Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:13 PM

35 posts, read 112,773 times

Advertisements

I need some guidance. I just found out I am relocating to Lincoln, NE for my job. I leave my job in Wilmington, NC on January 7th and have to be in Lincoln, NE by January 13. Others who have recently relocated used the upack services and loaded up storage boxes but didn't like to have to wait 2 weeks for their stuff. I don't have a problem waiting but like most people, I would like to move with my stuff and have the move / drive done at the same time.

A little about me. Single, female, early 30s, fiercely independent. I have driven cross country alone in a car. My last relocation from NY to NC was in January 2005 and I drove a 12' truck, no towing though. I have no problem driving in the winter weather or operating a big 16' truck. I have no issue driving alone either. My concerns are:

1. I have a 1-bedroom apt and even with a washer and dryer, I'm pretty sure I won't use all the space in the truck. All that empty space seems unsafe.
2. My 2001 Taurus on the tow dolly causing safety issues with the truck.
3. Driving through the mountains of NC into TN in the truck.

Because I am leaving so soon, I only have time to give away some stuff but no time to sell stuff. And I'm not giving away a $700 couch or donating my barely used washer and dryer. Definately there are some things I will sell just to get rid of b/c I don't use them. I don't have the luxury of selling my car or upgrading to an SUV. And then again this is a 1400 mile trip. Just how much $$ will I be spending for gas with a 16' truck?

There are so many options and so little time to make decisions. Rent a truck and tow dolly as planned? Ship stuff in upack box and drive my own car? Rent the truck and ship the car? I have no one else to ask but you dear, sweet internets. What would all you experienced relocators do? If I were your sister or daughter or niece, what would you say?

Last edited by arena73; 12-23-2007 at 10:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 03:10 AM

109 posts, read 451,712 times
Default You sound like me

Too bad we are not leaving at the same time, I am in NC also and I would say....hey lets share the expense of a Penske. Then our money would not be wasted.....lol.I have the same dilemna...I don't have enough for a truck, and too much for my car. Also my car cannot tow, or haul a trailer of any kind it can't take the weight, and like you I cannot afford a bigger car.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:03 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
I suggest you look into ABF. They have partial space on trailers but they also have "relo cubes" which you can rent one or as many as you need. I used ABF and it was the best and cheapest move ever.
Don

Old 12-24-2007, 11:12 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,555,537 times
Don't fear about not using all the space. You will pack towards the front and empty towards the back, so weight won't be unusual... You can also get locking bars that go across the back of your final row and "pins" or locks it in place so it won't slide.

The towing equipment that they provide is also very good. You indicate you are very comfortable driving and after a few miles you'll get the hang of it. Just watch the extra length when pulling into a gas station and making your final turn from the pump after filling up - if you turn too soon the tow'd vehicle might not have cleared the pump.

You will be fine - and by the way, welcome to Nebraska. Lincoln is a very nice town and I hope you enjoy it.

A fellow Nebraskan. Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2007, 11:15 AM

By the way, join the Nebraska thread of City-Data forum. Everyone is real nice.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:57 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
And don't forget that great shortcut to Lincoln; North on I-35 from Kansas City, then take Nebraska 2 West from I-35 (starts in IA) into Lincoln. Good road! You shjp0ild be fine with the other advice everyone's given. The ideal situation is to avoid getting into situations where you will have to back up with the dolly attached to the truck...

I-40 through the Gorge in NC is no big deal; just do the speed limit or (less if you're comfortable there) and don't worry about the traffic behind you; they'll get over it!

Old 12-24-2007, 10:20 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,652 times
with the 16' truck and your car on the dolly, you can figure on about 10 MPG max if it's a GAS engine.. around 14-16 if it's a DIESEL engine.

I'd load the truck with anything and everything you want to take with you.

As others noted, driving the truck with the hauler on th eback is no biggie.. just be sure to give yourself added room when you: TURN, LANE CHANGE, or STOP. The trailer has either surge brakes or electric brakes, so it will give you braking power anyway.

You also want to make sure that the trailer is SECURELY hooked up to the truck, including safety chains hooked up. It's best to make a cradle out the chains by putting the one that is on the right side of the tongue on the left vehicle hook and vice versa.

Another thing that most people don't do that I would definitely advise..

Plan your route ahead of time and let someone know what that route will be... and changes from your pre planned route, let that person know! Most folks NEVER need this, but in that ONE event that you have trouble, emergency, etc, it WILL come in handy.

Another good thing is to make sure that if you feel tired, stop in a store, preferably a bigger, well lit truck stop type store (where there are plenty of people) and grab a coffee, tea, or Mt. Dew.. It'll give you a chance to stretch, caffeine up, and fuel up, if needed.

Good luck on your trip.. and best wishes for your new job..

Old 12-25-2007, 06:50 AM

947 posts, read 3,572,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arena73 View Post
I need some guidance. I just found out I am relocating to Lincoln, NE for my job. I leave my job in Wilmington, NC on January 7th and have to be in Lincoln, NE by January 13. Others who have recently relocated used the upack services and loaded up storage boxes but didn't like to have to wait 2 weeks for their stuff. I don't have a problem waiting but like most people, I would like to move with my stuff and have the move / drive done at the same time.

A little about me. Single, female, early 30s, fiercely independent. I have driven cross country alone in a car. My last relocation from NY to NC was in January 2005 and I drove a 12' truck, no towing though. I have no problem driving in the winter weather or operating a big 16' truck. I have no issue driving alone either. My concerns are:

1. I have a 1-bedroom apt and even with a washer and dryer, I'm pretty sure I won't use all the space in the truck. All that empty space seems unsafe.
2. My 2001 Taurus on the tow dolly causing safety issues with the truck.
3. Driving through the mountains of NC into TN in the truck.

Because I am leaving so soon, I only have time to give away some stuff but no time to sell stuff. And I'm not giving away a $700 couch or donating my barely used washer and dryer. Definately there are some things I will sell just to get rid of b/c I don't use them. I don't have the luxury of selling my car or upgrading to an SUV. And then again this is a 1400 mile trip. Just how much $$ will I be spending for gas with a 16' truck?

There are so many options and so little time to make decisions. Rent a truck and tow dolly as planned? Ship stuff in upack box and drive my own car? Rent the truck and ship the car? I have no one else to ask but you dear, sweet internets. What would all you experienced relocators do? If I were your sister or daughter or niece, what would you say?

I can't offer much too much advice, but just wanted to say a few things..

First of all., check out this thread: My 2 cents on moving/relocating to a different state....

Second of all... Enjoy seeing the sights as you drive.. I hope you enjoy Nebraska. I'm in Western South Carolina now and have applied for work in a few different Nebraska towns before (Ord and Norfolk)

Old 12-26-2007, 04:34 PM

35 posts, read 112,773 times
Default Can't do ABF

I just found out I can't do ABF. My origination spot doesn't have relocubes and there is no place for a 28 foot trailer. And they don't allow live loads. I guess I will have to drive the truck and tow my car. I just hate the idea of all that gas, towing the car and possible bad weather. I suppose it's for the best as I didn't like the idea of my stuff moving without me. Just gotta get psyched up for the drive. Thanks for all the advice and good wishes!

Old 12-26-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arena73 View Post
I just hate the idea of all that gas, towing the car and possible bad weather. I suppose it's for the best as I didn't like the idea of my stuff moving without me. Just gotta get psyched up for the drive. Thanks for all the advice and good wishes!

You will do good. Just give yourself a little extra time cushion in case you want to cut it short one day or you want to go slow in an area you might not be comfortable or in case you hit bad weather. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues