U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 09:01 AM

14 posts, read 14,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You sound like you are engaging in a lot of "magical thinking". An interstate move is a pretty big undertaking.
We have done an interstate move before without selling our home. We know what it entails, trust me. It was a beast but having done it before, we learn by our mistakes.

Quote:
When your house goes into contract, try to get a longer closing date. I actually did 60 days. In that time or if you have less, you'll need to rent a place, either by sight or online. You should start looking at places you'd want to rent now and have an idea of what the rent would be, deposit, location, neighborhood, all of that, etc. Can they rent to you within a few weeks or month time would be the question to ask. Then, you know if they are available under short notice. Having all of these ducks in a row will help immensely.

Once the house goes into contract and you're sure it's solid you can start sending out resumes. Have your resume polished up in the mean time and cover letter formats at least so you can have that part ready, too.
Very helpful Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 08:22 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,936,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdiznee View Post
My husband and I are thinking of moving out of state. We have a house we would need to sell before we move. Been living in our home town pretty much all our lives. We've gotten everything we can out of it and are unhappy. My husband isn't much of a "take charge" kind of person so I am doing most of the research and what not. My mind is slowly imploding. We put the house up for sale. It could take weeks, months or even years to sell. We aren't really in a position to move before it sells. Can't afford mortgage AND rent.
In the mean time, we peruse the job market in the new state. Again, difficult to apply since we don't know when the house will sell. Never put a house on the market. Have NO idea how it works, how long do we have to move out when it sells, etc... So, It sells, we pack up and drive to a city. No place to live yet and no jobs. Where does one stay temporarily WITH a moving van packed with your entire life? I'm just trying to wrap my brain around the order of things. Can't rent a place in new town until old place sells, can't get a new job until we are actually IN new city. My job is non transferable. Husband's could be but doubtful he would.
Am I making sense? The perfect scenario would have us with $5000 in our pocket to move, set up a rental home/apt and have a buffer of a few weeks to find work. Oh, and throw a dog and cat into that mix. Traveling with animals.... Can anyone talk me off this ledge? We desperately want to leave this town and are willing to be patient but I need a plan.
Thank you!
Hey iluvdiznee,

I made a move like this a few years ago. There are several things I learned from working through the process. I'll put the lessons in order, chronologically.

Since you want to be leasing an apartment that is a good fit for you, you'll want to visit the new location as prospective residents and tour many apartments. They will offer you bonuses if you will sign a lease with them that day. Don't do it! You should be making this trip before you have your house sold or even under contract. Make sure the new city is the right place.

Once you know that it is, start sorting through your things. Moving space is limited, so you'll want to figure out which things are worth moving. The ones you want to keep but don't use everyday (IE framed family photos) should be packed up first. Things you don't want to move at all should be tossed or donated. Keep the things that you need in the cupboards. No one ever does enough of this packing beforehand. The night before our move out we ended up being up until about 5 or 6 am and then sleeping on the floor. Rather than using a Uhaul, I found using ABF to be much easier and have a very similar total cost. Then we could just drive or our own vehicles and not worry about driving the huge truck and towing a vehicle. (ABF is like pods but substantially cheaper)

The closing process on a house generally takes at least 45 days. When you have a buyer, you'll be able to negotiate a closing date that works for both of you. When you have that day, you'll know what day you need to be physically out of the house. Account for one or two days of driving time and you'll know what day you should plan to arrive in the other city. You should be applying for at least a job a day unless your skills are in extremely high demand (doctor / nurse)

Once you know what day you are going to arrive, you'll be in a position to put in a large volume of applications for jobs and sign a lease on an apartment. Wait to actually sign the lease until you are near closing or right after closing, that way you can handle any problems that might come up with your buyer.

Making the move on 5 grand is doable, but will be extremely rough if you don't have at least one job lined up. When we made the move we had one job lined up, for my wife, and her income was more than enough to cover all of our living expenses. We also had around 12 to 15 grand in savings. I handled a large amount of the packing and unpacking issues. She had 6 or 7 days between her last day at job1 and her first day at job2. She is a nurse. She was hired for job2 about a month and a half before the move.

Last bits of advice: If you're moving to somewhere in the Midwest, don't do it! People romanticize it but the Midwest sucks. If you're escaping the Midwest, go for it!!!

Old 03-14-2015, 10:03 PM

812 posts, read 978,898 times
Quote:
My husband and I are thinking of moving out of state. We have a house we would need to sell before we move. Been living in our home town pretty much all our lives. We've gotten everything we can out of it and are unhappy. My husband isn't much of a "take charge" kind of person so I am doing most of the research and what not. My mind is slowly imploding. We put the house up for sale. It could take weeks, months or even years to sell. We aren't really in a position to move before it sells. Can't afford mortgage AND rent.
In the mean time, we peruse the job market in the new state. Again, difficult to apply since we don't know when the house will sell. Never put a house on the market. Have NO idea how it works, how long do we have to move out when it sells, etc... So, It sells, we pack up and drive to a city. No place to live yet and no jobs. Where does one stay temporarily WITH a moving van packed with your entire life? I'm just trying to wrap my brain around the order of things. Can't rent a place in new town until old place sells, can't get a new job until we are actually IN new city. My job is non transferable. Husband's could be but doubtful he would.
Am I making sense? The perfect scenario would have us with $5000 in our pocket to move, set up a rental home/apt and have a buffer of a few weeks to find work. Oh, and throw a dog and cat into that mix. Traveling with animals.... Can anyone talk me off this ledge? We desperately want to leave this town and are willing to be patient but I need a plan.
Thank you!
Thiis may cover way more than you want to know here, but we moved across the U.S. last year. This is how we did it all. https://thepersonnexttoyou.wordpress...25/3000-miles/

Old 03-15-2015, 12:00 PM

12,673 posts, read 9,914,577 times
Quote:
Thank you!
You're going to need to save some money up or sell some stuff to raise the cash. Is there a specific place you want to move to, how far away is it, and how is the job market in your field?

Sometimes a house can be sold with a rentback (i.e. you rent it back from the buyer), which would give you time to line up the rest of it. How much equity is there in it?

Old 03-21-2015, 05:34 PM

651 posts, read 1,785,702 times
If I was you I would pack the essentials that you need to live everyday life to keep w/ you and then rent a POD to store all of your excess stuff in. If you don't have a place to ship the POD the company will store if for you until you figure out where you want it to go. That would take care of the excess things that have accumulated in your house. If I knew what city you were moving to I could help more but I would look for places that do weekly rentals in the new city you are going to. If you can find one that is pet friendly it will help a lot. After you have stored excess stuff in the pod and you and your pets, husband are living in the house with the bare bones stuff you need I would get it ready to sell. Having moved a lot myself in the past I have learned it's always easier to get a place to live first in the new town and then get a job. Once you have sold the casa you can then concentrate on the next step which is getting to the new city. Find a temp (weekly) place to live in the new city. Research local apartments on yelp or other sources and find a few that allow pets and short term 6 month leases. Once you get to the new town and are in your weekly place concentrate on finding an apartment. Once you are in the apartment you can have the pod delivered or leave excess things in storage. Next (GET THE JOB YOU NEED, NOT THE JOB YOU WANT). In other words get any job you can just to get some income going and to get moving in your new city. This could be anything from being a lot person at Home Depot to bagging groceries. This will allow you to meet some people in town and also have income. After you have the short term apartment and the job you need you can start to look for the job you want and a house. Just remember that's it's always the hardest in the beginning and the easiest in the end.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:39 PM

9,668 posts, read 15,799,604 times
Just a few cents to throw into the pot---

Those Extended Stay type hotels can be a good idea, they god by day, week, month, com furnished, utilities included....

Look online for coupons, usually you can get 10%--20% off

Also, if you stay longer than 30 days, they don't charge hotel tax, which can really add u

Old 03-24-2015, 11:43 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,826,585 times
Moving from state to state is stressful and scary. I've done it twice and I handled everything because my now ex was a retard.

Get people to help you: Realtor to handle selling your house and a realtor in new state to find you something to RENT! Do not buy because what happens if you are not happy?? You're stuck

What about going to a job placement agency to help you find something? Headhunter? Also, do many visits to the place you decide to settle on and put resumes out there as soon as you finalize your decision.

As far as packing/moving: there are lots of companies who will pack/load and unload/unpack for you. Professional movers are expensive so do your homework or rent a POD and hire people to load/unload it.

WINE is important when handling all this stuff as well!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or