Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 08:17 PM

428 posts, read 810,259 times

Advertisements

Any stories, support, or heck even warnings, appreciated. I am kind of freaking out as the moving day (Oct 21) approaches. Planning to leave my (for sale) house vacant and with plumbing winterized here in northern MN and move to state of WA, and this I have never done before. Kind of worrying me leaving such an asset behind, vacant, although my Realtor says people leave vacant homes behind all the time that are on the real estate market.

Anybody else done this? Did it go okay? Or should I come to my senses and cancel my move and just keep living in my house until it sells?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 09:12 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
I did the same in Arizona, just made sure that I had a neighbor that I could trust with a spare set of keys check on the place a few times a week.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:11 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
It should be fine. Realtors are generally very observant. I'd call weekly to check -in on progress of selling though. And, as the above poster mentions, maybe leave keys, your cell # and authority with a trusted relative or neighbor just in case of emergency. enjoy your relocation!! Where is Wash??

Old 09-19-2014, 10:34 AM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
.......And now for the bad news......

Are you aware that insurance co. frown on a vacant home ? If they learn that it is vacant, or you should have a claim, they may either cancel you, or raise rates. There is a specific policy for covering a vacant home, at higher rates.

Also, have you heard the horror stories of "squatters" moving in to vacant homes, sometimes due to a fraudulent rental agent "renting" the home to them ? Police will do nothing, you have to go thru the eviction process.

Words to the wise........

Old 09-19-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
.......And now for the bad news......

Are you aware that insurance co. frown on a vacant home ? If they learn that it is vacant, or you should have a claim, they may either cancel you, or raise rates. There is a specific policy for covering a vacant home, at higher rates.

Also, have you heard the horror stories of "squatters" moving in to vacant homes, sometimes due to a fraudulent rental agent "renting" the home to them ? Police will do nothing, you have to go thru the eviction process.

Words to the wise........

Just learned that, sigh. I have decided NOT to leave my house vacant. Better to have a property manager manage it as a rental until it sells, at least it will be occupied, heat will be one, avoid crackhead squatters or worse.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:33 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
I have decided NOT to leave my house vacant.
I think this is a wise choice in this day and age. I hope it sells quickly!

Old 09-21-2014, 10:28 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
be sure to advise your insurance agent. Vacant house coverage is generally the same or lower than regular HO insurance because material possessions are not covered. Likely you will want to cancel the HO and get vacant house coverage. Also discuss extending your liability if needed. This shouldn't cost more, just modify your coverage to reflect the status of the house and ensure you are covered for all risks.

I have not had bad experience leaving homes vacant. I always have motion lighting for the exterior and some timed lights inside. Plus neighbor or realtor with a key.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I think this is a wise choice in this day and age. I hope it sells quickly!
I am bleeding net worth as I keep dropping my asking price, sigh.
Just listened to an NPR podcast this morning on the tough housing market, how tight lending is by banks; so maybe a good thing that I just decided to offer seller financing Contract for Deed, probably what it could take to get my house sold. still, so nervous leaving it in MN while I will be in WA, even though I will have a property manager (luckily he lives only six blocks from my house and says he also manages another house on my block; just that we get such brutal snowy bitter cold (-30F or worse) winters, but I figure once renters are in they likely will not move during the bitter cold so will keep the heat going to help prevent damage to my house from cold. Might have to remember to hire a service to pull the snow off my roof partway into winter.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:18 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
I am bleeding net worth as I keep dropping my asking price, sigh.
I feel your pain. You just have to stay focused on the reason for your move. If you moved for a better economy, you will make up that loss eventually, even if you lose some net worth in the short term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues