Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 09:53 AM

187 posts, read 270,142 times

Advertisements

OP, we are in almost the opposite situation. We are even younger, 30 and 28 with one child who is just under 1 year old. We still live in our hometown, a good deal of our family and friends are still here, but we just absolutely cannot stand the weather anymore. We are both very outdoor people - we want to be outside walking, hiking, biking, playing, barbecuing, riding motorcycles and driving convertibles, etc. My wife and I have always said that when we retire that we will move to somewhere that is mild year round; somewhere like Monterey, CA. Lately I have been asking - why wait? Let's enjoy it while we are still young!

Our concerns are that we would be in the situation that you are in now. We would be moving away from the majority of our friends and family (wife has some family in that area at least), and I would be stepping out of an excellent career and workplace. We would also have to sell our home and rental property, and buying something even half the size of our current home on the west coast would cost us at least half the price. One one hand it would be worth it, I absolutely cannot stand where we live anymore, but on the other hand I will likely never find another job in my career that is anywhere as good as my current position.

OP, my question to you would be why did you move away in the first place? Is there something about your current location that is more appealing than home?

Old 03-07-2015, 01:09 PM

387 posts, read 588,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf408 View Post
OP, we are in almost the opposite situation. We are even younger, 30 and 28 with one child who is just under 1 year old. We still live in our hometown, a good deal of our family and friends are still here, but we just absolutely cannot stand the weather anymore. We are both very outdoor people - we want to be outside walking, hiking, biking, playing, barbecuing, riding motorcycles and driving convertibles, etc. My wife and I have always said that when we retire that we will move to somewhere that is mild year round; somewhere like Monterey, CA. Lately I have been asking - why wait? Let's enjoy it while we are still young!

Our concerns are that we would be in the situation that you are in now. We would be moving away from the majority of our friends and family (wife has some family in that area at least), and I would be stepping out of an excellent career and workplace. We would also have to sell our home and rental property, and buying something even half the size of our current home on the west coast would cost us at least half the price. One one hand it would be worth it, I absolutely cannot stand where we live anymore, but on the other hand I will likely never find another job in my career that is anywhere as good as my current position.

OP, my question to you would be why did you move away in the first place? Is there something about your current location that is more appealing than home?
good luck! its hard to give up a good career. even though i havent gotten a raise in years, my coworkers and boss are awesome to work with. i have a flexible work schedule and its rarely over 40 hours a week. the benefits and 8 weeks time off per year make it even harder to leave.

reason i moved away in the first place is because i couldnt find a decent job back then. the market has picked up and ive learned several new skills that would make it easy to find a job anywhere.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:23 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
You may be idealizing "home". I guarantee that things have changed since you left. Will you like or be able to adapt to those changes? I went home after 25 years and found the area had grown too populated, stores and places I loved mostly had gone out of business or changed, and most of my friends and family had left. It was really just like moving anywhere, with the exception of being sad about things that aren't there anymore.

If I were you I'd be more actively looking for changes in work rather than going back "home".

Old 03-08-2015, 08:40 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,464 times
Follow your heart and do not live with regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues