U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 06:24 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,827,997 times

Advertisements

^^^Oh, those barking dogs! We had a home in a quiet and very nice neighborhood and one year it came. The dog that
wouldn't stop barking. So, we decided to move to another new area and rent first. Yes, there are rules however since
this apartment (and many others) are owned by corporations they allow dogs and most people have at least one.
I have to put on my sound machine and a fan (which makes noise) in order to sleep. Forget about opening up windows
during the nice weather. The management can only do so much (actually very little) since almost everyone has dogs.
Why, the company makes good money because there is a pet deposit $400.00, an extra charge per month for each
pet and when the people move they can charge fees to replace and/or fix any problems the pets have caused. And, I agree
it doesn't matter if it's a high price apartment or not. Maybe older apartments with concrete floors may reduce noise,
but most don't do much as far as noise insulation (that costs money).
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 06:32 AM

21,112 posts, read 30,189,612 times
Older buildings with masonry walls/floors can be fairly quiet in terms of neighbor noise with the only issue sometimes being slamming door noise from interior corridors. Newer apartments from my experience are dry wall disasters, hearing everything from loud conversations to TV noise and flushing toilets/showers.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:36 AM

5,504 posts, read 8,832,394 times
Construction of the apartment plays a big role in noise. If you can find a concrete highrise apartment you will likely have less noise problems than a stick built four-plex type building.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:57 AM

7,688 posts, read 25,612,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Older buildings with masonry walls/floors can be fairly quiet in terms of neighbor noise with the only issue sometimes being slamming door noise from interior corridors. Newer apartments from my experience are dry wall disasters, hearing everything from loud conversations to TV noise and flushing toilets/showers.
Out here in California, our apartments have been ticky-tack pieces of crud probably for centuries.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:15 AM

383 posts, read 319,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
^^^Oh, those barking dogs! We had a home in a quiet and very nice neighborhood and one year it came. The dog that
wouldn't stop barking. So, we decided to move to another new area and rent first. Yes, there are rules however since
this apartment (and many others) are owned by corporations they allow dogs and most people have at least one.
I have to put on my sound machine and a fan (which makes noise) in order to sleep. Forget about opening up windows
during the nice weather. The management can only do so much (actually very little) since almost everyone has dogs.
Why, the company makes good money because there is a pet deposit $400.00, an extra charge per month for each
pet and when the people move they can charge fees to replace and/or fix any problems the pets have caused. And, I agree
it doesn't matter if it's a high price apartment or not. Maybe older apartments with concrete floors may reduce noise,
but most don't do much as far as noise insulation (that costs money).
I love dogs. I love all animals. I rolled myself up in a ball on a floor weeping with grief over the death of the largest dog I knew--a trained, quiet soul rescued from a shelter.

Any sensory stimuli that impacts another person's ability to function: noise and smells, upon which no curtains can be drawn, are not misdemeanors. If a person has to move to escape the torture--that's my definition of a felony.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:47 AM

1,840 posts, read 1,360,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNorthMainer View Post
In my experience, price has nothing to do with it whatever--and in fact, renting even a stand-alone home in a cramped neighborhood is as bad as renting an apartment.
THAT is very true !!
I left my last ranch about 11 years ago when I got sick and moved back into town in an apt for the first time in 22 years ( at that time ) I was even born on a ranch .
I love apt living . I even live in a sketchy part of town - Seattle is incredibly expensive.
I am finally free from alot of responsibility that I could no longer cope with sick and was underlyingly tired of anyway . I still work at 2 racetracks( horses ) which was my usual occupation and do not have to worry about my appliances , taxes , nothing. 300,000 of renters ins is 19.00 a month. I do live on the top floor and board my own personal horses and even get to finish and sell more of them due to not having to do so much other work . Eventually what I am sick with will cause me to have to stop all but a little show horse activity and I am glad I don't have to worry about maintaining a home much less an entire farm.
I seem to be able , just in general, to go and do more things also . I don't have anyone bother me ever and my neighbors have always pretty much just stayed to themselves. I think I have lived in 3 complexes in 10 years due to my husbands job. I wish I'd always done this . I feel like I wasted money owning farms.

The only thing I do not like is carpet. I think ALL Apt's should have wood/ pretend wood/ vinyl floors & add a throw rug. Its usually the upscale's that have the floors. Sometimes I think its the corporate way of gleaning more money. I own a GOOD carpet cleaning machine Plus will have a good steaming done every so often and I do not care how clean it is ,it's never enough, but other than that I am fine .

At 52 own or rent , Ill be paying someone else for the rest of my life anyway .

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 12-09-2014 at 11:00 AM..

Old 12-09-2014, 12:16 PM

4,978 posts, read 7,270,107 times
I've lived in quite a few apartment complexes and thankfully I've been safe at all of them. However, not all have them have been quiet.

Dogs I found to be the biggest annoyance regarding noise issues at apartments. And I love dogs too, however the constant barking will drive one up a wall. Currently, I live in a pet-restricted/dog-restricted complex and the noise level is minimal. Occasionally I'll hear some banging or thumping of sorts, but nothing that has lasted into the night.... maybe like a 10 second period of banging or an on and off thumping for a few minutes is about the extent of it...

My neighbors mostly keep to themselves and that's fine by me. Never have encountered drunks passed out on the lawns or drug-use etc....in any of the complexes I've lived in.

Being that I live in FL, the apartment complexes tend to be gated, so whether that provides a false sense of security or not...i dont know, but I use common sense. I lock my car. I lock my doors, and I never leave my apartment unlocked...

Old 12-09-2014, 12:20 PM

383 posts, read 319,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
The only thing I do not like is carpet. I think ALL Apt's should have wood/ pretend wood/ vinyl floors & add a throw rug. Its usually the upscale's that have the floors. Sometimes I think its the corporate way of gleaning more money. I own a GOOD carpet cleaning machine Plus will have a good steaming done every so often and I do not care how clean it is ,it's never enough, but other than that I am fine .

At 52 own or rent , Ill be paying someone else for the rest of my life anyway .
I agree with every word you wrote. I just moved into a bare-floor apartment and gave away all my carpet cleaning equipment (it gets harder to "wrassle" every year older you get). You hit the nail on the head, too, being so realistic about coming to terms with age + not being a millionaire.

Anyway, I loved reading what you wrote and your upbeat attitude. I'll just repeat that it really all comes down to luck, finding a peaceful place to live.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:24 PM

7,496 posts, read 9,715,710 times
It depends. I've lived in some where you could hear everything everybody else does, and two that weren't that bad. Where I live now, I can't hear anything unless someone drops something on the floor or something, I can hear that.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:53 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,051,215 times
My cheap apartment is very quiet for the most part. Occasionally I'll hear some kids running around or the vacuum in the hallway or the garbage truck outside, but that's about it. I live on the top floor, so that might have something do with the lack of noise since I don't have to deal with any tromping or dropping from above. My complex is comprised of mostly families. I feel completely safe here. None of the people I encounter seem sketchy or dangerous (mostly friendly actually), and I've never witnessed any crime in the 7 years I've lived here. According to guests, it smells very bad in the hallways, but I'm acclimated to it and don't even notice. My apartment doesn't allow dogs, but there is a service animal dog in the building that really annoys me when I enter and exit my building. It has scared me at 5 AM before.

Everyone just keeps to themselves and tries to make the best out of a bad situation. Living together in a building isn't enjoyable because there are days when you just want to go to your apartment without running into a neighbor. But, as long as everyone is cooperative, it can be an okay experience. It just takes one lousy tenant to ruin the entire environment, and I thankfully don't have any of those where I live. It's important to be considerate of others and that includes being considerate of the occasional noise at odd hours. You have to be respectful towards your neighbors, but don't freak out when they're occasionally living their lives a little louder than you prefer unless it's a repetitive issue that's negative impacting your life regularly.

Last edited by maniac77; 12-09-2014 at 01:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues