Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 05:02 PM

49 posts, read 144,845 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I have posted on here, which I guess is a good thing. Looking back at my posts from 2009 it seems now my family may be in another relocation predicament. Since my first post in 2008 we have moved from Vancouver, Canada to NY to Seattle to Chicago. each move has been increasingly harder emotionally and logistically, as we have added a preschooler and 2nd grader to the mix. We moved from Seattle to Chicago just over a year ago. My husband was having a hard time finding work in WA and he was offered a very good job in Chicago so we bit the bullet and did it. As challenging as it's been, I'm glad we did it. We've made good friends, we love our neighborhood and we have a better quality of life here than we did before. We just found out that the property where my husband works is cutting back and his position will not be needed within a month from now. He is a chef and works for a corporate hospitality company. Here are our current options.....

1) He can stay with the company and get transferred to Boston or Miami. He would probably need to move within a month and a half. Relocation is covered, we would keep all our benefits, and he would get a position and sizeable pay increase. He's making $78,000 now and these position pay between $92,000-$115,000. My kids and I would stay in Chicago until winter break and join him after.

If he stays with his current company, there are so many opportunities for advancement and this could be a life long endeavor with them. They have properties all over the world

2) He can leave the company he's with and look for work with another corporation/restaurant here in Chicago.

If he ventures out and tries to find a comparable company to work for that has the same longevity and career advancement, we have about a month to find something which may or may not happen and we would lose the other opportunity in the meantime.

Some of our friends suggested he stay in Chicago and take any job that covers our expenses just so we don't have to move. As much as I don't want to move I don't see this as a good choice either.

Ive been sick to my stomach since I found out, and really don't know what to do....

Any words of advice or clarity would be so appreciated

Crystal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 06:02 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,576,067 times
OP, what does he want to do? A pay increase likely means more responsibilities. Does he like the company and its policies? I would let him take the lead on where he wants to work, first.

Also, none of the cities mentioned are obnoxiously bad. There are many pluses to living in Chicago, Boston, or Miami. It's not like they are trying to get you to transfer to West Podunk.

This is a time when many are struggling to make over 40K a year. Be very thankful that he has salable skills with high earnings and dwell on that if you start to feel depressed. A move is nothing but a little short-term pain! The kids are young enough to start over anywhere, if that is the decision.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:09 PM

7,490 posts, read 13,540,408 times
If you decide to move, and were generally OK with Vancouver, NY, or Chicago, then I would suggest you pick Boston over Miami. Miami is different enough both weather-wise and culturally that you may not be comfortable there. (and they get hurricanes ;-)

And as said, the kids are young enough that they will do fine. We moved from Chicago to Denver when our two were 2 and 7 with no problems at all.

Good Luck what ever you decide.........

Old 09-04-2014, 07:48 PM

49 posts, read 144,845 times
My husband is thinking practically and believes transferring with work is the safest bet, in which I have to agree with him. Even though it feels like the most painful of all the decisions.

As far as Miami over Boston goes, my husband opened this same Boston property years ago, so the transition would be smooth. He lived in Boston for 6 years and tells me all the time how great it was. He really does like this company and has a real sense of pride working for them. Plus I'm scared of hurricanes

reed303 - our kids are also around the same age so thanks for sharing your experience, I think the scariest part about moving is how it will affect the kids. It's good to know that you had success transitioning them

Old 09-04-2014, 08:34 PM

3,604 posts, read 9,037,939 times
I'm married to a chef too and relocation is part of the package even if you stay with the same company. If he likes this company and they like him enough to move him and give him a substantial raise I would stay with them. $100k+ jobs in the hospitality industry are getting harder to come by with the new generation of "chefs" who will work for $40k and get hired even if they aren't qualified. Boston is a great town, good schools and a great food scene, more grounded than Miami. Keeping your benefits and having security of a job that he likes along with a company he knows is a good place to be in. It's an adventure being in the hospitality industry and if you treat it as a way to see new places and experience new things it can be a great life.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:22 AM

5,846 posts, read 6,149,714 times
I just want to say I understand your feelings and how frustrating it can be to move across the country. While we have not moved as often as you, we have had 4 interstate moves since 2006. We are now in Denver and I have a 7 and 4 year old. My husband moved every 2-3 years, and would move at the drop of a hat if a better opportunity came along. He does not appreciate the affect it has on kids. Such a lifestyle worked for him and he considers kids "flexible" and does not factor them into the equation (not at this age anyway). Further, I handle virtually 100% of the logistics of a move and I don't think he fully appreciates the work that goes into it. I have spent 2 years where we are now, and have just now gotten to the point where we have established relationships with all our doctors etc. As far as making friends and personal relationships- I have a few, but generally, I find myself holding back and not really wanting to invest myself emotionally because I always expect to move again.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:03 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,016,792 times
I gotta say Boston would be my choice too went to college there and had the best time of my life and there is so much history of our country there . You most likely would not like Miami since you don't speak Spanish I am assuming which is a lot of their community . I would stay with the company and do what you have to do . I mean Im assuming you are already used to a northeastern winter correct ? you would love Boston and I think your kids would love it too .I would live there now except my husband wont live there and my health was a lot better when I lived there as well .

Last edited by phonelady61; 09-06-2014 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues