Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:19 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
Personally I would suggest getting a moving van and flying if your budget allows. It just seems the safer option. A woman of any age traveling alone, across the country is not safe. Can you find someone to go with you if you have to drive? Since you have some time I would save up for air fare and get there alive!
Comments like these amuse me. When I was getting ready to drive across country through the Rockies in the middle of winter, I got lots of people saying, "What if it snows!" "You need chains for the tires!" and "It's cold on the east coast!" and "Take a southern route."

I ignored all of them and did what I wanted. There's hotels on every stretch of I-15 and I-70 and I knew I could easily sleep in my car, which I did on a few occasions. I loved my drive and hope to head out on another adventure soon.

greenie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 09:34 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
I have done this several times, with a 14' UHaul truck and dragging a car behind me! And over the Rockies too. I wanted to take the "scenic route", so just went slowly (hard for me to do) and with a cat, but all went well. I made sure to get in the better motels, well lit parking lots, took 3 long days. It is so important to do the planning and organizing. I also did my own packing, and found a couple of guys to load up the truck. Last haul was maybe 10 years ago, and felt plenty safe. Just be smart, don't stand out, wear a hat and sunglasses, don't dress to attract attention, act confident and like you know what you are doing. If not married, wear a wedding ring. Carry a cell phone, have AAA, all common sense things. I kept my eye on my truck/car at all times. Ate out of the grocery store, etc. The cab of the truck is very wide and plenty of room for a small pet. My cat was not very happy at first, but got used to the ride, as she was used to traveling anyway. If I had to, would do it again with no problem. Being organized and thinking ahead is key. It is an adventure and inspires self reliance and confidence the more you do it.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:10 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
I wouldn't do it without packing a pistol.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:16 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I wouldn't do it without packing a pistol.
And many of us would, because we're not paranoid.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:23 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I advocate a split ticket--driving across country and enjoying the adventure, and having the stuff come separately.

Nothing wrong with women driving alone as long as they are careful, and as several have attested here, it is rewarding, an adventure and quite a thrill to see the American landscape.

However, hauling a truck with all your possessions changes the adventure, and might add some stress to where to stay, and how long to drive each day. Cost is also a factor, shipping from the East Coast to the West Coast will probably be around USD3000.00. I priced it from NY to NM and none of the quotes came in under US2900.00 for a 10x15 space. Pods, a fairly good alternative also does not go everywhere, and unless you have the space on either end can be a hassle.

Good luck, Nancy, whatever decision you make. Portland is a great town.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:48 PM

Portland was my destination years ago as well. Spent seven years there, very beautiful, friendly, fun place. Just could not deal with all that rain! So made it back to Texas the same way I came all those years ago, in a UHaul truck!!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:40 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
And many of us would, because we're not paranoid.
Paranoia has nothing to do with it.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:57 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Paranoia has nothing to do with it.
Of course it does. There's no reason to carry a gun while traveling unless you plan on hanging out at night in a bad area, or you are doing something illegal. I'm 45 and I've been traveling long distances by myself since I was 16, and I have never ever had any sort of problem from anyone. I've been all over the US, Canada, and all the way down into Central Mexico without incident. Yes, I'm also female, pale, and blonde, so I do stand out some of the places I've been and STILL haven't had a stitch of trouble.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:02 AM

Times are changing, especially with all the illegal immigration, so is not a bad idea to have protection. I don't carry a weapon, but would certainly not be opposed to it!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:09 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I've never carried a gun, anywhere, but I have frequently carried a knife. In fact, until we had all the airport restrictions, I always had an army knife in my bag.

However, as a frequent traveler (see my name for confirmation ) I don't think more than caution is necessary. In the thousands of miles I've traveled, I believe I had only one single suspicious incident, and it was directed at fellow travelers, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Times are changing, especially with all the illegal immigration, so is not a bad idea to have protection. I don't carry a weapon, but would certainly not be opposed to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues