U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:06 PM

4 posts, read 4,362 times

Advertisements

Hey, there.

Basically, I'm 18 years old, will be graduating highschool in December and have never had a job. I wasn't allowed to get one before I was 18 (my parents are very religious and strict), or get my license or anything that is anywhere near being independent.

I started applying at places after my birthday, but then my dad lost his job. He's worked from home for several years, but now has to get any job he can, which means our only vehicle won't be at the house. I have no other family or even friends that could drive me to and from a job. I live in a very small town in the country with literally no public transportation. I also don't live within walking distance of anything but houses and fields. And I honestly don't know what to do. I have twenty dollars to my name, so I can't just pack up and move. I have no friends or family that could take me in while I get on my feet. I can't even enlist in the military, due to my hearing loss. Because of my parent's unconventional schooling and belief that women shouldn't go to college, I have no way of getting into a university.

Any suggestions on how to move out? Or even to get a job? I've looked into websites like coolworks, where they have jobs that offer meals and employee housing, but I'd need money to get there and to live off of until the paychecks start coming in. I don't think $20 is enough, haha. And most them require at least 6 months of work experience, which I don't have.

I'm at a loss. I need out of this house, out of this town, out of this state. I'd be willing to stay here long enough to get the money together, of course, but I just don't see what to do. I know just leaving and trying to make it on my own would end disastrously, but I don't see any other option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 10:25 PM

5,626 posts, read 5,010,436 times
Can you volunteer and then branch out from there? Babysit? Clean? Can you hire someone to drive you? (Amish do that).

Moving takes more than $20 sadly.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:50 PM

758 posts, read 684,423 times
So, are your parents absolutely forbidding you to attend college at all? Are there any community colleges or universities around you? You sound very smart and articulate and if you're graduating early in December then that bodes well for you. I also think your best bet is to volunteer somewhere, such as an animal shelter or hospital and go from there. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2014, 10:51 PM

A family friend occasionally needs a babysitter, but that's all I can think of. I always tell my mom to see if any of her friends need a baby/house/pet sitter, or anything of the like, and it's never happened. I also don't know of anyone I could hire to drive me, haha.

Thanks for the response!

Old 09-23-2014, 10:53 PM

They aren't forbidding me; I could go to community college, but they wouldn't help pay for anything, and I don't have the money. There isn't any animal shelter in my town, but the hospital takes volunteers. I suppose I could look into it, but I wouldn't have reliable transportation.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:55 PM

If you're waiting on your mom to get leads for you then you're going to be waiting a looonnnggg time- as in, probably never, because it sounds as if your parents would like to keep you under their thumb for as long as possible and then probably just marry you off.

How about creating your own business of babysitting/pet sitting/house sitting? Figure out what days would work best for you, make a flier up and go and put them in every mailbox and post them on every business that allows you to do it.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:57 PM

You can get grants and loans to pay for school and you would most likely qualify for several good ones if your household doesn't have a steady income right now. Have you talked to a guidance counselor at your school?

Old 09-24-2014, 07:12 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,144,125 times
Your hearing loss might let you get vocational rehabilitation from the federal government. They might pay for your schooling, or pay for you to move somewhere where you can get work. Look up VR or Vocational Rehabilitation, which is a federal agency.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:41 PM

5,040 posts, read 5,934,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Your hearing loss might let you get vocational rehabilitation from the federal government. They might pay for your schooling, or pay for you to move somewhere where you can get work. Look up VR or Vocational Rehabilitation, which is a federal agency.
This ^^^^^^

Make an appointment with your high school guidance counselor. Bring up the vocational rehabilitation. Also look into what college scholarships that you might qualify for. Tell him/her what you posted here. He or she may also know about some local resources for which you qualify.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:52 PM

Thanks for all the responses!

I'm actually homeschooled, and have been my entire life (my parents are very against public schools). But I'll look into the VR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or