U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:27 AM

100 posts, read 126,535 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the help... with what everyone is saying...I just might drive the truck myself... it doesn't sound as bad as I thought! I would still hire someone to load and unload for me... it's me and my 2 kids... so it's easier to hire someone to do it for us.. @younglisa7 don't alot of people say to stay away from Uhaul... just looking at stuff online...it seems like you can get stuck with a truck no one should be driving lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 11:02 AM

2,702 posts, read 3,712,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEY2112 View Post
Gotcha...thanks...I always look out for motorcycles...even when I drive a car...because I ride.... Do y'all know how much gas it would probably cost driving a truck like that? Am I better off just hiring movers or getting one of those container things if I have to hire someone to load and unload the truck anyway?
If you figure an average of 11 MPG and the cost per gallon of gas at say $3.40 then it would cost around $255 for gas...

Add that to the $880 (does this include the cost per mile).. and that is $1135... NOT including the insurance...... What does a moving company charge???

Old 09-18-2014, 11:58 AM

6,821 posts, read 3,799,360 times
Check the cost of P.O.D.S and similar companies.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:06 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,999,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
If you figure an average of 11 MPG and the cost per gallon of gas at say $3.40 then it would cost around $255 for gas...

Add that to the $880 (does this include the cost per mile).. and that is $1135... NOT including the insurance...... What does a moving company charge???
When I moved from Michigan, it ran over 3,000 dollars for the move, and I didn't get all of my stuff delivered in one piece, or at all.

Buyer beware.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:37 PM

100 posts, read 126,535 times
Yah that's the scary thing about getting movers....moving just sucks period lol Packrat quoted me $2200(uh that's more expensive than I thought)...10 business days delivery... PODS was $1880...something like that...6 days delivery... I'm gonna call a few movers just to compare...

Old 09-18-2014, 12:39 PM

20,517 posts, read 26,301,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEY2112 View Post
Thanks everyone for the help... with what everyone is saying...I just might drive the truck myself... it doesn't sound as bad as I thought! I would still hire someone to load and unload for me... it's me and my 2 kids... so it's easier to hire someone to do it for us.. @younglisa7 don't alot of people say to stay away from Uhaul... just looking at stuff online...it seems like you can get stuck with a truck no one should be driving lol
I don't know about others but I have used U-haul over the years with no problems.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:40 PM

10,317 posts, read 10,317,940 times
Drive slow until you get the feel of it. Do not assume everything is ok just because you can't see everyone.
Try not to pass unless you have to. You will get there nearly just as fast as everyone else. Keep mostly in the right lane. As another poster said. Make sure you don't have to back up. Keep watching your mirrors and make sure you don't cut too close on a turn. Make sure you don't run past any state hwy scales. Make sure in your mind that you are going to drive this truck safely. You will do just fine.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:48 PM

3,819 posts, read 8,885,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I don't know about others but I have used U-haul over the years with no problems.
Same here. We used one of their 26' trucks on a one way move WI to SC a few years back, and we just got done making 2 trips back to WI using their 20' trucks (and an auto transport) and everything ran fine and that was including thru the TN/NC mountain portion, etc.

OP if you do make the drive, best to watch for truckstops (Loves, Pilot, etc) for fuel (especially if you need diesel) and for some quick food on the way. Much easier to fill up or park in one of those then some standard restaurant parking lot with a bigger truck.
Same goes for a hotel, find those that advertise parking for trucks and buses, again saves parking headaches.
Drive with caution, swing wider on turns, and even though rental companies tend to say its not needed, if the sign for a weigh station says "all trucks must stop", best to drive thru it rather then take a chance skipping by.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:40 PM

10,281 posts, read 11,166,011 times
A good driver can do it, but everything is harder and takes longer. The more you can avoid big cities and steep inclines, either up or down, the better.

Have a good lock for the tailgate.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:07 PM

11,210 posts, read 8,347,320 times
I drove one from Cheyenne Wyoming to somewhere in Missouri. I was helping a friend move. It's an automatic and isn't much different from a p/u except of course, the size. That's only a problem when you pull in somewhere. You have to be aware of how you're going to get out once you pull in. Really, stopping at larger gas stations is all it takes. It's not really a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues