U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 07:28 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,153,510 times

Advertisements

So...I had 3 national moving estimates done in my home and decided to go with one, and signed "binding estimate" which had the phrase "total Price Guarantee" next to the price. I asked what would happen if the truck weighed more than the amount he estimated, and he said oh, "thats on us...you won't pay more than this amount.

They charged my credit card for that amount, and I though it was all taken care of. The movers came last Saturday and did a good job of carefully packing up, except for some damage to a wall, which the mover rep committed to fixing.

But last night, I got an email from the rep saying that the actual weight of the truck came out higher than the binding estimate, and now we owe another $980!! Part of this is for an increase in the insurance coverage, based on the increased weight.

My furniture is scheduled to be delivered between tomorrow and Saturday, and now I'm worried?? Anyone have some enlightenment for me? Was that binding estimate really binding or did I misunderstand something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 08:51 AM

415 posts, read 2,155,330 times
Binding estimates should be totally binding, I work for Mayflower / United Van lines, I know my office will eat any additional if the weight exceeds our estimate. ( That is providing the customer has not added items )

as for the valuation difference, that should be fairly small amount, if they have to increase it, no where near a 980.00 charge, maybe in the 100 to 150 range

Old 10-22-2014, 08:57 AM

5,078 posts, read 5,344,717 times
Carefully reread the small print on your estimate to be sure there are no "exceptions" to the binding estimate. Then call the representative and tell him what you were told. See what he has to say in response to that.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:44 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,153,510 times
Well, here's what happened....the sales guy called me back and told me (this was weird) that "we aren't demanding that you pay more money, but we wanted to let you know that the shipment weighed out a lot more than we thought it was going to, and we were hoping you'd be willing to pay for the difference". He then went on to say that if he misses the estimate by more than 10%, he has to make up the difference out of pocket. (He missed it by 17%). Yes, we had a huge amount of stuff, but he should have been able to estimate more accurately. He walked through the house and looked in all the closet and cabinets, and accounted for everything, as far as I know. No idea why there was such a discrepancy, but when the movers finally left at 9:00 PM after 12 hours, they had filled about 3/4 of that huge truck.

My husband and I discussed it and decided that since the movers had done such a good job of wrapping everything and being so careful and so nice, we were agreeable to a compromise. We calculated the amount which would take it under the 10% so the sales guy didn't have to pay out of pocket, and agreed to pay that amount, which was $400, AFTER the furniture is delivered.

Maybe we were naive, and maybe we got fleeced, but we felt like it was the right thing to do, and it took all the stress and concern off our minds to get it settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or