U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 02:09 PM

5 posts, read 7,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
In the summer of 2006, at the age of 49, I drove a 16' truck from Portland, OR to New York City. I was alone, except for the eight (8!!!) cats in the cab of the truck with me.

It was a looooooooooong drive, and included a blown tire in the middle of the nowhere -- but it was do-able. That said, however, if I had the money, I'd much rather let someone else do the driving .....

And best of luck in Portland! It's a wonderful, beautiful city that I miss a lot -- I'm sure you'll love it .....

How did your eight cats handle the trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 05:23 PM

4,555 posts, read 7,024,744 times
I've driven cross country by myself 3 times...you just have to book a hotel/motel ahead of time and plan each leg of your trip according...to be in a certain city on a certain date, how many miles you realistically can travel in one day. And use common sense when you stop. I always stopped at McDonalds to eat and go to the restroom. They are generally filled with people w/families and not alot of weirdos hanging around. If you have longish hair, wear a winter like cap that will conceal your hair. I always started early morning and stopped for the night before dark, ate near the hotel and didn't go wandering around anywhere. Most of the journey is just travelling on interstates like anywhere else...the only isolated parts are thru Texas, NM and Arizona.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:46 PM

24,736 posts, read 23,704,984 times
"...almost none of them want to murder you and stuff you into a box..."

That's true, but it only takes one. Don't get me wrong, I've driven thousands of miles with children, pets, the elderly, disabled and never had a real problem, but, I have had a near miss and a couple of worrisome moments. My instincts have served well, but being a middle aged female, I'd just as soon pack some heat. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by chersull_99 View Post
I know this post is several years old, but I am VERY disappointed in some of what I'm seeing. We live in the US for pete's sake - you're not trying to drive to Nicaragua or something. Making the trip you proposed is NOT unsafe for women traveling alone. Just after my 40th birthday I drove cross country, from Arizona to NJ with only my 10 pound dog and my 8 year old daughter. It was an adventure and one we both remember fondly. Just take a few weeks and see this great country of ours. That way you can do it in short drives, so you won't get too tired on the road. Don't let people instill needless fear in you. If you live your life fearfully, you'll attract exactly what you expect. People tend to be very open to striking up conversations with solo travelers, and believe it or not, almost none of them want to murder you and stuff you into a box. It's fascinating talking to someone who is on the road alone...you'll be seen as gutsy and independent. Just use your head. If you feel concerned stay in public places and always in decent hotels and enjoy yourself. I hope it went well for you!

Old 06-03-2015, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 695 times
Default Where to move

I just retired after 31 years at my job. I am only 54. I am thinking about how I can start my life over again. I lost my home to foreclosure and my partner of 31 years left me for someone else. I am alone and have no family to move near, nor real friends to turn too. This is not what I had planned for this time in my life. I would like to get out of this hot Arizona climate, but don't know where I can afford to live on my small pension. I have begun searching the Internet. It's scary thinking about doing this all alone, but I know people do all of the time.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:51 PM

372 posts, read 407,176 times
Bless your heart--how wonderful that you've got a new adventure. Yes, the details can feel overwhelming.
Portland is amazing!!!

I've both flown, and driven with my kitty... and both were wonderful.

When we drove, I put her in the front seat with the litter box on the floor, and leashed her to the carrier... it was soft so I could peel back the cover and she could look outside as we drove. I loved the scenery, we stayed in pet-friendly places, and it was fun.

Get comparisons from moving companies... get rid of as much as you can... and see if you have the stamina and interest to drive.

Do something small every day--especially when you want to pull the covers over your head.
Actions will help calm and empower you.

Plan to be done 2 weeks early... because it always takes longer, and costs more than you realize.

If you want to drive, and your kitty is not car-steady, start with 5-10 minute trips, increasing the time to become acclimated. Talk gently and soothe... I always kept mine in the carrier up front so I could reach in and touch.

Get details from the vet for flying, you can put kitty under the seat at your feet.

Trust your instincts and realize your limitations... get help as much as possible. Home consignment stores are a good place to get rid of items.

Good luck!!

Old 06-04-2015, 01:21 AM

16,258 posts, read 10,262,399 times
sansea-the original post was 6 yrs ago.

AZlispfixer-

you've had the rug pulled from under you in so many ways. You might start here-http://www.city-data.com/forum/retirement/163806-men-women-retiring-alone-new-city-740.html

There's a lot of good info to, and on the retirement forum in general. Assuming you've got some place to stay, if only for a while, the 1st step is to decide where to go. Gather some info, look to your heart and go. You can land on your feet after all this.

The link didn't work for some reason. Click on the 'forum' circle on top of the page and scroll down until you see the Retirement Forum.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:44 AM

4,594 posts, read 3,190,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
sansea-the original post was 6 yrs ago.

AZlispfixer-

you've had the rug pulled from under you in so many ways. You might start here-http://www.city-data.com/forum/retirement/163806-men-women-retiring-alone-new-city-740.html

There's a lot of good info to, and on the retirement forum in general. Assuming you've got some place to stay, if only for a while, the 1st step is to decide where to go. Gather some info, look to your heart and go. You can land on your feet after all this.

The link didn't work for some reason. Click on the 'forum' circle on top of the page and scroll down until you see the Retirement Forum.
I'm moving end of August from central NY to Winston-Salem, NC. I haven't picked mover yet, I have had lots of phone calls and some emails from them, each one saying they are "the best." They all seem to have the same price, $1,884.00. One added on a protection plan that brings total close to $2,000.00. Expense will have to go on credit card which already has a high balance. I have a couple of questions for you since you wrote about them in your posting.

I have an 11 year old cat who has never worn a harness, the one time I tried putting one on she absolutely did NOT like it and quickly got herself out of it (Houdini). When she goes to the vet, she rides in carrier in back seat with the seat-belt on the carrier. She does OK for those short rides. Never did the box since it was a quick trip. Was wondering where to put it and think I'll do what you mentioned, the front passenger floor.

I'm trying to decide whether to move a couple of big items. I've posed this question in other forums and been advised to sell/give away before moving and then hit the 2nd hand stores. That is a wonderful idea except I am by myself and how would I get a large heavy item from the store to the apartment (2nd floor, no elevator)? Need a guy or two for that, I think.

Any ideas?

Old 06-04-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post
Bless your heart--how wonderful that you've got a new adventure. Yes, the details can feel overwhelming.
Portland is amazing!!!

I've both flown, and driven with my kitty... and both were wonderful.

When we drove, I put her in the front seat with the litter box on the floor, and leashed her to the carrier... it was soft so I could peel back the cover and she could look outside as we drove. I loved the scenery, we stayed in pet-friendly places, and it was fun.

Get comparisons from moving companies... get rid of as much as you can... and see if you have the stamina and interest to drive.

Do something small every day--especially when you want to pull the covers over your head.
Actions will help calm and empower you.

Plan to be done 2 weeks early... because it always takes longer, and costs more than you realize.

If you want to drive, and your kitty is not car-steady, start with 5-10 minute trips, increasing the time to become acclimated. Talk gently and soothe... I always kept mine in the carrier up front so I could reach in and touch.

Get details from the vet for flying, you can put kitty under the seat at your feet.

Trust your instincts and realize your limitations... get help as much as possible. Home consignment stores are a good place to get rid of items.

Good luck!!
I posted this on another person's post because I mixed up responses.... sorry. Maybe you will have answers I need. Thanks!

I'm moving end of August from central NY to Winston-Salem, NC. I haven't picked mover yet, I have had lots of phone calls and some emails from them, each one saying they are "the best." They all seem to have the same price, $1,884.00. One added on a protection plan that brings total close to $2,000.00. Expense will have to go on credit card which already has a high balance. I have a couple of questions for you since you wrote about them in your posting.

