Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 11:06 AM

401 posts, read 528,043 times

Advertisements

I don't know what other forum to post this, so.....

Does anyone have experience with working around outrageous PS rent increases? You know how the rates listed for units on their website are for "new customers" only? Well I am tired of having my rent jacked-up every year and this year I just am not going to stay and keep paying so much more than what a "new customer" pays. I was told that I had to move out for at least 7 days to be able to move back in and get those website rates. But I was wondering if anyone has experience with doing that - and/or moving to a different PS location in the same area. In other words, out of one location and right into another down the street in the same town. I am pretty pissed off since I have been a model tenant and have paid every single month on or before the first of the month but every year my rent just keeps going up.

You'd think they would want to keep the good tenants who pay and aren't any trouble - or even give a discount to long-time customers (I have been there for several years)....

Anyone know what the details of the system is? Tell me your experience or give me some advice.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 11:37 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
You can;

- Get a friend/relative to rent a unit and just move everything into that space in the same rental place.

- Just move to another storage facility.

The best thing is to not even have one, I am always surprised by the junk people love to keep with some notion of "going to use", when they actually do not touch it year after year; or the grand fear they are not allowed to have some storage items in their house for some reason because "that is not what houses are for".

The rents go up because the low rent is to get someone in, and they are hedging that you will be too lazy to move your stuff if the rent goes up and you rather just pay.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:28 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times
Tell them you're moving to ExtraSpace.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Teaser or "new customer" rates apply to everything it seems---TV service, haircuts, many online shopping sites. They're betting on people's inertia, and they usually bet right.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:11 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Can you get rid of the stuff? Or is this a business storage space?

I'd approach them with a rent decrease and just see what happens. If they've got empty rentals, they may prefer to keep you in your unit at the new lower price. I'd try that first.

Then, if they say no, and you can't just erase the stuff from your life, you'll have to look at the cost to move it vs. what you'd save for the first year at the next place.

Another last thought: What if you offered a longer-term contract for a lower rate? Say a 3 year contract, with the new customer rate? If the old one won't go for that, you might try approaching a new place with that idea. That is, if you know you'll be needing that space locally, long term.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:36 PM

367 posts, read 696,996 times
Public Storage is one of the highest storage units around. Extra Space raises rent like every 6 months. Go for the less known storage companies they will be a lot cheaper.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:49 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
Do you need the stuff? That is the number one question. Then look at the mom and pop storage facilities. Remember that with PS, etc you are paying for national advertising, etc.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:28 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You can;

- Get a friend/relative to rent a unit and just move everything into that space in the same rental place.

- Just move to another storage facility.

The best thing is to not even have one, I am always surprised by the junk people love to keep with some notion of "going to use", when they actually do not touch it year after year; or the grand fear they are not allowed to have some storage items in their house for some reason because "that is not what houses are for".

The rents go up because the low rent is to get someone in, and they are hedging that you will be too lazy to move your stuff if the rent goes up and you rather just pay.
If someone spends $150/month to have extra stuff in storage, it's "a big waste", but if the same person spends $500/month extra in rent on their residence in order to keep the EXACT SAME STUFF, it is "a higher standard of living"?

Seems like a double standard - if you don't like storage units, why don't you downsize on your own housing? I'm sure at least some of the square footage there is being used just like a storage unit...only more expensive!

Old 10-12-2014, 12:24 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If someone spends $150/month to have extra stuff in storage, it's "a big waste", but if the same person spends $500/month extra in rent on their residence in order to keep the EXACT SAME STUFF, it is "a higher standard of living"?

Seems like a double standard - if you don't like storage units, why don't you downsize on your own housing? I'm sure at least some of the square footage there is being used just like a storage unit...only more expensive!
I agree. The only thing is having a larger apartment might be better in terms of security of your belongings. But it may cost $900 for a 1 bedroom with $100 for storage and $1200 or more for a 2 bedroom. You come out ahead using storage.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post

Was this post specifically addressed to me?

I ask because I do not have extra stuff, a large home, nor have any issues with storage space/too much stuff in my home. My home is only expensive because of the location (Miami with an ocean view condo), not the size. If size was important to me, there are plenty of options that are larger yet cost less.

I mentioned about getting rid of stuff because from my experience with people, including immediate relatives;

- They think they need all of this stuff, but never touch it year after year, I know people who have not touched things in their storage going on ten years, it baffles me why they still pay month after month for it.

- They have a few items, but have this view that things should not be stored in the house. For example, I know someone who throws the Christmas decorations in storage (among other things), even though they have a fairly large mobile home with a lot of not used space. They (well the husband) has this absolute belief that things not being used should not be in the home.

Now, if someone can afford it, then fine, but it baffles me when someone cannot afford it, or at least it constrains the monthly budget, but yet seem to do all that is possible to keep a storage unit full of junk they never touch. I think some people have a form of hording and are afraid to get rid of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues