U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 08:14 AM

8,782 posts, read 4,044,722 times

Advertisements

I am in my late twenties have lived in Oklahoma City for three years and am pretty unhappy here. I have a great job here but the city just isn't for me. I can finally afford to move providing I find a job before I move. Unfortunately I am running into the issue of not having a local address. I am targeting primarily the DFW metro area, which is close enough for me to zip down for an interview. I have submitted probably over 100 resumes to DFW employers and haven't had a single callback. It's not that I am unmarketable because the moment I make my resume public on sites like Monster and Indeed I start getting flooded with calls for jobs here in OKC. I am certain my address is the problem.

Does anybody have an advice for a long distance job search? I really do not want to lie about my address. A lot of people have suggested I do that but for several reasons doing that can be very risky. I have attempted to explain that I will relocate at my own expense in my cover letter but that has not done much for me. Are there any other strategies to get around the issue of having a non-local address?

If I have to, I may consider moving without a job but I am still a few years away from that being a viable option and am really not wanting to wait that long nor take that risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 04:14 PM

12,694 posts, read 9,926,342 times
Can you telecommute for either the old job or the new? Or perhaps get a job in your area that lets you do it, then go ahead and move to Dallas?

Old 03-12-2015, 04:25 PM

917 posts, read 1,047,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I am in my late twenties have lived in Oklahoma City for three years and am pretty unhappy here. I have a great job here but the city just isn't for me. I can finally afford to move providing I find a job before I move. Unfortunately I am running into the issue of not having a local address. I am targeting primarily the DFW metro area, which is close enough for me to zip down for an interview. I have submitted probably over 100 resumes to DFW employers and haven't had a single callback. It's not that I am unmarketable because the moment I make my resume public on sites like Monster and Indeed I start getting flooded with calls for jobs here in OKC. I am certain my address is the problem.

Does anybody have an advice for a long distance job search? I really do not want to lie about my address. A lot of people have suggested I do that but for several reasons doing that can be very risky. I have attempted to explain that I will relocate at my own expense in my cover letter but that has not done much for me. Are there any other strategies to get around the issue of having a non-local address?

If I have to, I may consider moving without a job but I am still a few years away from that being a viable option and am really not wanting to wait that long nor take that risk.
I took my address of my resume. I only have my phone, email, name. I never put my address to begin with. Im also looking to move & I get plenty of interviews. My issue is its a 7hr drive and at times, they want the interview the next day. Flights get pricey and driving out there is a pain. Last time, I planned a day with about 4 interviews and I drove out there. It can be super exhausting though.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Can you telecommute for either the old job or the new? Or perhaps get a job in your area that lets you do it, then go ahead and move to Dallas?
I wish. My office is slowly shifting towards telecommuting and I already do part time, but am required to be in the office three days per week. Due to irresponsible co-workers I doubt full-time telecommuting will be an option in the near future. That would be my dream though because I could keep my job and live where I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
I took my address of my resume. I only have my phone, email, name. I never put my address to begin with. Im also looking to move & I get plenty of interviews. My issue is its a 7hr drive and at times, they want the interview the next day. Flights get pricey and driving out there is a pain. Last time, I planned a day with about 4 interviews and I drove out there. It can be super exhausting though.
Thanks. I think this is what I am going to have to do. I don't want to lie on my resume but many HR systems nowadays have screening systems that automatically screen out non-local zip codes so it's likely my resume is never even getting to the hiring manager. Luckily my target metro area is only three hours away. I will give that a try.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:08 AM

981 posts, read 1,346,267 times
If your phone number has a OK area code you might want to even get yourself a prepaid cell phone with a DFW area code and list that on your resume. Although people seem to keep cell phone numbers for a long time, having an OK area code may also hinder you as the hiring party will at least know where you started out. Another choice is to use a Google number that forwards to your cell.

I always tried to batch my interviews together. Again it is exhausting to do quite a few in just 2-3 days. But I use the excuse that my job is pretty 24/7 and I say that I would be willing to take a day off if they can let me know ahead of time, giving a range of dates that would work for me. When you get to second interviews you are going to have to be more flexible in most cases.

Another item on resumes that causes problems is graduation dates. HR does not need to know how old you are. I find discrimination at both ends of the spectrum. If you have done any kind of work in your field before your first real job out of college I would include it so that it wipes away a bit of the distinction relating to your first real job.

Be sure if you are including references that they have been forewarned and are bulletproof. Do a clean sweep of your social media and google yourself. Most people have a LinkedIn profile these days so be sure it matches up to your resume.

Lastly don't be overly specific about your job duties. Companies these days seem to prefer someone who has broader knowledge so they can perform in a variety of scenarios. Unless your job has very specific tasks/certifications required, I would include all of the relevant skill sets but not specific duties from your job descriptions.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
If your phone number has a OK area code you might want to even get yourself a prepaid cell phone with a DFW area code and list that on your resume. Although people seem to keep cell phone numbers for a long time, having an OK area code may also hinder you as the hiring party will at least know where you started out. Another choice is to use a Google number that forwards to your cell.
Good advice. I have been going back and forth on this. A few years ago I applied to jobs in both OKC and DFW using an Oklahoma address and a North Carolina phone number and had much greater luck in DFW than I have had since I've been back in the market with an OKC number. I didn't have any offers but I at least had interviews and phone calls from the jobs I've applied to in the DFW area. Though I can't prove it, I really think my OKC area code might possibly be working against me moreso than my address.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:28 PM

487 posts, read 561,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Good advice. I have been going back and forth on this. A few years ago I applied to jobs in both OKC and DFW using an Oklahoma address and a North Carolina phone number and had much greater luck in DFW than I have had since I've been back in the market with an OKC number. I didn't have any offers but I at least had interviews and phone calls from the jobs I've applied to in the DFW area. Though I can't prove it, I really think my OKC area code might possibly be working against me moreso than my address.
This is possible. My experience is Texans have a weird thing about people from Oklahoma. (Oklahoma people seem to have the same hatred for Texans.) I do not know what it stems from, but I saw it enough on both sides to wonder what each state did to the other.

If you sign up for Vonage, you can choose any area code you want. It might be worth it to give it a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or