U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:43 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,659,191 times

Advertisements

I learned my lesson the hard way at my first apartment. It was a ground floor unit and I lived below loud people. Initially I thought it was the person above me. One night I banged on his door and confronted him. He said he was asleep. I realized it was his next door neighbor who would drop his free weights on the floor at all hours of the day. All management did, after I complained, was put out a notice to be respectful of noise. I now believe unless there is something really wrong their hands are tied on dealing with noise. My last apartment was probably the best because I had a through apartment, my brother has told me they are called "Louisiana Style" apartments, and I only had neighbors on either side of me. People are loud, obnoxious and I think don't realize, don't care how loud they can be. I look forward to the day when I have my own house and don't have to worry about neighbors right next door to me. My current apartment is an absolute dump. The only redeeming quality is the washer dryer in unit. I don't mind moving stuff up to the top floor. I make that clear to the leasing office staff, if you don't have a top floor, don't waste my time. Honestly the noise is not to bad here. I have had it worse at other places. I just wonder why people make so much noise. The other thing too, with living a top floor I try to be considerate of the people below me. I don't know how I sound and hope I don't stomp around like an elephant. Apartments are full of vagabonds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 01:41 PM

4,881 posts, read 4,831,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Get an apartment on top floor in the corner. Less noise to deal with. When I've lived on my own, I've had some pretty good apartments with minor problems. And I can hear everything so I'm very anal about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I've lived in some awesome and some not so awesome apartments. I've dealt with screaming, dogs running around, loud music, and someone setting off the building fire alarm by cooking.
The best apartments are usually on the top floor, although it sucks moving stuff up stairs.
I agree that a top floor would be the best bet. It got me thinking that our first apartment which was
on the second floor (and probably was built during mid 60's or early 70's) had an elevator. Now
most 2-3 story buildings do not. It was fine when I was in my 20's but now going up 3 floors with
groceries, moving and bad knees it is more difficult.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:03 PM

78,058 posts, read 69,976,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post

The best apartments are usually on the top floor, although it sucks moving stuff up stairs.
Stairs? Do you live in Russia or east Berlin? In the US, they have this cool thing called an elevator.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:33 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,481,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Stairs? Do you live in Russia or east Berlin? In the US, they have this cool thing called an elevator.
Where I lived, we had stairs. They were split in the middle and were not quite even. I don't like carrying things while climbing stairs, but had to do it in small batches. My little dog tried, but she was old an it was so hard for her I carried her. We got the roof leaks. Worse of all, carrying furnature in and out...

Worse, worse worse of all was the psycho son who lived next door and spend his free time yelling at and possibly abusing his 80 year old mother, who was a delightful person. Finally after neighbors called her other son she was taken to visit him. the now tweeker/psycho sold everything and his 'friends' kept knocking on my door to use my 'internet'. (he'd messed his up). Cops were called but could do nothing. Elder abuse people were called in but she stoutely defended the psych. Finally he ran out of money and missed the rent and finally they could kick him out. She could stay without him but wouldn't so her other son moved her elsewhere. I felt so bad for her and could NEVER relax with his tweeker friends hanging around my door.

What I really love about my little house is on one side is a corner and the other is a vacent lot before you have another house and even when my pup is yapping incessantly you can barely hear it outside so my noise isn't bothering others.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:49 PM

2,252 posts, read 2,085,620 times
I thought about this thread as I was reading this story in complete shock

How One Man Is Terrorizing Neighbors With a Hostile Holiday Decoration Display

even if you own a home, it is no guarantee that your neighbors will be "human"!

side note - if you use Google street view to find this house, it is so much worse than it appears in this picture. It's 360 degrees of CRAZY!!!

Old 12-30-2014, 11:48 AM

405 posts, read 417,287 times
I've only lived in 2 apartments. The first one was super, almost eerily, quiet until about 5:30-6pm, which was great for me as a night shift person. Even after 6pm, I'd only hear the occasional vacuum, television, or somebody yelling. The 2nd apartment, my neighbor was a family of 4 and the kids were probably around 7 or 8. I figured the kids would be the problem, but they were actually fairly quiet. They'd get excited every once in awhile and get loud, but for the most part, I was never bothered by the kids. The problem was the father, who had a really deep voice that carried very well. On top of that, this guy had been in the navy and had suffered some hearing loss so he spoke really loud because he had to be able to hear himself so his normal speaking voice would have been a yell from anybody else.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:15 AM

981 posts, read 1,970,014 times
Default Apartments aren't much fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Have not lived in an apartment for 30 years, moving to a new city and am planning on renting a house but honestly if an apartment was quiet enough I would consider an apartment over a house; cheaper, and maybe (or not) not so strict on a year's lease (i have another post on lease length, this post is more about the noise in apartments). Just wondering from anybody here who lives in an apartment how bad is the noise issue? I would be willing to rent a nicer upscale apartment, ie i am not talking about slummy apartment rental. Do apartments generally have a written noise ordinance clause so that if i was hearing noise from other renters through my walls/ceiling/floor that I would have a remedy, viz get the manager to have the other renters turn volumes down so i do not hear their stereo or home theater or drums set etc?
I think apartments are a claustrophobic, unnatural way to live unless you find cement walls/floors and get lucky with people who get the concept of shared silence. I take the "extreme" view that headphones should be mandatory for music and TV if much of anything is getting through the walls. It's the only way to be fair all around.

Regardless of how strict the noise rules might seem, don't expect them to be fully enforced. You stand a good chance of having a manager who has to be "fair" to obnoxious tenants or personally witness a disturbance before taking action. You risk being called a complainer if you keep getting annoyed and the manager gets tired of hearing about it.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Many 2 or 3 story wood-framed apartments in America don't have any elevators.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I learned my lesson the hard way at my first apartment. It was a ground floor unit and I lived below loud people. Initially I thought it was the person above me. One night I banged on his door and confronted him. He said he was asleep. I realized it was his next door neighbor who would drop his free weights on the floor at all hours of the day. All management did, after I complained, was put out a notice to be respectful of noise. I now believe unless there is something really wrong their hands are tied on dealing with noise. My last apartment was probably the best because I had a through apartment, my brother has told me they are called "Louisiana Style" apartments, and I only had neighbors on either side of me. People are loud, obnoxious and I think don't realize, don't care how loud they can be. I look forward to the day when I have my own house and don't have to worry about neighbors right next door to me. My current apartment is an absolute dump. The only redeeming quality is the washer dryer in unit. I don't mind moving stuff up to the top floor. I make that clear to the leasing office staff, if you don't have a top floor, don't waste my time. Honestly the noise is not to bad here. I have had it worse at other places. I just wonder why people make so much noise. The other thing too, with living a top floor I try to be considerate of the people below me. I don't know how I sound and hope I don't stomp around like an elephant. Apartments are full of vagabonds.
Noisy people need to man-up and quiet down!

Apartment life can keep you in a constant state of tension where you never fully relax. A lot of neighbors don't speak much because they resent having to hear each other, even if intentions are good. I think it goes against evolution to be stacked so close to random people who could disrupt your peace at any moment.

In the old cave/hut days I imagine there was strong etiquette and people probably new each other well enough to cooperate. But knowing human nature that's just a guess.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:57 AM

7,496 posts, read 9,721,274 times
It depends. I've lived in both, ones where you could hear everything and ones where you could hear almost nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues