U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:17 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,521,294 times

Advertisements

I will retire in June and I am planning to move from Long Island all the way to Portland by myself. Just me and my cat Gracie. How difficult is this to manage all by oneself? I would have toi take care of everything . The vans, the packing and the eventual move . Would it be easier to drive across the whole country with my cat ? Would it be better to pack my car into a van and fly across the country ?

What pitfalls should I look for in moving companies ? I know that they an be unscrupulous. Should I allow themn to pack everything?

Any help from any one with this kind of experience would be greatly appreciated. It seems like such a daunting task.

Best, nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 07:42 PM

22 posts, read 84,521 times
Default I'll let you know

Nancy, I'm moving myself from NC to NE next week all by my lonesome. No cat though. The idea is scary though, isn't it? I had to plan this in 3 weeks, you have 6 months. Lucky! I'm using PODS and driving my car. I'll let you know how I did it and how it went once its over.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:12 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,916,102 times
Nancy, you might want this thread moved to Retirement. I believe several folks have shared similar experiences.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:55 PM

648 posts, read 2,683,748 times
nancy, it does seem like a daunting task. i guess you have to figure out what you can handle in terms of cost and what is stressful for you. a moving company could be very expensive but if that isn't an issue for you then maybe that would be the least stressful for you. then there is the ubf pods movers that i've read about on this forum. a cost saving way to move where you pack your stuff, they deliver it to your destination and you unpack it. and then there is the pack your rental truck, drive it to your destination and unpack it all yourself. again, i guess how much money you can spend and your own personal stress level are the big considerations in choosing a way to move across country. there is a lot of good information on this forum too so keep reading!!

Old 01-01-2008, 01:49 AM

538 posts, read 1,660,579 times
Personally I would suggest getting a moving van and flying if your budget allows. It just seems the safer option. A woman of any age traveling alone, across the country is not safe. Can you find someone to go with you if you have to drive?
Since you have some time I would save up for air fare and get there alive!

Old 01-01-2008, 06:27 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,549,156 times
Thumbs up Safe is better than sorry!

By all means have your belongings, car, etc shipped by ground and fly to your destination with your kitty....better safe than sorry!!!

I also agree with ontheroad that you will get more information if you have this post moved to the retirement forum. Good luck!

Old 01-01-2008, 07:04 AM

2,493 posts, read 3,281,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I will retire in June and I am planning to move from Long Island all the way to Portland by myself. Just me and my cat Gracie. How difficult is this to manage all by oneself? I would have toi take care of everything . The vans, the packing and the eventual move . Would it be easier to drive across the whole country with my cat ? Would it be better to pack my car into a van and fly across the country ?

What pitfalls should I look for in moving companies ? I know that they an be unscrupulous. Should I allow themn to pack everything?

Any help from any one with this kind of experience would be greatly appreciated. It seems like such a daunting task.

Best, nancy
Never think for a moment that you can't do it, because you can. Do your research, get organized, and make it happen. You're going to love Portland!

Greenie

Old 01-01-2008, 07:06 AM

2,493 posts, read 3,281,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
Personally I would suggest getting a moving van and flying if your budget allows. It just seems the safer option. A woman of any age traveling alone, across the country is not safe. Can you find someone to go with you if you have to drive?
I am a single woman. A few weeks ago, I drove across the entire country alone from Los Angeles to Boston and I went straight over the Rockies. I had my dog and cat in the car with me. I loved it!

Greenie

Old 01-01-2008, 07:34 AM

11,151 posts, read 14,151,505 times
In the summer of 2006, at the age of 49, I drove a 16' truck from Portland, OR to New York City. I was alone, except for the eight (8!!!) cats in the cab of the truck with me.

It was a looooooooooong drive, and included a blown tire in the middle of the nowhere -- but it was do-able. That said, however, if I had the money, I'd much rather let someone else do the driving .....

And best of luck in Portland! It's a wonderful, beautiful city that I miss a lot -- I'm sure you'll love it .....

Old 01-02-2008, 07:12 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,894,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
You're kidding me, right? Please don't perpetuate the myth that women can't travel safely by themselves, because that's just ridiculous! It's no different than being in your own city. Would you have us all stay home out of fear that the Big Bad Boogeyman is going to get us? I've traveled alone across country more times that I can remember, and I have never ever had one whisper of a problem, anywhere.

To the OP: This is an adventure, girl! Look at it as the opportunity for a great new experience. Send your stuff with a moving company, and you sit down with a map and start figuring out all the cool stuff you want to see along the way. Who knows? You might never get the opportunity to do this drive again. And don't worry a bit about doing it alone, just use your head like you would in any situation and don't put yourself in bad spots. Take a week or two weeks or however long you please to make your drive. You'll see really interesting things and you'll be glad you did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues