Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,278 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I live in NYC and I'd like to move to a warmer city with more nature. I was considering moving to Austin, San Antonio, LA, or San Diego. I am also leaving my accounting career behind since I can't stand working in an office setting anymore.

Any tips/ideas?

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 11:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
I'd say Los Angeles. It's a world-class big city like you're used to being in like NYC but nature is in every corner. You just choose what kind you want: hills, valleys, beach, desert, mountains. And the best weather year round, of course.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:25 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirituallatina View Post
I'd like to move to a warmer city with more nature.
I am also leaving my accounting career behind since I can't stand working in an office setting anymore.

Any tips/ideas?
1) Have some other way to earn a living somewhere secure and do so BEFORE moving.
2) Schedule an extensive visit to that place during the WORST weather season.
3) Deeply analyze the cost of living.

Quote:
I was considering moving to Austin, San Antonio, LA, or San Diego.
Look before you leap.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:55 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,704 times
Sarasota, FL

Old 12-07-2014, 02:46 PM

336 posts, read 589,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirituallatina View Post
Hi there,

I live in NYC and I'd like to move to a warmer city with more nature. I was considering moving to Austin, San Antonio, LA, or San Diego. I am also leaving my accounting career behind since I can't stand working in an office setting anymore.

Any tips/ideas?

Thank you so much!
What kinds of things do you like to do outside of work?

Old 12-08-2014, 07:10 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life. Do that FIRST.

Do you want to sell real estate, say. Do you want to be an outside rep for an accounting firm or sales person for pharmaceutical companies? Or do you want go work on an offshore oil rig?

Answer this first. If you don't have an answer, what so you like to do? If you just want to run away for a while, look at moving to Florida and working a tour boat out of the Keys. You will need to work two jobs to make ends meet and have room mates. But it might clear your head. Alternately, Tampa and Sarasota are rowing and ave a wide range of job opportunities, with tourist trade strong, which might get you out of,the office.

Just some thoughts

Old 01-09-2015, 05:30 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I guess this is the best thread to start again (I HATE those that start yet another thread for the same thing(s)

My situation: windowed in 2014, currently live in a very costly housing area, have a house but it needs lots of things done (general maintenance, upgrades, etc.) - I did NOT choose this house, he already had it when we married. There are some good points and bad points about it but bottom line is I need to move somewhere more affordable - I've come to realize that I can't take the shoveling, etc. - I want 4 seasons but can't take the extreme cold. There will be a little equity (not a ton) from selling (and it will have to be as is) - just approved for SSDI, so limited income - when I moved here from home state I didn't know anyone, have a job, etc. (but I was also YOUNG) - I've come to like some things and not others (love that so many stores are so convenient - hate the traffic).

I'm not as good looking as back in the day, LOL - where would you move as a middle aged widow that doesn't want to live in the middle of nowhere, enjoys "things", be it shops, restaurant availability, opportunity to meet others w/like interests (although I sadly lack in many interests, need to work on that). He has family that I visited in the fall in NC (LOVE the beach but scared to live too close). They aren't terribly close to ocean (45 mins. - 1 hr.), it's not a bad area but I just don't know..... I would actually like to meet folks in addition to those that aren't 20 yrs. old than I am.

I do want: 4 seasons, quiet when in my own place, access to some kind of water, convenience to a variety of grocery stores, etc. - public transportation would prob. be nice (spoiled here by Metro I suppose).

Throw out any thoughts please?

Old 01-09-2015, 05:52 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I guess this is the best thread to start again...
Yes, you should.
Quote:
(I HATE those that start yet another thread for the same thing(s)
It's better.

Quote:
...where would you move as a middle aged widow
that doesn't want to live in the middle of nowhere,
enjoys "things", be it shops, restaurant availability,
opportunity to meet others w/like interests

4 seasons, quiet when in my own place, access to some kind of water,
convenience to a variety of grocery stores, etc. - public transportation
Throw out any thoughts please?
That sounds like the INNER suburbs of any eastern city to me.
Maybe a bit closer in to town.

Alexandria ---> Takoma Pk ---> Adams Morgan

Last edited by MrRational; 01-09-2015 at 06:20 PM..

Old 01-09-2015, 07:26 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
What about the Charlotte area? Plenty of shopping and the city has been working on its public transportation. Light Rail and fairly good bus system Your a good distance from the ocean, but within range of visiting it from time to time.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:49 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Leaving a career behind, OP hasn't indicated what type of employment he/she is seeking. Best to know how much the paycheck will be 'before' heading out the door.

And I so agree with Mr. Rational that one needs to visit the proposed location during the worst weather season; and even then the weather pattern can change from year to year.

Can certainly understand wanting a warmer winter climate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues