Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 05:40 PM

210 posts, read 382,404 times

Advertisements

We are getting ready to put our house on the market. We have packed up most of our valuable possessions and put them into a secure place, but how do you keep the few things you need and not worry about people taking them? Both realtors and prospective buyers will have access when we are not at home.

I am talking about my jewelry I wear to work, and a few extra dollars we like to keep in the house.

I have this concern because the last time we sold a house, I did lose a couple of earrings.

What do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 06:09 PM

129 posts, read 524,992 times
This is been a major concern of mine. Not only for prospective buyers but when our house has been listed (approx. 4 times in past five or six years). Also when other elderly people that I happen to share this residence with, literally let anyone in the home including service-people without checking them out whatsoever.

I have a safe deposit box and cabinets with locking faces. Camera, flash drives, software discs and other valuables get tossed in there in a moment or two. Dvd's however remain exposed and I need another solution for since these are hot items - my collection does have some hard to find titles.

Too, I've been through home showings where multiple people are placed in the household to watch over, letting no single person drift out of eyeshot and I can see why.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:52 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I found a flat toolbox that fit under the seat of my car. I filled that up and took it with me, and sometimes stuff stayed in my car for safety, like when I had movers in to help me load.

A lot of people are just slime balls!

Old 01-31-2015, 09:25 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
We removed most of our items of value from the house prior to showings. If I wasn't wearing the jewelry all the time, it went to my parents for safe keeping. We took everyday things such as laptops with us during the day. A bit of a pain, but fortunately we've sold 3 out of 4 homes within 48 hours of listing.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:44 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,891 times
We carried things like laptops, iPads with us while showings were happening. Things like DVDs were packed away. Jewels and money were also taken with us.

Don't leave any prescriptions in the house. Those are highly valuable to people that are just "scoping" your house.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:23 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
We are listing in about 1.5 weeks and are going through this.

I have quite a few pieces of jewelry. I left one set out that I will wear when we go out. The rest of the items that are worth something, or that I would be upset if they went missing, are put into my travel jewelry case, a couple other pouches, and 2 earring cases. When we have to leave for a showing we will grab all of those and just take them with us. What's left in the jewelry box are items that, if stolen, won't really upset me.

We will also take checkbooks, 2 guns and ammo, laptops, Nintendo DS & games and any prescription meds. We do have a place that locks that may house any items we don't want to carry with us. We were especially warned about the meds by our agent. Also don't forget to take any keyrings with you that might have house keys on them. I actually made a list of items we need to take so that I won't forget any of them. I may even leave most of the stuff in the carry bag so that we can just grab that and add any other necessary items that we use daily. Luckily we don't have any other rare items. All of our collectibles have already been packed.

It is really annoying that homeowners have to go through this because you can't trust people to be honest anymore.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:30 PM

210 posts, read 382,404 times
Thank you for your helpful replies. I never even thought about medications.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:21 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
I put the small items in the trunk of my car under the mat by here the spare tire and jack are kept. Then, even if the car is broken into, thieves do not generally look at the spare tire well.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:23 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
In my lifetime I have been involved with the selling of about 6 homes. Each time, there were multiple showings. Never once did my family remove any valuables, and never was anything missing.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:19 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
I know someone who had jewelry stolen out of a locked closet when they were selling the house. I'd put it in a safe deposit box or take it to a trusted friend or family member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues