U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 08:04 AM

994 posts, read 1,744,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
Is it a shock for you with how green the midwest is and how dry Phoenix is?
I actually found the dry, brown climate attractive. I was taken by the weather, the mountains, and the terrain which was so different. What's funny is that those charms (as well as other things that attracted me) were still there when I visited last spring apartment hunting, but they seem to be lost to me now. Wish I understood why that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 12:44 PM

366 posts, read 394,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I actually found the dry, brown climate attractive. I was taken by the weather, the mountains, and the terrain which was so different. What's funny is that those charms (as well as other things that attracted me) were still there when I visited last spring apartment hunting, but they seem to be lost to me now. Wish I understood why that is.
This was pretty much my experience as well. I think that as a tourist or recent transplant to Phoenix, the desert climate seems exotic. This is especially true if you come from a place without any mountains. Over time, it becomes less exotic and more normal, to where it just loses its appeal.

When I first moved there, my cousin and uncle were visiting from South Carolina, and my cousin was complaining about how brown Arizona was, saying how he didn't understand why anyone would actually choose to live there. I disagreed, stating that the desert had a beauty of its own. However, after living there awhile, it wore on me and I needed to be somewhere with more greenery.

By the end, I wasn't noticing the majestic sunsets or the mountains. I was noticing how everything was brown, with ugly cinder block fences. I didn't appreciate how all the streets were linear and spaced one mile apart, on a grid. I felt like there was nothing but tract homes until you hit an intersection at the end of each mile, where there would be a grocery store. Just felt so generic to me.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:56 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,744,056 times
My husband & I moved to the Olympic Peninsula of Washington 4 years ago from Southern California. I was a SoCal native. We didn't know anyone when we moved here. We had visited here on vacation. We wanted to retire here. We left SoCal because it had become too expensive to retire there, because our family & friends had left or died off, our only child had left, and it was not the same California that we had lived in & loved. However, we are very isolated here & neither of us have made friends, although we have tried hard. I was outright shunned at work and in the neighborhood. I stay in the house now. It is very lonely. Have never felt like this before. So I guess that I do regret this move, although we really had no choice, economically. I looked into meetup.com and all groups were very far away so that was not feasible.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 10-10-2014 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-10-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
This was pretty much my experience as well. I think that as a tourist or recent transplant to Phoenix, the desert climate seems exotic. This is especially true if you come from a place without any mountains. Over time, it becomes less exotic and more normal, to where it just loses its appeal.

When I first moved there, my cousin and uncle were visiting from South Carolina, and my cousin was complaining about how brown Arizona was, saying how he didn't understand why anyone would actually choose to live there. I disagreed, stating that the desert had a beauty of its own. However, after living there awhile, it wore on me and I needed to be somewhere with more greenery.

By the end, I wasn't noticing the majestic sunsets or the mountains. I was noticing how everything was brown, with ugly cinder block fences. I didn't appreciate how all the streets were linear and spaced one mile apart, on a grid. I felt like there was nothing but tract homes until you hit an intersection at the end of each mile, where there would be a grocery store. Just felt so generic to me.
Gee....I can relate to everything you're saying. However, I've only been here a month and a half.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:24 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,744,056 times
Well, I wish someone...anyone...would speak to me directly on the forum here. because this is just as bad as living in Washington & having no friends.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:39 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,374,464 times
Moved from Northern California to the Ozarks a bit over five years ago. No complaints. My wife and I were both military brats and I spent 12 years in the military myself before we married. We knew what we were getting into. No complaints and nary a second thought. Lots of moves under both our belts.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:39 AM

11,210 posts, read 8,350,431 times
Definitely second guessing the move from Hawaii to Atlanta. do I get the prize for dumbest move ever?

Old 10-11-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Well, I wish someone...anyone...would speak to me directly on the forum here. because this is just as bad as living in Washington & having no friends.
I can sympathize with you. I think it is just hard to find ways to drum up new friends. While I don't discount your situation, think what it would be like without a spouse. That's my situation.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Definitely second guessing the move from Hawaii to Atlanta. do I get the prize for dumbest move ever?
If you had friends and activities when you were in Hawaii, then I'd guess "yes"?

I always thought I would LOVE to live in Hawaii, but after my current experience, I don't think I would EVER try that move without a partner.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:49 PM

340 posts, read 484,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I recently moved from Ohio to Arizona....mainly for the weather. However, after a few weeks here, I'm really having second thoughts. I moved on my own, and I know no one here. Anyone else ever move and then wonder if they made the right decision?
Yep. I moved from the Twin Cities, MN to El Paso, TX. I think I realized El Paso wasn't right for me the second or third day after moving! And and all these years later I'm still here and still don't want to be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or