U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 11:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,354 times

Advertisements

I am moving and signing a 10-month lease hundreds of miles away. This will be a move from a furnished apartment and I don't have many moveables besides what will fit in an albeit cramped sedan. This may seem like a trite question, but since I"m moving, alone, to a city where I won't know anyone, and haven't really moved without considerable help before, how am I going to get a bed/futon into my apartment? If I opt for a futon, since this isn't guaranteed to be a long-time commitment, are there any tips for this? Do, like, Wal-Mart/Target deliver furniture? I'm also on a budget and would prefer not to drop a considerable chunk of change as soon as I get there. Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 07:14 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,539,932 times
I have done similar moves. Target/Walmart does not deliver though if you buy it online it will be shipped to your home but you would have to assemble it. At Walmart they will assemble it for you but you have to pick it up yourself.
I could not sleep on a futon but you may be able to. Mattress sets can be expensive but sometimes Macys or mattress stores have some good deals. I have bought a set from Big Lots that was inexpensive and for a fee they will deliver.
In terms of help if you don't need a full moving company I have found college aged kids to help me on craigslist but you have to be careful as there seems to be more issues with CL and crime.
You know prior to getting my mattress set I once slept on an air mattress. Long term I also would not like it such as the futon but I think some air mattress sets are better then others.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:13 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,495,809 times
If it doesn't fit in your car, you could try to rent a bigger car for an hour or two. Still, a good mattress is the most important thing you need, and I'd recommend getting something that's not a piece of crap. I think signing a 10 month lease is a bigger financial commitment than buying a decent mattress.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:10 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,995,300 times
If you order on-line they will ship it to your house. Also there are furniture stores that will deliver if you want a little higher quality. Big Lots, as mentioned above, is pretty good quality and cheap too. Some Big Lots deliver, some do not. Also you can rent a truck and use it to deliver to yourself. Home Depot rents trucks for a few hours at a time.

Long term, get a bed. A real mattress is much better than a futon's. A day bed would even be better. Or the Ikea beds.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:49 PM

595 posts, read 669,652 times
If you want an option for a cheap bed that still sleeps pretty well, here's something to look at.

Here is the bed frame I have. It is made of metal and very solid. The queen size is made of two halves that snap together. When moving the frame, you can unhook them and the two halves both fold, making them very easy to move around. Wal Mart sells the queen frame for $89 but I found one new on craigslist for $75.

http://www.walmart.com/product/idml/emc/15739163

Ikea has some decent mattresses for very reasonable prices. They come rolled up and are easy to move. You only need to give them 72 hours after you unroll them for the mattresses to decompress and flatten out.

This is still a pretty cheap option and will give a much better night's sleep than most futons.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:53 PM

36,834 posts, read 45,247,132 times
Almost every town has a mattress store that will deliver. Frames are available there too. If you are adamant about not having baggage to move next time, then have a mattress delivered and place it on the floor.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:09 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,016,154 times
My son had an internship and attempted to sleep on his futon, because he did not want to move his full size bed from his college apartment. The futon KILLED his back, and he ended up ultimately moving his mattress because he simply could not stand sleeping on the futon long term. A night or 2 might be OK, but definitely not long term.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:14 PM

5,629 posts, read 4,330,697 times
don't get a futon.
Ikea is a good solution.
Also order online. Places like overstock.com

Old 10-27-2014, 11:51 PM

24,632 posts, read 23,594,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
My son had an internship and attempted to sleep on his futon, because he did not want to move his full size bed from his college apartment. The futon KILLED his back, and he ended up ultimately moving his mattress because he simply could not stand sleeping on the futon long term. A night or 2 might be OK, but definitely not long term.
Futons are not user friendly. I'd rather sleep on an air mattress than one of those torture racks.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:55 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,868,215 times
How about a reasonably priced day bed instead of the futon?
I actually slept on a futon a few months ago and it didn't bother me but it was only because I had been up for 18 hours, had a 5 hour drive, rode a train for an hour, spent a few hours at a ball game and was completely exhausted.
I would have slept on shards of glass on a bed of nails at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues