Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 05:58 PM

428 posts, read 810,032 times

Advertisements

Have not lived in an apartment for 30 years, moving to a new city and am planning on renting a house but honestly if an apartment was quiet enough I would consider an apartment over a house; cheaper, and maybe (or not) not so strict on a year's lease (i have another post on lease length, this post is more about the noise in apartments). Just wondering from anybody here who lives in an apartment how bad is the noise issue? I would be willing to rent a nicer upscale apartment, ie i am not talking about slummy apartment rental. Do apartments generally have a written noise ordinance clause so that if i was hearing noise from other renters through my walls/ceiling/floor that I would have a remedy, viz get the manager to have the other renters turn volumes down so i do not hear their stereo or home theater or drums set etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 06:09 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Honestly it all depends on who your neighbors are & if you get along....
I currently live in a studio & can't stand the noise of the people in this building....
For instance I like to meditate & do my yoga in the morning-
every morning the idiots in this building slam doors, stomp around needlessly, etc.

A year or 2 ago I was in a condo (better rental environment)
the noise levels there were fine, because we all looked out for each other,
& we respected each other for the most part.
For instance I could crank up my workout music all the way up & everyone was cool w/ that-
plus I had a hot personal trainer on the first floor under me, lol
We were kinda like family in that building....

I wish I could find a place like that again--
But to get back to my point- ya' never know until you actually live there...
Go for the 6 month lease.....

Old 12-08-2014, 06:16 PM

428 posts, read 810,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Honestly it all depends on who your neighbors are & if you get along....
I currently live in a studio & can't stand the noise of the people in this building....
For instance I like to meditate & do my yoga in the morning-
every morning the idiots in this building slam doors, stomp around needlessly, etc.

A year or 2 ago I was in a condo (better rental environment)
the noise levels there were fine, because we all looked out for each other,
& we respected each other for the most part.
For instance I could crank up my workout music all the way up & everyone was cool w/ that-
plus I had a hot personal trainer on the first floor under me, lol
We were kinda like family in that building....

I wish I could find a place like that again--
But to get back to my point- ya' never know until you actually live there...
Go for the 6 month lease.....
After I started this thread it hit me-- a compromise might be to expand my search for a rental from single family homes to include townhomes (is a condo the same thing? townhomes and condos are different checkboxes on zillow so i am not sure), maybe forget about apartments. A townhome would have a shared wall, but if the floor plan layout was smart the bedrooms would be far away in both units with living rooms + kitchen sharing the common wall. At least with a townhome it would be one wall for potential noise and as you said more of a sense of community, respect at least a little.

city-data rocks! you guys rock who respond, so nice to have this forum to figure things out prior to a move!

Old 12-08-2014, 07:24 PM

383 posts, read 429,756 times
I refer you to my recent thread: Silence: the Neglected "Green" Issue

I know I'll sound boastful if I call myself a walking encyclopedia on this subject. I actually acted pro se in federal district court over the issue--and did not lose. (It got to arbitration and settlement, with no gag order.)

I wear headphones 24/7. Earbuds throughout the night. I won't sugar-coat the issue: you will *always* live in fear in an apartment building. But if the choice is between that or suicide, I would advise suffering. You can die a martyr to a cause--and it's a cause I've waged a battle for for thirty-five years.

Best of luck to you, because luck is the frightening, operative word--luck, and being courageous enough to be called a "crank" by the feeble-minded who live large on a small planet, mindless of the misery they cause others and the havoc they wreak on their own health and well-being.

Last edited by Purplecow; 12-08-2014 at 07:38 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 09:01 PM

49 posts, read 61,432 times
Expect to always be aware of your neighbors. Get an apartment on the top floor. Have an escape plan. Really, if you have any choice at all, don't get an apartment. Some are better than others.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:24 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
I will never live in an apartment again, ever. Upstairs neighbors stomping around, drunks passed out on my patio, rampant drug use, dogs barking. All condoned by management. Rent a house.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:59 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
In my experience it depends on price of apartment and whether or not they are privately owned (condos).

The cheaper the apartment the more riffraff comes in, there tends to be more crime and careless tenants. IF you are renting at a higher price or in luxury apartments then you won't have to deal with these types and it is usually quiet, albeit loud parties on the weekends (understandable). This is why some apartments tend to be pricier, so they can weed out the bad tenants.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberhammonds View Post
Expect to always be aware of your neighbors. Get an apartment on the top floor. Have an escape plan. Really, if you have any choice at all, don't get an apartment. Some are better than others.
Very well-said, and the EXTREMELY depressing thing about this is that even if you had [pick your favorite holy man and his "wife"] as neighbors, it's the awareness that you must have awareness of them that makes life so hard. Insufficient privacy in twentieth and now twenty-first-century housing is the under-discussed and, I believe, absolute source of 99% of the world's miseries.

I disagree with another poster who talks about "riff-raff" and price of rent. In my experience, there is NO correlation whatever between the two.

Last edited by Purplecow; 12-09-2014 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: omitted word

Old 12-09-2014, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
In my experience it depends on price of apartment and whether or not they are privately owned (condos).

The cheaper the apartment the more riffraff comes in, there tends to be more crime and careless tenants. IF you are renting at a higher price or in luxury apartments then you won't have to deal with these types and it is usually quiet, albeit loud parties on the weekends (understandable). This is why some apartments tend to be pricier, so they can weed out the bad tenants.
In my experience, price has nothing to do with it whatever--and in fact, renting even a stand-alone home in a cramped neighborhood is as bad as renting an apartment.

I owned and lived in my own home near a barking dog-from-hell. For ten years--ten years of my precious life--my daily activity and that of others in the neighborhood was structured by a chained dog in a backyard owned by human garbage. Ten magistrate hearings throughout the years. I ended up selling and moving.

Before I owned the home, in an infinitely more upper-class neighborhood with my parents, another chained dog, chained conveniently for the trash who owned the home at the far edge of their yard but feet from my family's bedroom windows, turned 1981 into a literally bedridden nightmare.

Money has nothing to do with it. It's overpopulation. There are too many of us, all colors, all nationalities. When you have too many humans, the likelihood of your having too many unfeeling morons increases as the population increases.

It's LUCK. Scary? Yep, as all H*ll. Scary, but true.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:32 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNorthMainer View Post
In my experience, price has nothing to do with it whatever--and in fact, renting even a stand-alone home in a cramped neighborhood is as bad as renting an apartment.

I owned and lived in my own home near a barking dog-from-hell. For ten years--ten years of my precious life--my daily activity and that of others in the neighborhood was structured by a chained dog in a backyard owned by human garbage. Ten magistrate hearings throughout the years. I ended up selling and moving.

Before I owned the home, in an infinitely more upper-class neighborhood with my parents, another chained dog, chained conveniently for the trash who owned the home at the far edge of their yard but feet from my family's bedroom windows, turned 1981 into a literally bedridden nightmare.

Money has nothing to do with it. It's overpopulation. There are too many of us, all colors, all nationalities. When you have too many humans, the likelihood of your having too many unfeeling morons increases as the population increases.

It's LUCK. Scary? Yep, as all H*ll. Scary, but true.
Unfortunately, I can identify with NNM. Not even the law can force idiots to be quiet. Listen to me on this: Find out what local noise ordinances exist in the area that you are interested in moving to. If there are none on the books, you are scr*wed. They cannot enforce what isn't in writing.

I've lived in at least three places considered to be "in the country". There are still problems with noise, mostly barking dogs. There is no guarantee that you will have quiet, no matter where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues