Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:43 PM

7 posts, read 29,290 times

Advertisements

I am a college student with no car looking to relocate to a city where I can walk everywhere I need to go and is also dog-friendly because I have to miniature dashchunds. I'm looking for a city that has alot going on because I definitely like to get out and live life and by that i don't mean bar hoping. I dont mind it but I'm looking for more than that. Live music is always good, good food, good people. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 05:18 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times
As much as I hate Philadelphia for it's dirt, crime, violence, drugs...it has all of that in a part of the downtown, even has a dog park downtown, I just don't know where. If interested, post in the Philadelphia forum. You would just have to live in a nice part because there are some shady parts. For example, Temple University is a great school, I went there but I wouldn't live in the vicinity of it because it is AWFUL (I got a job in a school in that vicinity and seen MANY things)....but the public transportation in Philly is abundant.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:30 AM

7 posts, read 29,290 times
Im really hesitate to live anywhere where there is dirt, crime, violence and drugs!! I'm more of a peace loving clean type of person.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:32 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,292 times
Thumbs up Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordofhermouth View Post
I am a college student with no car looking to relocate to a city where I can walk everywhere I need to go and is also dog-friendly because I have to miniature dashchunds. I'm looking for a city that has alot going on because I definitely like to get out and live life and by that i don't mean bar hoping. I dont mind it but I'm looking for more than that. Live music is always good, good food, good people. Any suggestions?
Other than NYC I suggest Boston and Cambridge as they have mass public transportation!. Plenty of dogs there as well.

There is also the Hatch Shell where they have many outdoor concerts.

Boston has everything you will ever want or need.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:50 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
Pittsburgh perhaps????

Old 12-28-2007, 11:02 PM

19 posts, read 112,475 times
Cambridge...Harvard Square area...INCREDIBLE energy there. Stay away from Central Square. Somerville a very nice city as well...VERY close to Harvard.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:17 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Central Square in Boston isn't bad. I can't think of why a person would stay away from it. I walked alone from Union Square to Central Square and back from my summer sublet and internship and I never once felt unsafe- and that's coming from a girl from an upper-middle class suburb!

Anywhere around Boston is great. I love Jamaica Plain though many people still consider it "unsafe". Only one stretch of the city near Mission Hill is somewhat sketchy at night, but as a 19 year old female who had a boyfriend there for awhile, it wasn't all that bad and he never had any problems in the 5 years he has lived there. JP is cheaper and has great access to public transportation. Harvard Square is really expensive, especially on a student or just out of college budget, though it's nice. Allston is where many students live but it's more of a transient area with lots of bars and rowdy BU students.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:50 AM

441 posts, read 2,108,411 times
All I can say is .... Washington, DC! A great city that is dog friendly with so many museums, parks, monuments, bike trails, etc., it would take a lifetime to see it all. There are so many great educational opportunities in the area too, like Georgetown, American University, Catholic University, University of VA at Arlington, and the list goes on. So many places are a quick Metro ride away like the National Zoo and Mount Vernon. Since you like music, you would enjoy the Kennedy Center's Millenium Stage with free performances every day. DC is worth a look.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:06 AM

19 posts, read 112,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Central Square in Boston isn't bad. I can't think of why a person would stay away from it. I walked alone from Union Square to Central Square and back from my summer sublet and internship and I never once felt unsafe- and that's coming from a girl from an upper-middle class suburb!

Anywhere around Boston is great. I love Jamaica Plain though many people still consider it "unsafe". Only one stretch of the city near Mission Hill is somewhat sketchy at night, but as a 19 year old female who had a boyfriend there for awhile, it wasn't all that bad and he never had any problems in the 5 years he has lived there. JP is cheaper and has great access to public transportation. Harvard Square is really expensive, especially on a student or just out of college budget, though it's nice. Allston is where many students live but it's more of a transient area with lots of bars and rowdy BU students.
There is NO Central Square in Boston, it is located in Cambridge! Mostly black and hispanic.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:24 PM

240 posts, read 470,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
Other than NYC I suggest Boston and Cambridge as they have mass public transportation!. Plenty of dogs there as well.

There is also the Hatch Shell where they have many outdoor concerts.

Boston has everything you will ever want or need.
Trust him, he knows what he saying. I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues