U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 09:57 AM

995 posts, read 1,745,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
Not so much regret as frustration if I made the best choice. I have to realize that I have live with the choices I make and that my current move is only temporary I am itching to get back out west. Small towns may sound great in a book but they are boring as hell in real life. I only guaranteed to be here for 1 year, the length of the program.
So where did you move from and to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 11:00 AM

4,785 posts, read 5,322,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I recently moved from Ohio to Arizona....mainly for the weather. However, after a few weeks here, I'm really having second thoughts. I moved on my own, and I know no one here. Anyone else ever move and then wonder if they made the right decision?
Moved from Wisconsin to South Florida 19 years ago.

I agree with the other poster who suggested joining meetup.com.

People from all over relocate to AZ so there will be tons of others looking to make friends as well.

best of luck!

Old 10-07-2014, 03:39 AM

10,495 posts, read 8,700,850 times
My ex and her man sold their house near Denver, Colorado and moved to Hawaii, where they had been many times before. They were tired of the snow in the winter and summer heat and wanted to re-live their vacation experiences. But it wasn't the same. Six months later they moved back to Colorado to a lovely place in the mountains, where they had previously spent a lot of time. It wasn't the same. Six months later they moved back to the town from whence they had originally come.

I think the moral of this story is that it's fine to be a tourist in paradise, but don't try to live there.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:08 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,483,269 times
yes many times

I moved from SF to NYC at my employer's expense. Probably a mistake, but it was ok in NYC. Then I moved from NYC back to MN where I'm from. That was a big mistake. Then I moved to Atlanta from MN... an even worse mistake. Now I'm in the Chicago area, which is a little better, but still not really where I want to be.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:35 AM

13,842 posts, read 25,226,802 times
I've always had regrets but in time I adapted. It's a trade off. I moved from MA to TX and that was a culture shock for sure. Probably took me a year or so to know what end was up. The worst move I ever made was from UT to MN. I so hated the weather there. As soon as the snow started to melt, the tornadoes started. But that was the best move I ever made, career wise. There were amazing opportunities in MN that I never would have gotten in UT, even though I worked for the same company in both states.

When I finally got to move some place I wanted to go. I moved to Vegas. And just like you, I moved alone. I had big plans with an aunt and uncle who lived here but they died before I made the move. 15 MN winters convinced me I didn't want to ever see another snow flake. But there are things I miss in MN too. It's a road not taken thing. There are always things you will regret when you move. I have lived literally all over the world and I wouldn't change a thing. It's an adventure I never would have had if I had stayed in my own back yard. If I had been a wealthy person, I would have moved more!

It's tough to move someplace and know no-one. Takes time and effort to get to know people. But it will happen!

Old 10-08-2014, 12:03 AM

367 posts, read 394,643 times
Quote:
I recently moved from Ohio to Arizona....mainly for the weather. However, after a few weeks here, I'm really having second thoughts. I moved on my own, and I know no one here. Anyone else ever move and then wonder if they made the right decision?
I just relocated from Arizona (Scottsdale) last month, after four years there. I returned to Houston (my hometown).

I moved there because my parents were moving there, and they sold me on it. Within the first week, I had doubts that it was the right decision. I remember feeling like there was nothing to do other than walk around malls or those artificial town squares in the suburbs. The winters weren't any warmer than my hometown, but those desert summers were horrible. I missed the greenery, and in the end, Arizona simply didn't feel like home to me. I always felt like a tourist in that state.

After four years of that, I am happily back in Texas. Even though I moved here several weeks ago, I don't have the same reservations I had when I moved to Arizona (which kicked in when I had been there for less than a week). My parents still live in Arizona, although my lifelong friendships are here in Houston.

In short, I believe that it is possible to regret a long distance move. Phoenix was so drastically different from what I was used to, and I didn't have any connections. Some people are able to move to a new region and adjust perfectly, but I was not one of those people.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:39 PM

995 posts, read 1,745,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
I just relocated from Arizona (Scottsdale) last month, after four years there. I returned to Houston (my hometown).

I moved there because my parents were moving there, and they sold me on it. Within the first week, I had doubts that it was the right decision. I remember feeling like there was nothing to do other than walk around malls or those artificial town squares in the suburbs. The winters weren't any warmer than my hometown, but those desert summers were horrible. I missed the greenery, and in the end, Arizona simply didn't feel like home to me. I always felt like a tourist in that state.

After four years of that, I am happily back in Texas. Even though I moved here several weeks ago, I don't have the same reservations I had when I moved to Arizona (which kicked in when I had been there for less than a week). My parents still live in Arizona, although my lifelong friendships are here in Houston.

In short, I believe that it is possible to regret a long distance move. Phoenix was so drastically different from what I was used to, and I didn't have any connections. Some people are able to move to a new region and adjust perfectly, but I was not one of those people.
Just curious......if you regretted it after one week, what kept you there four years?

I've been in Arizona a month and a half, and I'm ready to reverse my decision.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:37 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,658,601 times
Quote:
So where did you move from and to?
Hi jimdc,

Sorry for not replying. I am terrible at not replying and checking to see if people reply or ask questions. I moved from Colorado now living in Georgia. Quite a change and major shock to the system.

I saw your original post and noticed you moved from Midwest to Arizona. I moved from Michigan to Arizona to attend school. It was a major shock to me living in what I considered a small town to a metro area. Boy my first summer there was crazy. It was wild it was hot and dry heat initially and then the monsoon season hit and we got all these storms. At times I think I really miss Arizona but then remember how it is. I wonder if I more so miss my friends and people I knew there. Not the heat and humidity of summer season. Boy was it a shocker having the temps reach 118 my last summer there and that broke a record. Is it a shock for you with how green the midwest is and how dry Phoenix is?

Old 10-09-2014, 10:58 PM

367 posts, read 394,643 times
Quote:
Just curious......if you regretted it after one week, what kept you there four years?

I've been in Arizona a month and a half, and I'm ready to reverse my decision.
I wouldn't say that I regretted it in the first week, so much as that I was underwhelmed. I kept an open mind for the first two years, thinking that it would grow on me. I stayed for family, work, and to finish up my degree.

Also, in my mind, I was intending to use Arizona as a home base, eventually heading further west to Southern California (LA or San Diego) for cooler and greener pastures (this seems to be a recurring theme among transplants to Phoenix). However, that would have been expensive and I might not have felt at home there either. Not to mention the overall congestion.

In addition, my parents live in Phoenix, as well as my snowbird grandmother for several months out of the year. My extended family is mostly concentrated in other Western states, so it was nice to have family both in Phoenix and nearby states.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:38 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,557,308 times
Yes I have but that being said I think you need to give it more time. You don't want to regret not giving it a full chance?
Are you employed or in school? Having structure can help and also will help you feel less alone. Like others stated joining a group or a hobby. Even meeting one person can make things feel less lonely.
It takes time for a place to feel more like home but even small things like finding a favorite place to eat can also help.
They say it takes a good 6 months to even know if you made the right choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or