I have an 11 year old cat who has never worn a harness, the one time I tried putting one on she absolutely did NOT like it and quickly got herself out of it (Houdini). When she goes to the vet, she rides in carrier in back seat with the seat-belt on the carrier. She does OK for those short rides. Never did the box since it was a quick trip. Was wondering where to put it and think I'll do what you mentioned, the front passenger floor.

I'm trying to decide whether to move a couple of big items. I've posed this question in other forums and been advised to sell/give away before moving and then hit the 2nd hand stores. That is a wonderful idea except I am by myself and how would I get a large heavy item from the store to the apartment (2nd floor, no elevator)? Need a guy or two for that, I think.

Any ideas?

Old 06-04-2015, 09:19 AM

487 posts, read 559,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I posted this on another person's post because I mixed up responses.... sorry. Maybe you will have answers I need. Thanks!

Any ideas?
Many people recommend selling, but I'm in the same boat. I'm moving to a town where I won't know anyone and when I weighed the idea of selling my stuff versus trying to replace it all when I get there, I came out that it was a better idea to use those Pod type things. One of the reasons was exactly what you said - if I thrift stored it when I got there, I'd have no way to move it.

Now, if the expense of moving it versus replacing it is too much, there is an option. Buy all your stuff and arrange from the store the day you're going to move it, then rent a UHaul or something. They have a service called "Moving Help" where you can hire workers (reading reviews is very important here to make sure you get a good one) who can basically help you load and unload. Then, just arrange to meet them at the store, they can load up, you drive it back to your place, then unload. Remember to factor this into the expense of moving versus selling.

Using Moving Help is how i plan to load and unload my Moving Pods.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
Many people recommend selling, but I'm in the same boat. I'm moving to a town where I won't know anyone and when I weighed the idea of selling my stuff versus trying to replace it all when I get there, I came out that it was a better idea to use those Pod type things. One of the reasons was exactly what you said - if I thrift stored it when I got there, I'd have no way to move it.

Now, if the expense of moving it versus replacing it is too much, there is an option. Buy all your stuff and arrange from the store the day you're going to move it, then rent a UHaul or something. They have a service called "Moving Help" where you can hire workers (reading reviews is very important here to make sure you get a good one) who can basically help you load and unload. Then, just arrange to meet them at the store, they can load up, you drive it back to your place, then unload. Remember to factor this into the expense of moving versus selling.

Using Moving Help is how i plan to load and unload my Moving Pods.
Thank you for your input. I did a bit of wishful thinking when I first considered this move and thought I could "just buy" the things I didn't want to bring with me. Then I went online shopping to see what I liked and how much it cost. It was like getting a cold bucket of water thrown on me. Movers have quoted just under $2,000.00 for my move. To replace some things would cost me a whole lot more. And then, of course, there is the tipping issue. I don't mind the tipping, I think they work pretty hard and deserve it. But there is only so much cash to go around. My move and all the other things (apartment application, deposit, etc., cat deposit), will all go on Credit. Am already in credit debt. I don't live a "big" life. I am very happy with simple things. Have not had cable in long time and truthfully there is plenty of TV with my indoor antenna. Will change my phone situation. Have a land-line and a cell. Will just have the cell and if I discover I need the other, I'll cross that bridge when it comes. I will leave most of my dishware, glassware, some pots/pans as I am sure I can find what I need in 2nd hand store. Clothes, too, for that matter. I'm already thinking my food bill will hopefully get reduced because I know I overspend in the store (it's a social thing, I guess). Have stuff in cabinets I probably won't use. Waste.

So why am I moving? I've been to NC. I fell in love with its beauty. So many places to investigate, enjoy, etc. without major cost. I love the mountains. And I do enjoy the ocean as well. People who have lived there all of their lives may not agree with me, but I feel like I'm moving to a little slice of heaven (for me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues