Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 06:47 PM

11 posts, read 13,827 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to move from CA to CT. We are presently living in an apartment. Any suggestions for good movers ?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 06:59 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
Don't get a mover. If you have an apartment, either rent a Penske truck, or get a ABF UPack trailer. If it is a small apartment, you may be able to use a pod.

Look real hard at what to move, and what you can replace when you get there.

If moving more than one car (you can haul one behind the truck) and one of you don't want to drive it, there are brokers who will hook you up with a transport company.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:43 PM

How do I find out whether the small moving companies/brokers are credible?

Thanks!

Old 12-09-2014, 04:28 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
We've had great success with Broadway Express for long-distance moves. We have a lot of books, and they charge by linear foot within the truck, not by weight. The only catch is that you have to hire your own movers, which is one extra logistical detail to deal with -- but we found it worth it. We found Broadway Express after scouring many, many pages of reviews, and have now used them twice ourselves.

If you want a full-service moving company, I'd suggest asking in the relevant CT forum; our best move experience with a moving company came with a company that did national moves with the start or end destination out of one specific big city, and they wouldn't necessarily have been on our radar if we'd been looking at national companies. There may be some similar highly-recommended company moving people to/from CT; odds are that people are making that CA-CT trek on a very regular basis (depending on where in California you are, I suppose).

Old 12-09-2014, 04:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I just used this moving company for my move from Redding to Crescent City. They also do packing and long moves, too. I got a deal with them because they were moving someone else from Redding to this area, and he told me if I could be ready on that day, they could add my studio's worth of stuff to the same truck for a much-reduced price. The movers were on time, and really reliable. The owner was great to work with. Even gave me some free boxes. Best moving experience ever.

The owner is Bob Wilson. I'd call him and see if he can do it, and if not, ask him for a recommendation. Tell him the lady he just moved to Crescent City sent you.

Hemsted's Moving and Storage, Transfer Company Redding and Chico, CA | We are a moving and storage company in Redding and Chico, CA

Great reviews on Yelp, too.

Hemsted

Old 12-10-2014, 12:53 PM

Thanks everyone !

Old 12-22-2014, 06:25 PM

5 posts, read 4,128 times
Are you in need of someone to move a vehicle for you?My daughter is relocating from Oakland,CA to Pasadena,MD in January (the 10th) and I would like to do a road trip with her and help her move (non bulky items) Would you be interested in talking?
Thanks, Roger Hammar.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:11 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro27 View Post
My husband and I are planning to move from CA to CT.
We are presently living in an apartment.
How big of an apartment?
How many big pieces and of what objective value?

Quote:
Any suggestions...
Moving across town... take your stuff.
Moving across country... shed the BIG items.

Sell or even give away anything that won't fit into a box.
Replace the big items with moving sale items already in CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues