U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 07:50 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,661,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfens9 View Post
It is quite simple...if you are rich in America, you are happy. If you are middle class or poor you are unhappy.

Doesn't matter where in the country, the pattern is the same everywhere.

Why do the poor and middle class put up with this? Because they think they'll become rich!

It's a brilliant system, it really is. But all things come to an end in due time. Once enough people stop believing in the system, they will stop hustling to become rich and instead choose quality of life, and time, and smelling the roses. Once that happens watch the great industrial machine grind to a halt and no amount of dollars injected into the system by the Federal Reserve will change it back.
What lunacy. Plenty of rich people struggle with their private demons - just think of Robin Williams. Money allows options, but does not guarantee happiness.

Likewise, many middle class people are happy; some like their jobs, and their middle class incomes allow for interesting and gratifying hobbies and activities. Becoming rich is certainly NOT everyone's goal. For one thing sensible people realize it's not a practical goal. Becoming comfortable (i.e., middle class) is a more reasonable and attainable goal.

It probably is harder to be happy if you are poor. Life in general is more stressful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 03:41 AM

6,322 posts, read 4,734,007 times
Follow the sun.....

Old 12-25-2014, 09:49 AM

2,564 posts, read 2,161,744 times
Southeast Florida must be the angriest place on earth right now.

If people come here because this is "Paradise", how the heck do they act everywhere else?

Cut the horn-honking, people. It really doesn't help.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:51 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,771,403 times
I need the Sun to feel half way decent, but learned that the hard way. Moved to one of the gloomiest places on the map and boy, it was bad. Waking up to cloudy skies for months on end was not my idea of contentment. I wouldn't care if someone had offered me a billion dollars to stay put. I would have left. Weather, quality of life in general, cost of living, the people/social support, the economy of a place--all those factors create contentment or not.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:52 PM

55,491 posts, read 74,383,428 times
the happy people move as far away from violence as they can get. the move as far from polar bear hunters as possible.
of course then one must ask what do you do when there is no place left to hide?

Old 12-25-2014, 03:09 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,417,634 times
If you don't mind snow and cold for months, Minnesota can be really beautiful. When the weather is nice, we spend as much time as we can outside. Winter is for getting your inside things and hobbies done.

I was going to retire to Tennessee as it sounds beautiful, but have decided that I want to be by friends, Dr., Church, etc. I'm planning on moving to a small town close to my brother, who lives in the country.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:22 PM

32,409 posts, read 17,722,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
The misconception is that some believe a place can make them happy; the way Disneyland claims to be the happiest place on earth. If a person is normally unhappy, that person will most likely be unhappy no matter where they live.
Yes! We have several who post on the Oklahoma forum who constantly blame their surroundings for their unhappiness.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:31 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,417,634 times
I believe that could be true for some people but not all. I have to be by water (which Minnesota has in spades) but did not realize it until I moved to a place that was lucky to have streams. No lakes, no rivers. I was extremely unhappy there. So I do believe that a person could be unhappy in an environment that does not fit you.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:06 PM

35 posts, read 41,353 times
NYC1614 ~ I totally get being around happy people, it's so important. Here is a map posted in my FB feed today that may help bring some clarity. The smaller the number out of 3K+, the "easier" life is and typically that would mean a more casual, easy, happy approach to life.

Possible HAPPY PEOPLE here

Old 12-25-2014, 05:22 PM

28,396 posts, read 61,765,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Yes! We have several who post on the Oklahoma forum
who constantly blame their surroundings for their unhappiness.
Well, to be fair to them... it **is** Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or