Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 04:29 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,709,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58
I recently moved from Ohio to Arizona....mainly for the weather. However, after a few weeks here, I'm really having second thoughts. I moved on my own, and I know no one here. Anyone else ever move and then wonder if they made the right decision?
Im sorry your feeling this way....

My friends wanna move to Florida and im worried about them going there........ Florida has a PRETTY FACE but it IS NOT A G00D PLACE TO BE!! -- Not at all..........

It is warmer? YES!!

BUT DOES THAT MEAN ITS BETTER???

Not in the slightest!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 03:32 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,382,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Im sorry your feeling this way....

My friends wanna move to Florida and im worried about them going there........ Florida has a PRETTY FACE but it IS NOT A G00D PLACE TO BE!! -- Not at all..........

It is warmer? YES!!

BUT DOES THAT MEAN ITS BETTER???

Not in the slightest!!!!!!!
Tell them about my situation. YES, I was looking forward to the sunny climate. But that doesn't take long to become a minor issue among many major shortcomings.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
When you move, there is always, always something you have to "give up" in the old place. You can't change without leaving things behind--that's the point of change. However, on paper and philosophically, it's easier to say, harder to live through it. After six or seven major moves, depending on how you count 'em, I can assure you, OP, that moving is a balancing act--getting more of what you want in one place, weighing things, etc. to come up with the right balance.

You have to remember that there was something that drew you to Arizona in the first place, perhaps the same thing that drew me to Arizona, too. Maybe, since you're so new to the state, it would be best to focus on the positive such as what drew you to one of the most ruggedly beautiful states in the US. Moreover, you've only live in Arizona for a few weeks, which is hardly enough time to feel the place out. It's hard to pick up the vibe of a city and/or state after only six weeks of living there, especially a relatively "young" state like Arizona that's still growing exponentially and developing a unique identity of its own.

Also, try to recall why it was you left Ohio in the first place. What was it about Ohio that drove you out--the weather, economy, culture, scenery, etc.? Once you identify and compartmentalize that, you may better appreciate your new home, which will help you move forward in your adjustment.

Even if you can't identify anything you like about Arizona because you've already become bitter towards the state and/or you've made up your mind that your move was a "mistake" and that you're eventually moving back to Ohio, look at what you can derive from your experience in Arizona--something, anything. Then, you're there for a reason. It's better to feel you're there for a reason than no reason at all. Everything in life will teach you a grand lesson, if you can identify and understand the underlying reasons for your "mistake," then you've gained something from the ordeal.

Remember, if given the choice, most people will choose stagnation over change, even potentially positive ones, since change is very threatening to our being. If you move back to Ohio, you're going to be, in effect, choosing stagnation over change, which, in this case, is Arizona. If you arrive at that realization after you've returned to Ohio, then I think returning would prove to be an even bigger mistake in the end than staying in Arizona.

It takes a strong constitution to move and adapt to life in a new, different place. Not saying you don't have that, but I don't think you've given it enough time. As someone who just recently moved back to Southern California in August after living in the Scottsdale area for two years, I can assure that Arizona is an easy place to meet people and make friends because just about everyone is a transplant/newcomer, although it's harder to "keep" those friends, so to speak, since it's such a transient/revolving-door state. Put yourself out there, get involved, strike up conversation and introduce yourself to people everyplace you go, etc. If you do that, you'll make friends, perhaps really good ones, and develop a strong social support network before you know it.

On a final note, and this is Arizona specific--most people in Arizona are very positive and upbeat and aren't particularly drawn to those with a pessimistic attitude or negative energy/aura, common among people from the Northeast and Great Lakes states. People in Arizona also have little tolerance for complaining, too, as people in the West are more likely to internalize conflict than let whatever unfiltered, uncensored thought or complaint that hits the brain come out of the mouth. Just food for thought. My advice for you--avoid complaining and look on the bright side. Try to learn optimism, if you can. Easier said than done, but certainly possible. Best of luck.
Another Dr. Phil wannabe.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:05 PM

20,687 posts, read 19,816,424 times
Okay, here is my story and no Dr. Phil ...

I moved from Germany to the Virginia with my American military husband. It was horrible at first. He got deployed for 3 months right after we moved there and I was stuck with no job, no work permission yet, a dirty filthy broken house, no a/c in 90F, horrible landlord, moscitos in the pool, weird neighbors, bad language skills, no computer and nobody to ask for help. I had to go on base to use the crappy computers to email my family and friends. I didn't know that I need to dial the "1" before other area codes .. i wondered why nothing in the stores costs as much as the label says (didnt know they ad tax) and I have never used a CC before.

My husband was hardly ever home.

When I finally built up my life and had a job and friends, we moved to California. Here, I hard to start from scratch again - new job, finding new friends, husband always gone.

It's doable. I have a good job, awesome friends, go to college, haven't moved in 4 years and almost get restless.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:14 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,303,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
When you move, there is always, always something you have to "give up" in the old place. You can't change without leaving things behind--that's the point of change. However, on paper and philosophically, it's easier to say, harder to live through it. After six or seven major moves, depending on how you count 'em, I can assure you, OP, that moving is a balancing act--getting more of what you want in one place, weighing things, etc. to come up with the right balance.

You have to remember that there was something that drew you to Arizona in the first place, perhaps the same thing that drew me to Arizona, too. Maybe, since you're so new to the state, it would be best to focus on the positive such as what drew you to one of the most ruggedly beautiful states in the US. Moreover, you've only live in Arizona for a few weeks, which is hardly enough time to feel the place out. It's hard to pick up the vibe of a city and/or state after only six weeks of living there, especially a relatively "young" state like Arizona that's still growing exponentially and developing a unique identity of its own.

Also, try to recall why it was you left Ohio in the first place. What was it about Ohio that drove you out--the weather, economy, culture, scenery, etc.? Once you identify and compartmentalize that, you may better appreciate your new home, which will help you move forward in your adjustment.

Even if you can't identify anything you like about Arizona because you've already become bitter towards the state and/or you've made up your mind that your move was a "mistake" and that you're eventually moving back to Ohio, look at what you can derive from your experience in Arizona--something, anything. Then, you're there for a reason. It's better to feel you're there for a reason than no reason at all. Everything in life will teach you a grand lesson, if you can identify and understand the underlying reasons for your "mistake," then you've gained something from the ordeal.

Remember, if given the choice, most people will choose stagnation over change, even potentially positive ones, since change is very threatening to our being. If you move back to Ohio, you're going to be, in effect, choosing stagnation over change, which, in this case, is Arizona. If you arrive at that realization after you've returned to Ohio, then I think returning would prove to be an even bigger mistake in the end than staying in Arizona.

It takes a strong constitution to move and adapt to life in a new, different place. Not saying you don't have that, but I don't think you've given it enough time. As someone who just recently moved back to Southern California in August after living in the Scottsdale area for two years, I can assure that Arizona is an easy place to meet people and make friends because just about everyone is a transplant/newcomer, although it's harder to "keep" those friends, so to speak, since it's such a transient/revolving-door state. Put yourself out there, get involved, strike up conversation and introduce yourself to people everyplace you go, etc. If you do that, you'll make friends, perhaps really good ones, and develop a strong social support network before you know it.

On a final note, and this is Arizona specific--most people in Arizona are very positive and upbeat and aren't particularly drawn to those with a pessimistic attitude or negative energy/aura, common among people from the Northeast and Great Lakes states. People in Arizona also have little tolerance for complaining, too, as people in the West are more likely to internalize conflict than let whatever unfiltered, uncensored thought or complaint that hits the brain come out of the mouth. Just food for thought. My advice for you--avoid complaining and look on the bright side. Try to learn optimism, if you can. Easier said than done, but certainly possible. Best of luck.
You don't speak for the people of Arizona. You are one of the most negative complainers on this board. If Arizona people are so upbeat and don't like listening to complaints then you must not fit in with anyone over there.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:51 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,130,741 times
Nope, just moved almost two months ago now eleven hundred miles from where I was living. Best move of my life. I found a job there before the move and moved about a month before the job to acclimate myself to the place. I was a bit hesitant at first. But it turned out more than well. Love the job and found an awesome girl. The last thing I was expecting or even wanting. Also just made a couple new friends at work. Turned out that it was the best thing to happen to me for some time. Just make the best of it and have a good attitude and things will most likely work out.

I have regretted some moves though in my past. Virginia beach was a flat out nightmare. It was like a giant suburb. Even though you have other cities near by like Norfolk, Chesapeake bay, Tidewater, New port news, etc. I did not like it there.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 10-23-2014 at 10:09 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 10:46 AM

20,687 posts, read 19,816,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Nope, just moved almost two months ago now eleven hundred miles from where I was living. Best move of my life. I found a job there before the move and moved about a month before the job to acclimate myself to the place. I was a bit hesitant at first. But it turned out more than well. Love the job and found an awesome girl. The last thing I was expecting or even wanting. Also just made a couple new friends at work. Turned out that it was the best thing to happen to me for some time. Just make the best of it and have a good attitude and things will most likely work out.

I have regretted some moves though in my past. Virginia beach was a flat out nightmare. It was like a giant suburb. Even though you have other cities near by like Norfolk, Chesapeake bay, Tidewater, New port news, etc. I did not like it there.

Been there, YIKES. 3 wasted years of my life!!!

Old 10-24-2014, 12:38 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,743,887 times
Yeah, I mean, not really regret as things have worked out, but at the time I regretted a Boston to SF move as the job I went to stunk and full apart within a year. I loved visiting SF, but not living there.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, I mean, not really regret as things have worked out, but at the time I regretted a Boston to SF move as the job I went to stunk and full apart within a year. I loved visiting SF, but not living there.
It is amazing how much you can enjoy visiting somewhere.....but when you move there, your feelings change dramatically. That's what happened to me.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:40 PM

9,885 posts, read 9,494,667 times
Heck i regretted a move that was local!

I decided to give another answer next post or two since the OP didn't want a Dr Phil answer

Last edited by ChicagoMeO; 10-24-2014 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues