Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 07:12 AM

516 posts, read 1,616,464 times

Advertisements

1) ..... remain in a secure, well-paid job where finances are of no concern and savings are increased substantially each year; kids are well-adjusted in their schools and neighborhood; and we are somewhat (3 hrs) close to some family. But, we hate, hate, hate, deplore the cold weather in the northeast.

or

2) ....move to southern California where our pay would decrease dramatically (half) and our housing cost would rise by 300%. We would go from no mortgage to a $350K mortgage. We would have enough to live, but would not have the disposable income we once had to buy what we please, eat out whenever we wanted, or take a trip whenever we wished. We would be near some very close friends. The appeal of a warmer climate, in southern California (near friends) is so appealing......

I know option 2 is not the "smart" move but sometimes life is not about smart. We really love the outdoors and hate anything to do with winter longer than about a week to a month. I know you might say there are other warm climates, but we have close friends in So Cal and this would be our choice over say Texas, the Southeast or Florida.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 07:41 AM

7,243 posts, read 7,066,230 times
I would not move to So Cal just for friends. Family maybe, but not friends.

There's nothing wrong with moving to a place where you know no one. I would expand your options.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:47 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post
1) ..... remain in a secure, well-paid job where finances are of no concern and savings are increased substantially each year (for some fixed number of years); kids are well-adjusted in their schools and neighborhood; and we are somewhat (3 hrs) close to some family.

2) ....move to southern California where our pay would decrease dramatically (half)
and our housing cost would rise by 300%.

I know option 2 is not the "smart" move but sometimes life is not about smart.
Correct. It's not. It's about being responsible.
Especially so when the choices involve the lives of dependent others.

Tough it out until the kids are off to college.
Then rebuild your adult lives as you please.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:41 AM

516 posts, read 1,616,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Correct. It's not. It's about being responsible.
Especially so when the choices involve the lives of dependent others.

Tough it out until the kids are off to college.
Then rebuild your adult lives as you please.

Our children are in 2nd and 4th grade if that provides any additional information. There would be an adjustment, particularly for the 4th grader, but they would not be neglected with a move.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:07 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post
Our children are in 2nd and 4th grade....
Find a move the would mean an INCREASE of income and lifestyle... not DECREASE them.
At the least find something with close to static numbers.

It's one thing if this is forced on you (which happens a lot)...
but to volunteer for a 50% income reduction? and to TRIPLE the housing costs?
That's simply irresponsible.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:32 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Absolutely not. You want the kids to have a stable life, you are giving that to them now. Friends move as does family. I can't tell you how many of my friends have moved away. Why would you want to put yourself in possible financial trouble?

Old 03-08-2015, 03:33 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I would stay where you are, but would it be possible to take a mid-winter (say, early February) vacation to a warm climate? At least you would get a break.

Also, depending on where you live, SoCal might be a VERY rude shock for you. I lived in SoCal for 20 years before moving to Colorado (we vacation in New England In October), and every time we go back to SoCal, we just can't wait to leave it. Way too crowded and Spanish-speaking for our liking, and I feel like we are risking our lives every time we go on the freeway!

Actually, you might want to consider a move to a south or west Denver suburb where the cost of living is not so high and people are actually civil to each other, and it is very rare to have a snow-covered lawn for more than a week. (About two days at a time is fairly average.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues