Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 10:37 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,946,996 times

Advertisements

Born and raised in Kentucky. Half way through my senior year of high school, my parents moved to Mississippi. Convinced me to go to college in Mississippi, so I'd be "close to home" (in case I needed help with anything, or just wanted a home-cooked meal). Unfortunately, all the colleges were a few hours away from where my parents were living, and my parents decided they were going to pay my tuition and nothing else. So then I was stuck in small-town Mississippi, where I hated the humidity, and there was nothing to do. I had to work minimum wage jobs around my school schedule, and as such all my weekends were spent at a desk instead of "heading home for a home cooked meal".

After a year, I'd had enough. I couldn't stand living there, only made a handful of friends, and wanted out. Parents were unwilling to help, so I packed everything in my car and drove west. Wound up in Phoenix, AZ. Long, semi-unrelated story on why I chose Phoenix, but it's worked out so far. I don't work nearly as much as I did in Mississippi (jobs actually pay money here!), and I'm nearly done with school (would be done already, but I took two years off when I first moved here, to establish residency and not pay out of state tuition).

So, I guess the best way to deal with a "bad move" is to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 01:56 PM

91 posts, read 100,371 times
I'm currently in CT(the move wasn't my choice) and I've been here for 6 years. I tried to give the place the benefit of the doubt and tried to be open but to be blunt, I hate it and its not gonna work.Its expensive, the cops are a bunch of dicks and to me its very soulless. Everyday that passes I get angrier and angrier because I feel so stuck and not in control.The only solace I've gained since being dragged there from New York is my neighbour(a CT native) but he's planning to relocate to Florida at the end of the year, and some coworkers but a majority of them aren't from the state.I lived in Pennsylvania along with my brother during my short stint in college and to be honest, I liked it and felt comfortable. I plan on moving back to the state but I worry because I would be moving alone(and away from drama) and don't know what part to move to for I don't want to be in the same town either.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:38 PM

195 posts, read 278,518 times
Absolutely. I moved home due to family pressure (parents wanting to live closer to grandkids, missing important milestones, etc). I was living in AK and moved back to the Midwest to be with family. I lasted less than a year back in the Midwest. Even though I love my family I have to live somewhere that makes me happy. Alaska was that place for me. Luckily, it was easy to move back because I still had a house, friends, and work connections.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:58 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
Yes, the Texas Gulf Coast.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:06 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
Yes!!

Old 01-24-2015, 10:58 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I've lived for about a year or more at a time all over the country.

The worst place for me was the 3-4 years I spent in Dalton, GA. If you are not a fan of carpet buying, carpet viewing, carpet making, carpet warehouses, carpet, carpet, carpet... Then this is not the place for you.

Second worse was Green Bay, Wisconsin. Absolutely nothing to do there, especially in the winter.
green bay loves their packers. if you love the NFL, you will enjoy green bay during the NFL season. if you also like to eat cheese, green bay is a nice place. i am sure other things also exist out there.

that said, i can live at any place as long as i can adjust to the weather (cannot live in high humidity places or dew points hovering at 65 degrees). i am more interested in money making opportunities because all my free time is spent indoors and when i do have vacation, i leave the country. i have never really utilized local places here in brooklyn new york even though there are tons of things to do. i just live here to work eat and go to the gym to stay healthy. this could be alaska or some joe shmo place in idaho as long as i have those 3 things and a job. i do not care.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:16 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
Had to move to Denver for health (high, dry). Lasted a year and a half. Just not for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues