U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 03:06 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,702,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Red Roof Inns allow pets too and they often are a step up from Motel 6 for about $5 more. Just tell them you need a pet room....NOT how many pets you have. We stayed in them when driving from CA to TN and back with 3 of our cats and 1 dog. They do not like that many pets, but what they do not know did not matter...and our pets do not destroy rooms.
Good to know for traveling! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 03:26 AM

383 posts, read 318,940 times
UPS (or USPS) is your friend. If you ship, remember what a friend who manages a depot told me: "Make sure you pack your things so that they can if necessary be dropped thirty feet." Do not skimp on packaging--and this doesn't mean you have to spend tons on bubble-wrap. Even glass that isn't swaddled in ten yards of wrapping will--if the entire box contents are snug and tight--resist breakage.

"In-box movement" causes as much breakage as items that aren't adequately wrapped. In my recent move, I shipped thirteen boxes. No glass item shattered. To my astonishment, what broke were plastic DVD jewel cases in a box-within-a box where there was in-box movement.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:02 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,153,510 times
Here's something I don't think anyone has mentioned...

In our old city we had an email account hosted by our local small town cable company. Obviously, when we moved to another city and terminated the cable service, we would also lose that email account. Big problem! I had to create gmail accounts for both of us, and then spend days changing our email addresses on all the various businesses and web sites where it was either the login, or the way they communicated with us. It also affected our home banking where the login was the way the bank got the e-bill.

I you have this same scenario, start now, and get it all straightened out. I will never have another email account not hosted by a large provider. Unless Google goes out of business, I'm in good shape.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:10 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,153,510 times
One more thing....it's a little tip, but a big helper. When you start packing, buy some Press and Seal plastic wrap. You can use this to shortcut some packing. For example, I took the silverware tray out of the drawer, wrapped it on Press and Seal with the silverware still in it. When I got to the new house, all I had to do was up unwrap the tray and slip it in the drawer.

Also used this for a costume jewelry organizer full of earrings, a little tool drawer set full of screws and nails, and a small craft organizer with a iffy latch on the lid.

I used it to easily pack my costume jewelry necklaces too. Lay a strip of the plastic wrap on the bed and place a necklace on the sticky side. Now roll the necklace over so that it is now encased in the plastic. Add another necklace and roll again. Keep going until you have a necklace "burrito". None of the necklaces are touching, so there's no tangling or scratching. Just unroll at the new house, and everything is in great shape.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:52 AM

10,489 posts, read 8,693,750 times
Truthfully and short: We made a plan and got going on it....One day at a time. If you've never done this before, it seems rough: we all want to go from A...to...Z in a day. Make an A,...,Z plan. Then go from A to B and B to C, and so on. Re-calibrate for unexpected outcomes. Remember to be nice to everyone while you do this. If you lose your temper, apologize. Stay in the here and now. If you're religious, God's will is sitting in in front of your face. Remember to say, thanks.

That wasn't so hard, was it.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:10 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,359,979 times
I cannot tell you enough how helpful this thread has been !!!!!! As someone who could very well be moving to FL from NY in about 3 years, I have always wondered how to pull it off in terms of selling 1 house, buying a new one, the timing, the kids etc. I'm gonna send my wife the link to this thread because I only hope it can ease her fears and concerns as much as it did mine. Please keep the helpful advice/ posts coming.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:05 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,768,083 times
The weird thing, too, is when you make large moves it takes on a life of its' own. You start the ball going, but it just goes the way it goes. It's such a big thing to do and you really must force yourself to relax through the process. You cannot control every detail and how things turn out. You can try and be prepared as possible, but then you just pray and try to relax, meditate, whatever, take long walks, hot baths. Have to de-stress during it all! Moving long distances can get very emotional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or