Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:11 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,618,172 times

Advertisements

There has to be an easier way to folding everything only to have to rehang things once we arrive at our new home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 08:25 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,991,800 times
Get a travel bag for suits or just lay them flat (with the hangers) on top of whatever boxes of stuff you have in the trunk or back seat or wherever.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:30 AM

35,304 posts, read 20,678,405 times
I buy huge heavy plastic bags at depot make a little hole on the top n drape the bag over my good clothe say 10 hangers at a time- and as they are the commercial bags long enough to tie at the bottom - this works great- and usually go in my car. But if you are using a commercial mover, not sure if they take that??I have a lot of nice clothe and end up with least 15 bags

Old 01-19-2015, 08:51 AM

460 posts, read 996,458 times
You can get boxes that have a rod in them that you can hang clothes in, specifically for that purpose. If you don't want to do that, what I do is take a stack of clothing, like 5 or so items together, and fold the items over a couple times and lay them in a box. When they are in bundles like that they tend to not really wrinkle so much.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:03 AM

78 posts, read 124,623 times
I've done what tinytrump does and it has worked well for shorter distance moves. Recently my family moved 3 hours from our home town and we had to fit a huge amount of stuff into a moving truck and I felt that the plastic bags would have just slid around in the truck and/or made the rest of the packed things unstable in the moving truck. So this time I found a bunch of large boxes and just pulled the clothes out of the closet leaving them on the hangers and packed them in the boxes. I put a group of them in at a time with the bottom of the clothes laying down flat in the box first and folding the top half over the bottom half with the hangers touching the side of the box and every time a put a new bunch in I switched the direction so that hangers were not all on one side of the box so the weight and thickest (hanger) part was staggered from one side to the other from the bottom to the top of the box. The boxes get heavy with all of those clothes in them so you have to be careful not to use boxes that are too big or they're hard to carry. When you go to unpack them you just grab the handfuls of hangers grouped together in bunches and pull them out and hang them up. You can also put the clothes in plastic bags before putting them in the boxes (which I did the first few boxes I packed) but it takes much longer, cost a lot for the bags and I found the clothes in bags versus not in bags didn't travel any better and took longer to unpack since you have to remove all of the bags.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:56 AM

7,212 posts, read 6,979,991 times
Those boxes designed specifically for hanging clothes were worth every penny on our 1k mile move. We fit hubby's suits, dress shirts, belts and dress shoes in one and most of my and daughters stuff in another. Open the box and take your stuff straight to the closest.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:26 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,618,172 times
Thanks for all the tips. We will be moving out of state so the clothes may be packed away for up to a week.

Kab0906, do you remember what those boxes are called?

Old 01-19-2015, 01:06 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,371,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Thanks for all the tips. We will be moving out of state so the clothes may be packed away for up to a week.

Kab0906, do you remember what those boxes are called?
Wardrobe boxes

Old 01-19-2015, 01:15 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,888,472 times
holly, google "wardrobe boxes for moving" and you'll find they're all over the place - you can buy or rent them. Good luck on your move.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:11 PM

22,614 posts, read 36,512,094 times
Buy a wardrobe box or two. Hang your stuff in there and move it directly into your closet. Our stuff was on the truck 10 days - no problems. If you have plastic dry cleaner bags you should put them over your clothes to prevent too much wrinkling and crushing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues