U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 05:25 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,989,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Our biggest problem in two different apartments has been that young children (ages ~3 to 6) tend to like to jump--off couches, off beds, etc. The last apartment we lived in was really bad that way. And that little boy stayed up until 10:30 - 11:00 pm every night!! One time the mother left me a note that they were having a birthday party for him and it would be noisy. Since it was a Sunday afternoon, we went to the movies and out to lunch. Missed the party entirely! Yea!

The other issue was that the man in the apartment above us worked some sort of shift and usually took a shower around 1:00 a.m. Woke me up a lot. Then their kid would be up at 7:00 a.m. playing with noisy toys and yes, jumping!!
Ha one time our neighbor above us kept making a LOT of noise. Basically it sounded like someone was picking up the furniture and throwing it across the room.

Finally after weeks I'd had enough, I remember it was finals week in college and I finally went upstairs and he says "oh yeah sorry my kids are playing ball."

IN THE HOUSE! WTF?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 05:36 PM

14,123 posts, read 20,884,550 times
Get an apartment on top floor in the corner. Less noise to deal with. When I've lived on my own, I've had some pretty good apartments with minor problems. And I can hear everything so I'm very anal about it.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:08 PM

17,391 posts, read 21,228,976 times
NoiseFree.org states that the Number 1 reason for relocations is due to issues with noise!

Years ago, to escape unwarranted noise in the city, I bought me 15 acres 80 miles north of the city and built me a quiet weekend getaway!

Quiet? In winter, it was the loud buzzing of the snowmobiles on a nearby state forest, in summer, it was the blasts of the shotguns, practice shooting for the deer season, other weekenders bought their kids noisy dirt bikes, where they oftentimes tooled around my property!

Too close to a recreational river, canoeists would set up camp along the riverbanks, and play loud music on their boom boxes at night!

That cured me of seeking peace and quiet in the country!

Old 12-11-2014, 02:37 AM

383 posts, read 320,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Plenty of great advice here. I've lived in four different houses in recent years but prior to that I lived in so many different apartments I've lost track of the number. In my experience, the most important factors in ensuring quiet are (in order):

1. Building construction (yes, old is better and concrete construction is best)
2. Pet situation (no pets allowed is best; in some cities that is more likely than others)
3. Age of residents (older is quieter)

Buildings constructed TO BE CONDOS are usually the quietest, but the term "condo" itself is no guarantee. Many condominiums are "condo conversions," i.e. buildings that used to be rentals but were later sold as condos. Newer rental buildings usually aren't constructed with any effort whatsoever to abate noise. Older buildings with high-quality construction, and building built for the purpose of being condominiums, will be quieter.

Even living with downright elderly people is no guarantee of quiet. Many turn their TVs up daily to screech-level with no regard for the fact that others aren't hard of hearing. But you have one party and these same people are calling the police. Plenty of old people sleep with their TVs on, so it never stops. Also, some elders are bored and lonely and they dedicate themselves to getting into their neighbors' business.

I'm sure children can be just as bad. But as someone mentioned, if you rent in a building that has one-bedrooms or studios, you are less likely to get children in the building. (Needless to say, stay away from anyplace with a playground!)

As I said, I live in a single-family home now and I've found all of them to be just as noisy as apartments. Mostly it's the dogs. My HOA has a rule against more than three dogs and people disobey it all the time. Many of my neighbors leave their dogs outside all day while they are at work and it's constant barking. I have a neighbor across the street with a huge dog and it has such sensitive hearing, it barks every time I open my front door! It's tied up in the back of her house where it can't even see my house, but it hears me unlock and open my door. So just imagine how it acts when the UPS truck comes. I have four neighbors with multiple dogs within hearing distance of my home. And one of them also has teenagers who have outdoor pool parties almost every weekend in the summer. I lived in an apartment next door to a popular bar and it was quieter than that.

Noise cancelling headphones are your friend.
Magnificent post. Every word true. My federal case was against an old bat (I was an almost-old-bat, and that was seven years ago, so I can say "old bat"). She had found God you see and had a minister for a son. She turned her television on at 6 p.m. and praised the Lord with her flat-screen babysitter until 6 a.m. Yes, she taught me a lot about Hell.

As for the dogs: all I can say is I paid my dues in that Hell, too. Did I ever.

God bless for one of the best posts on this thread and for putting up with what you do.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
NoiseFree.org states that the Number 1 reason for relocations is due to issues with noise!

Years ago, to escape unwarranted noise in the city, I bought me 15 acres 80 miles north of the city and built me a quiet weekend getaway!

Quiet? In winter, it was the loud buzzing of the snowmobiles on a nearby state forest, in summer, it was the blasts of the shotguns, practice shooting for the deer season, other weekenders bought their kids noisy dirt bikes, where they oftentimes tooled around my property!

Too close to a recreational river, canoeists would set up camp along the riverbanks, and play loud music on their boom boxes at night!

That cured me of seeking peace and quiet in the country!
Yessirree, Bob.

I was going to relocate to the absolute heart of Mormon country a few years ago--not because I'm Mormon, but because I thought that was where I'd finally find peace and quiet. Lucky for me, I did extensive background searches of the area and learned it was a haven for--ah, bliss--off-roading enthusiasts. Gotta love enthusiasts who get enthusiastic about making noise.

Ditto what I said to Jukegirl: every word here is true.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Headphones and earbuds mandatory? yeah let me walk around my house all day with earbuds on and sleep all night with that crap. I'm sure wearing headphones 24/7 would be great for my hearing as well.

GIVE ME A BREAK! WTF...How about building an apartment so you can't hear someone cough?! On top of it, "earbuds" don't block out many types of sounds, especially base sounds.
So then what are you doing on Page 5 of this thread? You want to "live large." I'm sure your neighbors love your playlists and high-def television. I mean, what do you expect someone to say on a thread devoted to how much misery apartment-living is? "Good for you?"

Old 12-11-2014, 05:55 AM

3,854 posts, read 5,303,655 times
I've come to the conclusion that there are many who just cannot stand the sounds of silence. I crave it.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:28 AM

22,707 posts, read 16,817,419 times
If I can help it, I will only rent homes from here on out. Every single apartment building I've lived in has had the rudest, most inconsiderate, loud neighbors. It's not their televisions or stereos, it's the midnight furniture moving, or their non stop stomping back and forth, over and over again, at 5am so fricken loud it rattles the dishes. In one city, it was the downstairs neighbors who would bang around in their apartment at all hours of the night...I finally found out, it was the lady POUNDING out tortilla shells on the kitchen counter at 10pm. It went on and on. It was the intersection I lived next to, with three different traffic lights, and the blaring bass from the cars, and the non stop incessant horn honking....all day, all night. It was the drunks screeching "woo hoo" at the top of their lungs.

For the stompy mcstompersons, the furniture movers, and the tortilla pounders, all management will do is tell you that it's "living noises".

Oh, and I forgot about the kid....the 10 year old kid who was left alone at home every single fricken night to run around the entire complex, up and down the stairs, slamming the door over and over again, him and his friends screaming and yelling outside all around the building, cursing up a storm...what a delight that was.

Even if you are "in the right" about the noises your neighbors put out, some people in this world are stupid and petty, and will make even more noises just to be aholes about it once you inform management of how ignorant they are.

If you can avoid apartment life, do it.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
For the stompy mcstompersons
You sound almost as enchanted with modern life as I am.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:54 PM

978 posts, read 1,620,991 times
I've lived in some awesome and some not so awesome apartments. I've dealt with screaming, dogs running around, loud music, and someone setting off the building fire alarm by cooking.

The best apartments are usually on the top floor, although it sucks moving stuff up stairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues