U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2015, 03:28 PM

8 posts, read 7,333 times

Advertisements

Hi
We are planning to move to Houston by end of April. We do not have lot of stuff to ship except for a big Samsung 60 inch TV (1 year 4 months old). It costs around $1900 (current price). I have the original packaging for TV as well.
Have few kitchen stuff which I am planning to move in my car which will be shipped as well.
My Car (Rouge 2014) can hold the the TV if I flat out the seats. Have anyone moved a TV in a car? is it allowed?
Can anyone suggest an affordable way to move the TV?
Note- I do have an extended SqaureTrade warranty good for another 2 years, but not sure it will cover this move.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 08:14 PM

2,899 posts, read 4,593,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel25 View Post
Have anyone moved a TV in a car? is it allowed?
Allowed by whom? You can move whatever you want in your car! (As long as it's legal ).

If you can put it back in the original packaging, that will help a lot. Otherwise, pad it really well & brace it so it doesn't move/shift around. There's always a possibility it might end up damaged, but it's certainly worth trying.
We only moved a few hundred miles, but the movers just loaded our 70 inch TV into the truck sitting upright with one furniture pad thrown over it. Scary--but it worked just fine when we got it off the truck.

Good luck, & welcome to Houston!

Old 03-04-2015, 08:48 PM

14,617 posts, read 8,426,963 times
Save your pennies, and don't move to Houston at all. Trust me; you'll be glad you didn't. I've lived here since 1998 (this last time) and can't wait to leave. Unfortunately, that's not possible ATM.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:06 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,183,859 times
Make sure that you put something like a tarp or blanket to cover the box. I can see this being a tempting target for thieves when you stop to eat or for the evening.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:18 AM

2,907 posts, read 4,912,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Save your pennies, and don't move to Houston at all. Trust me; you'll be glad you didn't. I've lived here since 1998 (this last time) and can't wait to leave. Unfortunately, that's not possible ATM.
Amen. Texas doesn't hold a candle to Washington and the differences between Houston and Seattle are staggering.

As far as the TV go, large flat screens should not be transported on their sides. You can google it but: Larger LCD and LED TVs are constructed to have their weight balanced when set upright. So if you lay the screen flat, there won't be adequate support in the middle, which can lead to cracking or distortion on the edges if left that way over time. Add in the vibrations while driving a car, and the chance of cracking or distortion only increases.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:43 PM

8 posts, read 7,333 times
Thank you everyone for your inputs. I will measure the packaging and try to see if it fits upright in the car.
As far as move to Houston is concerned, I am rather excited about it. Every place has good and bad things, and Id rather focus on good and hope for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues