U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 08:25 PM

545 posts, read 1,149,698 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from the Chicago area to Phoenix in a few weeks. I'm trying to determine whether to trailer my car or drive it. The Penske trailer is another $350, but I figure it'd cost me at least $200 in gas alone to drive my own car out there. We'd be towing it behind a 16' truck (the 22' or 26' is another ~$1000 and not needed). What kind of mileage would you expect driving the truck with the car carrier? Looks like our route will take us through St. Louis to Tulsa and OKC, then Amarillo west to Albuquerque and Flagstaff and down to Phoenix. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 08:35 PM

1,847 posts, read 4,083,643 times
I vote that you tow it. It will take extra fuel to tow the car, but not the amount that the car would be burn.

I think if money was really tight, you could do some math to see how much you can save.

One advantage to towing is that there will be two drivers in the Penske to take turns driving. If you are both driving separately (one in car and one in penske) then nobody gets a break.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:09 AM

3,823 posts, read 8,920,381 times
we recently had to make 2 trips from SC to WI in Uhauls; and on one we trailered our 2nd car. The fuel mileage difference between having the trailer and not was negligible, and once we got thru the mountains both trips felt about the same behind the wheel. And for the little extra cost to put the car on a trailer vs the extra 1000 miles on the car's odometer and it's gas use, pulling it made sense for us.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:16 PM

545 posts, read 1,149,698 times
Thanks guys! Pretty much what I figured. Not much of a cost difference and I won't have to worry about miles on the car, flat tires, or any other unexpected issues along the way. Seems like kind of a no brainier, but just making sure!

Old 09-04-2014, 05:17 AM

25 posts, read 30,504 times
The Penske trucks get between 5-10 mpg depending upon whether it is a diesel engine or gasoline engine. Diesel will do better towing and gets better mpg but will likely cost more to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues