Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 06:44 PM

595 posts, read 1,255,516 times

Advertisements

Unless you are skilled, elite, talented I do not know of many companies that offer this courtesy.

I even know a pastor whose day job was at Target whose family moved 2 hrs away and he ended up being a weekend dad while begging any of the three Targets in his new area to hire him so there would not be a lapse in insurance or income. He was working for $11 an hr, vounteer pastor because you have to take anything in this economy. <insert sarcasm>

Our local news says to plan on 60 hr weeks to rent, afford a car and insurance. Just the basics and the luxury of having two full days off are for the elite.

Too old for a red light too honest for crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 06:33 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post

Don't move without a job lined up?

Unless you are skilled, elite, talented...
Pretty much.

Wherever you might go there are already plenty of warm bodies available there
to do pretty much anything that needs doing from the menial to the grand.
This over supply of people is the root cause of most of the problems we have.

If you have children or other dependents the warning is even more real.
Still people need and want to move and do so every day. It can be done.

A big wad of cash to cover living expenses and surprises and a willingness to do
pretty much anything you can get for a while should see most single adults through
until they can make some personal contacts and get an offer.

Having a real skill that's in short supply can shorten that timeline some...
but it still won't eliminate the need to progress through the sequence.

Last edited by MrRational; 10-31-2014 at 06:45 AM..

Old 10-31-2014, 09:36 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
I did. Had no problem finding work. It can be done.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:32 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,389,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post
Unless you are skilled, elite, talented I do not know of many companies that offer this courtesy.

I even know a pastor whose day job was at Target whose family moved 2 hrs away and he ended up being a weekend dad while begging any of the three Targets in his new area to hire him so there would not be a lapse in insurance or income. He was working for $11 an hr, vounteer pastor because you have to take anything in this economy. <insert sarcasm>

Our local news says to plan on 60 hr weeks to rent, afford a car and insurance. Just the basics and the luxury of having two full days off are for the elite.

Too old for a red light too honest for crime.
Why did his family move without him? Was his spouse the main breadwinner in the family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues