U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-23-2014, 10:16 PM
 
5 posts, read 12,077 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I've stuffed my books into small boxes (similar in size to file boxes) and will be shipping those media mail via USPS. Clothing I plan to stuff into suitcases and take with me on the plan. As for everything else (that I haven't donated/sold/thrown out)...

Well I'm not sure. I wish we were driving but we're not so we have to deal with shipping boxes across the country. I know there are some other options to look into but I think we've agreed just to go with UPS ground or Amtrak considering our time frame and everything.

In any case, I was wondering what size boxes would be the best to use. I bought some large boxes and they just seem... so big. I don't even know how we will get them* to UPS (schedule a pick-up?). I'm also scared they will get even more banged up because they are so large. For reference, I have some 20 x 20 x 24 and then some that are a bit wider. Should I go for smaller boxes or will I be okay? I'm thinking of the shipping price as well.

Thank you!

Last edited by lvlpnd; 08-23-2014 at 10:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2014, 10:54 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,522 posts, read 62,235,289 times
Reputation: 32222
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlpnd View Post
I was wondering what size boxes would be the best to use.
They're called "cube and a half" 12x12x18 cube and a half box - Google Search

About arm width wide for easy carrying
Commonly available

Find a box maker in YOUR town.
Buy their seconds (mistakes) cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2014, 11:01 PM
 
35,108 posts, read 40,278,218 times
Reputation: 62061
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlpnd View Post
I've stuffed my books into small boxes (similar in size to file boxes) and will be shipping those media mail via USPS. Clothing I plan to stuff into suitcases and take with me on the plan. As for everything else (that I haven't donated/sold/thrown out)...

Well I'm not sure. I wish we were driving but we're not so we have to deal with shipping boxes across the country. I know there are some other options to look into but I think we've agreed just to go with UPS ground or Amtrak considering our time frame and everything.

In any case, I was wondering what size boxes would be the best to use. I bought some large boxes and they just seem... so big. I don't even know how we will get them* to UPS (schedule a pick-up?). I'm also scared they will get even more banged up because they are so large. For reference, I have some 20 x 20 x 24 and then some that are a bit wider. Should I go for smaller boxes or will I be okay? I'm thinking of the shipping price as well.

Thank you!
I always went to the grocery and asked if I could get some of the boxes their eggs come in.
They are perfect size and have built in handles.

If you use UPS for a pick up you have to have everything weighed, addressed and paid for before they will come and pick anything up and you can do all of that online, even schedule the pick up.
Personally I would get rid of more stuff and I would never ship books anywhere unless they are very special, first print collectors books.
Most other books can be replaced via online or on an ereader.
UPS may also have an issue picking up 30 boxes at one time and you really need to make sure that everything is protected and packed tight if you are going UPS, USPS or FedEx and do not put the word "fragile" on anything, it is too tempting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2014, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Airports all over the world
6,159 posts, read 6,328,662 times
Reputation: 100688
Your best bet is to call the shipping companies you are considering and ask them for their pricing guidelines. Also, keep in mind that if your boxes do not weigh much they may charge you based on the demensions of the box rather than the weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2014, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Not where you ever lived
11,544 posts, read 26,015,185 times
Reputation: 6248
A friend of mine rented a U-Haul and was able to store it at a locked U-Haul storage center until he found a place to live. It was the cheapest option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2014, 11:04 AM
 
486 posts, read 629,748 times
Reputation: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlpnd View Post
I've stuffed my books into small boxes (similar in size to file boxes) and will be shipping those media mail via USPS. Clothing I plan to stuff into suitcases and take with me on the plan. As for everything else (that I haven't donated/sold/thrown out)...

Well I'm not sure. I wish we were driving but we're not so we have to deal with shipping boxes across the country. I know there are some other options to look into but I think we've agreed just to go with UPS ground or Amtrak considering our time frame and everything.

In any case, I was wondering what size boxes would be the best to use. I bought some large boxes and they just seem... so big. I don't even know how we will get them* to UPS (schedule a pick-up?). I'm also scared they will get even more banged up because they are so large. For reference, I have some 20 x 20 x 24 and then some that are a bit wider. Should I go for smaller boxes or will I be okay? I'm thinking of the shipping price as well.

Thank you!
Well, at first you said "media mail via USPS". That's the cheapest way to ship books. As for boxes, (Free) liquor store boxes are great for books. A good size & sturdy.

UPS will likely be a lot more expensive than media mail. And 20 x 20 x 24 boxes for books--those had better be some really sturdy boxes. Have you loaded one with books & weighed it; & seen if the box seems likely to make a x-country trip intact by UPS ground?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2014, 11:31 PM
 
5 posts, read 12,077 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
They're called "cube and a half" 12x12x18 cube and a half box - Google Search

About arm width wide for easy carrying
Commonly available

Find a box maker in YOUR town.
Buy their seconds (mistakes) cheap.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I always went to the grocery and asked if I could get some of the boxes their eggs come in.
They are perfect size and have built in handles.

If you use UPS for a pick up you have to have everything weighed, addressed and paid for before they will come and pick anything up and you can do all of that online, even schedule the pick up.
Personally I would get rid of more stuff and I would never ship books anywhere unless they are very special, first print collectors books.
Most other books can be replaced via online or on an ereader.
UPS may also have an issue picking up 30 boxes at one time and you really need to make sure that everything is protected and packed tight if you are going UPS, USPS or FedEx and do not put the word "fragile" on anything, it is too tempting.
Thanks for the heads up about UPS! And unfortunately, I have a sentimental attachment to my books I think I could do a better job of weeding out the ones I don't feel I need but it's been a difficult task involving lots of cutting and re-taping lol I had no idea labeling "fragile" was bad! I'll definitely avoid doing so, thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Your best bet is to call the shipping companies you are considering and ask them for their pricing guidelines. Also, keep in mind that if your boxes do not weigh much they may charge you based on the demensions of the box rather than the weight.
Thanks, I'm definitely going to call around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
A friend of mine rented a U-Haul and was able to store it at a locked U-Haul storage center until he found a place to live. It was the cheapest option.
We have a place to live, thankfully! Just a matter of getting our stuff to the other side of the country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
Well, at first you said "media mail via USPS". That's the cheapest way to ship books. As for boxes, (Free) liquor store boxes are great for books. A good size & sturdy.

UPS will likely be a lot more expensive than media mail. And 20 x 20 x 24 boxes for books--those had better be some really sturdy boxes. Have you loaded one with books & weighed it; & seen if the box seems likely to make a x-country trip intact by UPS ground?
Sorry for the confusion! What I meant is that I am already shipping my books media mail in small file-box-sized boxes. My question about what boxes to use was aimed at all my other stuff -- kitchen things, files, shoes, etc. I was going to put them in big 20 x 20 x 24s but I'm realizing they are way too big (and probably wouldn't arrive intact).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 07:19 AM
 
106 posts, read 180,581 times
Reputation: 132
I used the big boxes, maybe even a little bigger than you mention in your last post on this. I used UHaul boxes (labeled as suitable for shipping) and a standard moving box from Home Depot.

They made the trip but if I had to do it over again, I'd have used Heavy Duty moving boxes. Home Depot has several sizes of these that would probably work for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2014, 07:42 PM
 
49 posts, read 45,003 times
Reputation: 81
[quote=WoodyWW;36217174]Well, at first you said "media mail via USPS". That's the cheapest way to ship books. As for boxes, (Free) liquor store boxes are great for books. A good size & sturdy.

The boxes from the Liquor store may be sturdy but don't show up at the Post Office trying to ship something in them or any other box that is labeled ORM-D or labeled for any liquid or aerosol, automatic rejection!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:09 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top