U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 10:32 PM

23 posts, read 98,774 times

Advertisements

Did you feel like you fit in in the other places that you've been to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 10:35 PM

MJ7, sorry I just saw your reply. The job was bad because the manager was awful and I was away from home travelling most of the time when I was told I'd only travel occasionally. There was a lot of dishonesty and the whole thing wasn't what I signed up for.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:39 PM

Nightlysparrow, LOL! I think I'm in a combination of the bargaining and depression phases.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:20 AM

3,376 posts, read 4,798,709 times
With me, I'm getting ready to do the same thing as well.
Sticking with the same company I've been with for the last two years, but viewing Phoenix like a hawk.
Miss the desert landscape, miss more places being open past 9PM that aren't Wal-Mart.

I really wanted to love New Mexico and think there will always be a place for it in my heart.
Albuquerque and pretty much any place near the mountain ranges are the best.

But the ups and downs at the current terminal I'm at, combined with the fact that this particular area I'm in seems to have more in common with Texas and Oklahoma than what I think of as New Mexico is just too much of a downer for me.

Held out for a little over two years and now it's time to fly again.

But, I'll probably be a little more smarter about it when/if I decide to make a stand here again.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:47 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
948 posts, read 891,026 times
I think it would help if you can take some alone time and try to figure out why you want to go back to Houston. I had to move to OKC a few years ago and absolutely loathe it here. When I go on vacation there are times I kind of want to be back, but I've identified the reason why: my dog and my possessions. Most of my family is here, my job is here... but I couldn't care less. I've narrowed down the only reasons I want to come back. On the other hand, if I could move back home I could give you a massive list of reasons why, mainly emotional and psychological. If you ask me why I dislike OKC I could give you a list with more entries than the one of why I would want to move back home. The point of this is to help you identify why you feel the way you do. Do you just feel deceived and rejected because of that job experience and you've applied that to Denver? Is there something about the local culture and people that rubs you the wrong way? Do you just feel more comfortable in Houston? Did you move to Denver for the right reasons? Does every little thing about the city agitate you? I think right now you need to look inside yourself to figure out what your source of discontent is.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:11 AM

3,942 posts, read 3,238,423 times
I live in Denver as well. Been here 2 years. I grew up in Houston, but moved away in 2001 at the age of 30. Since then, I have lived in 4 other places (5 years back in Texas, the rest of the time elsewhere).

I agree with PP's that the issue is neither Houston nor Denver. The issue is that you are not currently happy. As you point out, Denver is a great city. For that matter, Houston is a great city. Both are experiencing a fantastic economy right now. Houston is bigger, with more cultural and educational offerings. But, I really prefer Denver. Houston is just flat out ugly as far as I am concerned (but then again, so is a lot of Denver). I agree with your friend that said go back and visit and see if that "cures" you of being away. Having said that, I will always consider Houston home and have a love for it, even with its deficiencies, because all cities have them.

Some people just have to stay in one place and cannot move around. I can. It sounds as though you may not be in that category, and that's Ok.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:15 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,579,961 times
I think you need to stay for a full year before even considering a move. You have barley gotten unpacked and havent even seen all the seasons yet. Get out, get involved and explore the city and state. Make the most of your time there not only to ensure that you really know you want to move, but also to be able to look back and know you really did a lot when you lived in Denver that year back in '14.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:33 PM

13,842 posts, read 25,219,256 times
I also think the real issue is depression and plain old homesickness, not location. Going back to Houston may eliminate some of the symptoms but it won't solve the problem. Happiness is never a location. It's quite possible to happy in a Hellhole and miserable on Easy Street.

After living all over the world, including Houston, I can say for sure every single place has redeeming qualities. It's a state of mind. If you choose to see only the bad, then you are missing out on some good times. We tend to have tunnel vision and see what we want to see. Whatever reinforces our point of view.

I always thought of moving as an adventure. A chance to see new things and meet new people. Start over again and be a better me. Closest thing to a do-over we ever get in life. I think I would be a very dull person if I had never left my own back yard.

Go out! Do things! Meet people! Get a new job!

Old 10-12-2014, 01:50 PM

Beststrider, looks like we're in such similar situations. I also wanted to love Denver and I do, I just think of it as a place to visit and not live in.

dvxhd. I do feel like I just don't fit in here and felt a lot more comfortable in Houston. I've had some alone time the past month or so since my husband is travelling for his work, which is another reason for me not liking it here, he's here for 5 days then gone for a 7-10 days and once I will start working with him we'll be travelling together and hiring dog sitters to take care of our dogs. If we were still in TX, we would only be travelling about once a year. I do feel deceived by the job, I also feel like it was the main incentive to come here and now that's gone, it's hard to fine other reasons that are worth it.

Texas AG 93, the happiness part... I was happy in Houston and my life was normal, I just mostly hated the humid weather because it gave me migraines every now and then. Here I just seem to be flat out miserable, I try to go out and do things but all I feel is sadness that I miss home. It seems like my unhappiness was brought on by homesickness.

Yakscsd, we will definitely give it at least a year (Probably more). I will also try and do things to at least get to know the city better.

Yellowsnow, I do agree with you that it's homesickness, though I'm still not choosing to see the bad in Denver. I still think it's awesome especially how dry it is and all the scenery, I just miss home and I never felt like this in Houston. Maybe in time though this feeling will wear off. I still love seeing new places and meeting new people. Just a few months ago I was in California and I loved it, but I knew for a fact I would not want to move there now that I know how I feel about moving.

Thanks all.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:12 PM

13,227 posts, read 24,316,643 times
For me, Denver is absolutely awesome, on paper. But I just can't put my finger on it. I can't even find anything wrong with Denver, and it's been really good to me. It's basically perfect. I just don't feel any emotional connection to it.

I am homesick for my native CA fairly often, but I know if I were to go back, I'd really regret it, because I wanted out of there so bad to begin with. I feel like I should trust my past feelings, even though I do indeed have an emotional connection to CA that I don't have with Denver.

I think contentment with a place comes from what you/your soul sees in it. Sometimes you have everything in common, and it doesn't work out, and vice versa.

Do what feels good, do what makes your heart feel warm. You won't regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or