U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 02:12 PM

5 posts, read 8,765 times

Advertisements

Moving from Virginia to Florida, 750 miles, and will
Be pulling a 5x8 uhaul trailer with my Saturn Vue. (2005, AWD). Uhaul says it'll be fine but I'm worried of course.
Not taking much heavy stuff-queen sized mattress, bed frame comes apart, and a 42in flatscreen tv with small stand. And some boxes of course but those are the big things.
I worry this is gonna screw the transmission on my car. It's new, rebuilt in January of this year. I'm worried that driving on interstate will be dangerous with trailer. (Mostly 77 south through NC and over 200 miles on 295 through Georgia, but also going down into central Florida)

Any advice or reassurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 03:31 PM

5,190 posts, read 8,314,583 times
You can read about other owner's experiences here:

Saturn Vue's towing capacity [Archive] - SaturnFans.com Forums

Sounds like the Vue will do OK.

Be sure to follow Uhaul's instructions re loading trailer ( ie, heavy stuff up front, not at end of trailer, etc)

Allow plenty of stopping distance. Make long, slow stops.

Interstates are best. Usually smooth and straight. Just cruise along slower than usual. Avoid switching lanes.

People do it every day.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:15 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,153,510 times
I pulled a 12 ft u-haul trailer with my Honda pilot from New Orleans to New York City. First time in NYC...through the Lincoln Tunnel and right up through Manhattan like I knew what I was doing !!! I can't address the transmission questions, but I can tell you what I've learned:

* Before you pull into a gas station, fast food place, etc take a good look at the parking lot and be sure there's room for you to get in and out, and not get in a jam. Hopefully you are better at backing up than I was at the time. If you have time, take the trailer to a big parking lot and practice backing it up, and not just in a straight line. Practice backing it around a corner, like into a driveway. I kinda figured it out, but I usually parked in an adjacent large parking lot, like the outskirts of the Wal-Mart lot, and walked back to where I wanted to go.

* As reed303 said, leave lots of room between you and the guy in front, and if you have to stop or slow down, do it nice and steady, not jerky or a 'slam on the brakes' kind of thing. The trailer can react badly to that.

* the noise of the hitch on the back of the car is gonna be un-nerving. The trailer isn't really pulling the back of the car off.... Just check the connections every time you stop, and turn that little tightening knob each time. Also check the chain and the light connections each time.

* Also like reed303 said, stay over to the right lanes and leave the fast speeds and crazy passing to others. Triple check your mirrors before changing lanes.

* Since I'm a lady driver, I didn't know much about car engines, etc. My dad told me that when going down a large hill, put the car in the lower gear (on my Pilot that was "2" ) and let that hold the speed going down the hill. It worked like a charm...I went up and over a huge hill somewhere in Pennsylvania on I-95 and never had to touch the brakes on the way down. Saves your brakes from overheating.

* For the backing up, my dad (who can back a trailer through the eye of a needle) said to put my hands on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel, and then turn the wheel the way you wanted the trailer to go. That is different advice from people who will tell you to turn the wheel the opposite way, but putting your hands on the bottom does the same thing.

Good luck!!

Old 08-26-2014, 08:20 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,169,019 times
Make sure they give you a trailer with good tires. UHaul flogs their equipment and probably half of the trailers I've been offered by them had one or more bald or damaged tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or