U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:39 PM

3,092 posts, read 2,182,495 times

Advertisements

We all know that moving is a P*I*T*A*…but I'm not sure that as many ppl realize that getting settled is just as much a pain.
Whether you moved to a house or apartment, how long did it take for you to get settled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 01:48 PM

5,045 posts, read 5,966,482 times
I also do two things first that help a great deal:

1. Set the beds up and make them. It's worth take a few minutes away from unloading to do that and will make a huge difference at the end of the day.

2. Make a transition box beforehand and keep it in a central location. The transition box contains some light bulbs, tp, paper towels, duct tape, basic hand tools, pencil, paper . . .

Those two items can make the move go a lot smoother.

I was unpacked in three days (it was in the 100s and I was unloading relocubes over Labor Day on my own) but it took me about two weeks before the entire house was 100% functional in each room.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:01 PM

334 posts, read 445,258 times
It took me 2-3 weeks to be settled in temporarily. Then 2 months to be somewhat settled in.

I've been here almost 4 months and I still have places where I can put new things.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:53 PM

414 posts, read 884,536 times
I honestly really enjoy setting up a new place. It probably takes 2-3 months before it starts to feel more like "home", but I like the blank slate of a completely empty space to make your own.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:14 PM

11,210 posts, read 8,356,190 times
My last two moves we showed up with two suitcases each...and that's all. Getting settled meant buying stuff.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:07 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,014,639 times
It totally depends on the packing. I have moved 7 times in my adult life.

When I was packed up by professional movers sometimes it took me several months to find everything as the packing seemed random e,g, shelf pins dropped in a box with towels or electric tooth brush placed in a box with books. Since I could not find one thing I needed it would put off finishing that task e.g. can not unpack the books until I can put the shelves together.

Now that I am more experienced and do the packing myself it is more like a week to unpack everything but the kitchen stuff, and a few more weeks to complete the kitchen as I rewash everything doing a load or two each night after work. (I have tons of dishes and kitchen stuff.)

Old 08-28-2014, 12:42 AM

24,763 posts, read 23,720,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
We all know that moving is a P*I*T*A*…but I'm not sure that as many ppl realize that getting settled is just as much a pain.
Whether you moved to a house or apartment, how long did it take for you to get settled?
Months. Everything is a different shape, size or capacity--kitchen cabinets, closets, rooms. I have to move things around a few times until I'm happy.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:51 AM

35,121 posts, read 40,013,554 times
We have been here 4 years and I am still unpacking, sorting, rearranging and trying to decide what goes where and I only have curtains on the bedroom windows and the bathroom window, otherwise no curtains.
One reason is I hate curtains, draperies, blinds, shades and any of that other window anything available and another reason is we live on the outside of town in a more rural area so no neighbors can look out of their window and see into mine unless they have binoculars and can see through the timber.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:51 AM

5,045 posts, read 5,966,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I only have curtains on the bedroom windows and the bathroom window, otherwise no curtains.
I know the feeling! The last time I lived in a rural area, I just had blinds on the bedroom and bathroom windows.

When I moved in last year about this time, I had a dedicated "Window Afternoon." I lined up my drill, screwdriver bits, wall anchors, ruler, pencil, and then bought several new blinds and curtain rods the day before.

I went window by window, fixing the problems: new anchors and screws where needed, new blinds, new rods, whatever. It took about four hours, but it was worth it to have those annoyances fixed.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:09 PM

239 posts, read 522,581 times
Before kids, about 2 days. After kids, about 1 week. My husband hates to live out of boxes and unpacks as fast as he can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or