U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 05:25 PM

4,649 posts, read 3,975,238 times

Advertisements

Stick with UPS and move wherever you can get hired that is semi-palatable. You are single and can move again and again with UPS until you are where you want to be. At your age after a few years of UPS, you may wish to further your education or change fields. But use what you've got, which is UPS employment.

Stick the bulk of your money in certificates of deposit & use it only if life/death and always save at least 10% of your salary for rest of your life. You are a good money manager and that skill will serve you well.

Good luck to you and your dog. Remember sometimes the journey can be just as great as the destination. Enjoy and safe travels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 02:45 PM

365 posts, read 551,604 times
I used to live in Louisville and yes it gets boring at times. Maybe you need a vacation. Go to one of the places your interested in moving to and check it out before you make the move. You may not like it there either. A good book to read is Places Rated Almanac also check out the website find your spot .com.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:10 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,938,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmc66 View Post
I used to live in Louisville and yes it gets boring at times. Maybe you need a vacation. Go to one of the places your interested in moving to and check it out before you make the move. You may not like it there either. A good book to read is Places Rated Almanac also check out the website find your spot .com.
Pretty sure he needs a move. The website is somewhat useful for ideas, but I've tested it since I have a very high level of geographic knowledge and I found the suggestions it creates are not the best ones given precise indications of what would be desirable.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:29 AM

3,948 posts, read 2,568,725 times
Depending on how big your dog is and what breed (or if a mix a predominate breed) you may have difficulty finding a place to live. Many apartments (and hotels if you need a quick landing point) have limitations on the size and breed of dogs that they will accept. In addition, there will be a security deposit for the dog. If you move south, for sure your dog will need to be on heartworm and flea prevention and that's not cheap. Since you're planning to take your dog, I would think very hard about moving without a job and before you've found a place to live that will accept your dog.

Good luck.

Last edited by Rowan123; 03-18-2015 at 10:45 AM..

Old 03-21-2015, 10:19 PM

7,670 posts, read 8,968,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT525 View Post
I am 17, Just tired of everything here in Louisville. I have 6k saved up as of right now. I still have a year of work (7200$) and tax return before i turn 18. So about 13k will be saved up. i have me and my dog. Could i survive in florida ( panama city beach area ) Long enough on that until i find a job, then a condo to buy? only bills i have is cell phone, car insurance, gas and dog food & my food. Expenses are about 350 a month. Thanks.
Don't move until you get a job.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:02 AM

12,682 posts, read 9,920,111 times
You have no experience living away from your parents' home, and thus no experience with the costs of the "real world", AND you want to move out of state with no job lined up and just $13k? Are you even aware that most landlords will not accept a tenant with no job unless they pay for a year up front, and do you know how much that year will go for? (Hint: Between moving costs and one year of rent, most of your $13k will be taken - if not all of it!)

And then you still have to pay for food and insurance.

Tell me you aren't serious.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:48 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,831,687 times
I agree with others. You aren't ready just yet. Why not get an apt where you are living and making decent money to check out the "real world"???

OR

If you are really set on moving-transfer within the company. UPS is obviously huge. Do not move without a job no matter how much you have saved up. You don't want to be surprised at any expenses that will pop up

Old 03-27-2015, 09:17 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,957,844 times
DON'T DO IT!!! See if you can transfer. UPS is a massive company...they should have opportunities at a location you desire to live.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:23 PM

5,818 posts, read 5,156,973 times
I think the people giving you the bad advice not to move without a job are people who haven't moved much themselves.

I have moved more than 20 times in my 58 years of life, in 14 different states, often without having a job lined up, and ALWAYS with pets. It has always been very easy. I NEVER had a problem finding a place to live, or finding a job once I got to the new place.

All you need is a couple of thousand dollars cushion, and be smart about how you present yourself. Be clean and very well dressed when you go hunting jobs and rentals. Use good grammar when you speak and write. Be polite. Be confidant. Keep your home immaculate. Make it clear to all that you do not ever drink alcohol or use recreational drugs, and that you are in good health and are a hard worker. If you do these things you won't have a problem at all with job hunting or rental hunting.

Don't let those stay-at-homes discourage you. Just take off and explore America - and don't become a stay-at-home stick in the mud.

In fact, here's an idea - buy a used motor home with some of your savings, then take off on down the road. That way you and your dog will always have a place to live.

Have fun.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:32 PM

9,193 posts, read 9,172,227 times
Sounds like maybe you didn't even graduate from high school?

But maybe the most telling thing is that you didn't even have the courtesy, or maybe the attention span, to return to reply to the responses. That's a bad sign for anyone thinking to launch out into the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or