Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move to a neighborhood that banned Dogs?
YES! It would be so peaceful and quiet 20 24.69%
NO! It would stop me from bringing my own dog 56 69.14%
I would not care one way or another 5 6.17%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:16 AM

9 posts, read 30,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I wouldn't live in a community like that.

BUT, you dog owners have no idea how obnoxious dogs can get.

Case in point? My wife and I were enjoying a nice cup of joe on our deck this morning. It was a beautiful morning, 6:30 a.m. The kids were not up yet. So we read the paper, sip coffee, and map out our day.

Then one neighbor lets out her three dogs. WOOF WOOF WOOF HYIP YIP BARK HOWL......

Then another neighbor lets out her two dogs. BOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW. WOOF WOOF WOOF.

Then a dog several doors up chimes in. Arf arf arf WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

So, at a time when most of the civilized world is just waking up, we're all collectively greeted with:

WOOF WOOF WOOF HYIP YIP BARK HOWL. BOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW. WOOF WOOF WOOF. Arf arf arf WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

All because the dog owners are too freaking rude to keep their mangy hounds penned up until at least 7 a.m. And, if you dare mention it to them, however tactfully, you get a sullen, "Well, that's just what dogs do!!!!" Because the only thing more obnoxious than a barking dog at 6:00 a.m. is a militant dog owner.

So, yeah, that's why neighborhoods like the one you mention exist.
First off, that was hilarious! And dude, I know whereof you speak. We need to get together and build our own neighborhood!

We lived in a neighborhood where we were surrounded by yakking dogs. The neighbors to the left, whom we "affectionately" called 'The Bumpus Family' (A Christmas Story) had two huge dogs that slept directly beneath our bedroom window and woke us up at least twice a night between 2-5am for 3 years. Speaking to them was futile. I have also heard the "Well, that's just what dogs do!!!!" line multiple times.

And the neighbors behind us had a dog that yapped all day long at people, other dogs, leaves, grass, imaginary flying cats, etc. Again the response from the owners was the same as before. I even had one redneck scream at me and say: "If you don't want to hear dogs barking you should move out to the country". It seemed to me that maybe that's where they should be!?!?!?

At what point do the rights of humans to live in peace and quiet usurp the dog's right to disrupt and annoy??? Much less crap in our yards.

Dog Owners ... enjoy your dogs. But beyond that ... show respect to your fellow human beings who may not want to hear the barking and howling.

Golden Rule applies here.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:05 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
I'm a total animal person but those yapping dogs can be really annoying. I've had numerous problems with neighbors in past who's dogs barked ALL NIGHT. Some people who can't be responsible with their pets shouldn't own them. I plan on getting a dog but I will be a responsible owner because I know what its like to sit there and have to deal with someones yapping mutt.

Now if only they made child free neighborhoods....

Old 05-29-2008, 01:07 PM

Sprad-Can you find that info out for NC for me??? LOL

Old 05-29-2008, 01:14 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Now if only they made child free neighborhoods....
They do. They are called active adult.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:29 PM

I believe those are for 55 and over only though?? Im 33

Old 05-29-2008, 02:54 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
It is illegal to discriminate based on familial status except in communities specifically designated as 55 and over (retirement communities). Familial status is one of the protected categories.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:46 PM

161 posts, read 384,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprad View Post
First off, that was hilarious! And dude, I know whereof you speak. We need to get together and build our own neighborhood!

We lived in a neighborhood where we were surrounded by yakking dogs. The neighbors to the left, whom we "affectionately" called 'The Bumpus Family' (A Christmas Story) had two huge dogs that slept directly beneath our bedroom window and woke us up at least twice a night between 2-5am for 3 years. Speaking to them was futile. I have also heard the "Well, that's just what dogs do!!!!" line multiple times.

And the neighbors behind us had a dog that yapped all day long at people, other dogs, leaves, grass, imaginary flying cats, etc. Again the response from the owners was the same as before. I even had one redneck scream at me and say: "If you don't want to hear dogs barking you should move out to the country". It seemed to me that maybe that's where they should be!?!?!?

At what point do the rights of humans to live in peace and quiet usurp the dog's right to disrupt and annoy??? Much less crap in our yards.

Dog Owners ... enjoy your dogs. But beyond that ... show respect to your fellow human beings who may not want to hear the barking and howling.

Golden Rule applies here.

Great story and I feel your pain! I have always had dogs but they rarely barked and if they did they were put in the house immediately. I love dogs but CAN'T stand yapping dogs. I do agree that dog owners need to understand that not everyone likes dogs and we need to be respectful to our fellow neighbors. My dog now is a big GSD puppy who never barks even while he's outside and hears the dogs barking and barking, he just ignores it! WONDERFUL! However he will bark if someone comes onto my property which to me is perfect!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:27 PM

85 posts, read 262,738 times
I understand people being against annoying dogs. We have a pekingese who is indoors most of the time, he only goes out (back fenced yard) when we are at home and if he starts to bark I let him in so he won't disturb the neighbors. Unfortunately some people don't care if their dog is barking. Being empty nesters this little dog gives us a lot of joy and I wouldn't want to live where no dogs are allowed.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:11 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,509 times
I have a dog and I live with someone who doesn't like dogs. That's how I know my husband really loves me. If given the chance, he would gleefully move into such a neighborhood ... today. And, as much as I like dogs, I could live someplace where I knew I'd never come across dog poo on the sidewalk, in the park, or in my yard. But, that will have to wait until I'm dogless.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,647 times
I just found this site and missed the poll. Would have voted "YES! It would be so peaceful and quiet". After reading comments from sprad, cpg35223 and others, they got me thinking about the motivations of irresponsible/inconsiderate dog owners. I've had trouble understanding them. I'm beginning to think that some of it is due to a general unhappiness with their fellow man. Having your barking dog wake the neighbors and then telling them off when they naturally complain is also a way to show a little control over others. It's a way to feel good about yourself; "hey I'm somebody and I just told my neighbor to go to heck".

I don't live in a dog free neighborhood. Fortunately, most of the time we can sit out in our yard and hear the birds, etc in peace. But the house next door is for sale! Would be nice to find a neighborhood where you don't have to worry about that kind of thing. I don't think Bloomington, IN has such a place. ANYONE KNOW HOW TO LOBBY LOCAL GOVERNMENT FOR SUCH A PLACE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues