply for anything right now, anyway. Start right after the holidays; many places almost close down and stop hiring the last 2-3 weeks of December and are ready to go again as soon as January starts.

As for what to bring, it depends on what you have and what you can afford to move. For me, my big stuff was not worth the thousands of dollars it would cost to haul across the country, so I left it behind and bought new. I brought mostly clothes and personal items only.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:33 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
I am moving to be with the person I am in a relationship with
OP, please make sure that even without that factor, the move would be beneficial for you. I can fill several screens with tales of woe about men and women who moved to a new area just for a relationship.

The few success stories were from people in smaller towns who moved to a larger area, and when the relationship fell apart, they either went back to college (or attended for the first time) or had other career successes that they wouldn't have found at the former residence.

I hope that you have much better luck with your relationship than they did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues