U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 12:36 PM

61 posts, read 53,356 times

Advertisements

Hello all, we are moving to Portland, OR from Burlington VT Nov. 1, and were wondering what peoples thoughts were on either:

option 1:
driving uhaul and towing CR-V, with costs as: gas, hotels, food, time to drive. seems to be the cheaper but more time consuming option

option 2:shipping car with carrier (~1700), shipping belongings via Amtrak ($70 for first 100lbs, we have studio apartment or less), and we would fly. Costs would be plane tickets, shipping for car and belongings, effort to pick up car and belongings in new city. Actually may be less money than Uhaul and travel costs.

Bonus- we have a cat that I am guessing would prefer the plane ride, on our laps.

btw, our route would take us through
Burlington VT
Buffalo NY
Colombus OH
Springfield IL
Lincoln NE
Cheyenne WY
Salt Lake City UT
Boise ID
Portland OR

this is about 6 hours of driving a day, for a total of 48 hours over 8 days.
there would be two of us driving.

Any words of advice would be thankful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 07:19 PM

738 posts, read 810,583 times
I was just having this conversation with a friend the other day since her daughter made the move from Wisconsin to San Francisco last year with the help of my friend (her mother). My friend enjoyed it for about 2 hours and then it was all downhill...highway detours, dirty restrooms, truck problems. I can't really say I blame her since they pushed for almost 12 hours per day to meet a ridiculous deadline. Ughh!

6 hours of driving a day can be quite taxing although certainly not impossible. Depending on how young you are, pushing the time limit can be quite exhilarating and driving is a great way to see the country. But if you're older, restroom stops are more frequent and because blood flow can be restricted from sitting so long, it is always recommended that a 15 minute stop be made every 2 hours of driving which can derail your schedule. The other issue is stopping for meals and of course, sleeping...which can present its own problems IMO.

It would seem to me that sending your belongings on ahead and spending some time visiting with friends and family may be an excellent way to say your good-byes now that the hard work is finished. And really...does spending 6 hours a day trapped in a car for 8 days sound like "fun" when you're really anxious just to get to your new home? If I had a cat and this were my decision, I know which I would choose and I'm sure my cat would thank me .

RVcook

Old 09-26-2014, 07:22 PM

6,322 posts, read 4,739,561 times
Let your cat decide and the answer will be clear.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:11 PM

5,200 posts, read 8,335,028 times
Why are you dropping down to Columbus and Springfield ? Adds 150 miles vs. staying with I-80 from Cleveland.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...mra=ls&t=m&z=5

Are your possessions too much for a trailer behind the CR-V ??

Are you aware of the size, weight and packing requirements of Amtrak ?

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241267371736

Old 09-26-2014, 09:09 PM

61 posts, read 53,356 times
Wow, thank you for all the good words everyone.

It seems flying is winning. Apperently a CRV cannot have a trailer. Already looked into it.

We would be taking that route to avoid Chicago. Good/bad idea?

However, since flying might win anyway, whats the difference.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:31 PM

3,237 posts, read 4,553,875 times
I-80 does not go through Chicago, you're south of the city by about 20 miles or so. It's a major cross country route, possibly the major cross country route. After you get west of Joliet, traffic is pretty light on I-80. You'll get through Iowa and Nebraska pretty quick as both states are flat and you make great time.

What year CR-V do you have? Who said that it cannot have a trailer? I've seen CR-V's tow trailers before.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:30 AM

13,842 posts, read 25,237,391 times
I would drive. With 2 drivers, you should be able to make the trip much faster. Do 10 hours a day. I would pack the CRV and sell/donate everything else. Why? It's not going to fit in your new place anyway and it's seldom worth moving large items because some will be damaged and the cost to replace used furniture with used furniture is cheaper than moving it! Check out craigslist in Portland.

In 2008, I packed up my VW Beetle with my stuff and 2 German Shorthaired Pointers and drove from Minnesota to Nevada in 2 days. Spent the night in Grand Junction CO. Stopped for dog parks and potty breaks. I was alone with the dogs and did just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or