Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 05:14 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times

Advertisements

Boyfriend/girlfriend, and boyfriend is owner of the house. Girlfriend is NOT a renting tenant. She is the GIRLFRIEND. So you don't like that she is not paying utilities or rent and you are going to lose your parking space.

Tough. Either get over it and shut up or move. His house, his rules. Your pushing it will ruin the friendship. Read the above paragraph again, and again. This is a no-win if you push it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 05:37 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
This ^! You don't have 3 adults living under one roof and only 2 are paying the utilities. Doesn't this woman have a job? If she can afford to get a car she can pay rent and bills.

Not likely. A decision to have you're girlfriend/boyfriend move in is discussed for awhile before it happens. The OP just recently moved in, hasn't been living there for 6 months. The homeowner knew what was going on, it was wrong of him to not tell the OP about the girlfriend moving in.

OP has a right to be resentful. If you have 3 adults living in the same place, than you split the bills 3 ways. End of story.
Thanks, I agree.

The thing is, the guy started living in the house not long before I moved in. He was renting it out for several years to another couple, and due to several things decided to live there. Actually more than a year ago he was talking about moving into his own place and kept talking to me about moving in. I decided few months ago to do so as I thought it would be nice to be close to work and live with a person that I knew.

I knew he was recently separated and divorced from his ex-wife, and he never said anything about a girlfriend coming to live with us. If he was upfront about that I would have never moved in. I like the way he tried to subtly mentioned to me when I just moved in that his new girlfriend (former nanny of ex wife) was moving in, knowing I wouldn't like it. Actually the way he said it, it was like she was only staying for a few weeks, but then now she's staying for long term.

As I said before I don't like living with people I don't know, and the noise and the lack of privacy are annoying (I found out she's been coming into my room when I'm not there). She doesn't have a job but is planning on going to a nearby school.

I could care less about losing the 'friendship.'

Old 12-05-2014, 06:51 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
I think there are some issues beyond the utilities being divided three ways and a parking space. If two of the three roomies are sleeping together, it's highly unlikely you would win any disagreement over the living arrangements. If your friend or the girlfriend wants you to move out, he or she will make sure you feel like a third wheel. That gets old after a while, no matter how distant the friendship might be.

Ask the girlfriend if her old apartment is still available.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Boyfriend/girlfriend, and boyfriend is owner of the house. Girlfriend is NOT a renting tenant. She is the GIRLFRIEND. So you don't like that she is not paying utilities or rent and you are going to lose your parking space.

Tough. Either get over it and shut up or move. His house, his rules. Your pushing it will ruin the friendship. Read the above paragraph again, and again. This is a no-win if you push it.
Well the OP is a paying tenant, and in most places tenants have rights.

And you're full of beans, you wouldn't want to be paying higher utility bills either. You have an extra person showering, turning on lights, wanting the heat or A/C on, etc.

Would you go out to eat with this couple and split the check in half every time, no you wouldn't.

While the best solution in the long run would be to move, nothing wrong with speaking up.

Why can't this woman pay rent? She is coming from somewhere, she paid rent there.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:07 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
He probably had no idea the GF was moving in. And the next time you see your friend tell him it's no longer right for you to pay 1/2 the utilities. You will be paying 1/3 after the GF moves in. And if he kicks you out of your parking place, go for a deduction in the rent. Whatever you think is fair.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:55 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
He probably had no idea the GF was moving in. And the next time you see your friend tell him it's no longer right for you to pay 1/2 the utilities. You will be paying 1/3 after the GF moves in. And if he kicks you out of your parking place, go for a deduction in the rent. Whatever you think is fair.
Couples just don't move in together and decide that in a day or two, he knew she was moving in, the OP hasn't been living there that long, it's not like he has been there a year and now the girlfriend is moving in, he should have been advised of this when he moved in.

Agree about the rest, 3 adults live there, 3 adults split the bills.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:48 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
I guess you are not "Suburban_Guy" any more!

Old 12-07-2014, 10:11 AM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
As I said before I don't like living with people I don't know, and the noise and the lack of privacy are annoying (I found out she's been coming into my room when I'm not there). She doesn't have a job but is planning on going to a nearby school.
How do you know that she's been going into your room?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues