U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,123 times

Advertisements

Hello hello, my name is Ry and I'm seeking out advice, tools, and tips on how to make my move from Las Vegas to Seattle the easiest. I'm going to be traveling with 1 other person, bringing personal belongings and 2 dogs! so there will be 9 pets total- which is normal for us. We live peacefully and in harmony but traveling across states is a different story.

I'm used to traveling from my hometown of San Diego back and forth to Las Vegas, which is about a 6 hour drive. I have done that with the dogs and it was fine. It's the cats I am worried about.

*Please do not begin to harass or question the number of felines we have, 2 are rescues and 2 have been returned once adopted out. Feel free to ask more. Don't judge.*

Everything is falling together quickly and I'm trying my best to plan things out responsibly. The oldest 2 are four years, 1 is three years old, and the 4 kittens are all 2 years. Relatively small and young (er). Two of them have problems which we are aware of and have plans of separating them for the move, of course. My roommate is afraid of cat collars but I want them on them for whatever reason. She doesn't like how cats get stuck and can potentially suffocate & die, etc. 2 of them are microchipped because they are from the shelter but it would be extremely unrealistic to microchip the rest... Even though I'm thinking about it... I am going to the local shelter to get cardboard disposable carriers because some of the cats have a hard time with driving, like humans with motion sickness, so the car... Let's just say... The drive gets pretty ****ty... Pun intended.

Any other pointers or words of wisdom???
THANK YOU!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 10:03 AM

735 posts, read 611,074 times
I would not put them in cardboard carriers. Those are only made for a short journey home, not for hours and hours of travel.

My sister adopted two cats while living overseas. They made the very long journey, think well over 12 hours, just fine in a pet carrier. You want one big enough that they can turn around in, and make sure they have access to water and food. Also put a couple of blankets or towels in there, to sop up any messes, or at the very least to make it more comfortable for them.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:09 AM

5,164 posts, read 5,108,394 times
You should actually be posting to the cat forum. It's far more appropriate than a general city forum.

I've only moved one cat across state lines as an adult. It was a rough week for kitty. We had bought him a small cat-sized carrier and made it through the first evening with him panting and crying nearly the whole way. Oh, the other thing I learned about my cat: when he's stressed out, he's going to lose control of his bowels. We had a litter box in the car, but NOT in his carrier.... what a mess! My kids thought it was the funniest thing ever, but the cat and I were pretty traumatized. The following morning when we were to add some real miles to our trip we stopped at a pet store and bought the largest sized carrier that I could find. It was big enough for a little bed and his box. He was sooooo much better at that point. No more panting or howling. No more cleaning cat poop off of cats. He was a real trooper for the remainder of the trip.

Good luck...

Old 03-13-2015, 10:45 AM

5,076 posts, read 8,518,229 times
Unless they're very passive they're going to go nuts being trapped in car-sized carrier for a week. Put them in real plastic/steel cages. A frustrated cat in a cardboard box is going to rip it to shreds and run around the car possibly causing an accident. You really should fly with them, not drive. It's going to be a traumatic experience either way so best to make it as short as possible.

A couple of other things to consider:

Plan on getting all of them chipped. It's required, as is registering them.

Don't plan on being able to find a rental that will allow that many pets. It's way over the limit (3)for how many you're allowed to have in a regular apartment or house. Most rentals have a lower limit of 1 or 2. It's difficult to find a place that allows more. You typically need to own property to keep that many animals since it's tied to lot size. I don't know the exact minimum for 9 animals, but it's probably an acre. In Seattle that's going to cost a LOT of money to buy and it's extremely rare for large lot homes in the city to be available for rent. If they are, they're probably luxury homes well over $5K/month on average, not mini-farms. Owning that many animals here is an extreme luxury, so it's not inexpensive.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:22 AM

18,158 posts, read 11,145,668 times
Would the vet recommend Dramamine?

Old 03-13-2015, 01:06 PM

6,048 posts, read 5,812,005 times
Be prepared for the cats to get carsick...we just experienced this. We think it was the grey cat that was getting carsick. The Motel 6's were such a good break for everyone at the end of the day, including for the 2 cats of ours. We just got a large nylon carrier for them. A large blanket, too, no food or water in the carrier...we made sure they got some food and water at the beginning of the day and then once we stopped at the motel.

No fun for them either way, we don't want ta do this to them again for a long, long, time. If ever.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:49 PM

5,164 posts, read 5,108,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
No fun for them either way, we don't want ta do this to them again for a long, long, time. If ever.
Agree!

Old 03-13-2015, 05:14 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,559,867 times
When you take them to the vet for chipping and so on, ask about a sedative if they react badly to cars. My cat was terrified of anything past the door, and the first two days she got a pill. The last she'd adjusted. You need not make is strong enough to make them sleep, just stay calm. But one warning... cat's hate pills. Make sure when you stop to have the carriers and that you can find them in the morning. They like to hide. We were delayed an hour while I got the pill in the cat, and then there was the day she was deep in hiding.

Get them cat harnesses. Start them getting used to them before your leaving. Attach a leash when you are traveling AND in the motel. If you can't find the cat, you can usually find the leash. They can't hurt themself with a harness. And if you need to grab them then you have something to grab.

Get a metal pet holder or two, and have a few carriers to pull them out when you stop. They also fold for easy storage. It gives them air and you just leave it in place. Put a cushion/towels at the bottom, and you might have a cover available if needed. It will save you money and give them a place to go when you move. Make sure they go into a room in a cage until your sure nobody is opening doors, so they remain safe then.

Ditto on not putting food or water while in transit. They likely won't eat or drink or need a litter box then. When you stop, set up the bathroom with litter box, food and water and bring them in and let them eat and calm down. Then put them in a carrier, and go have dinner. That way everyone gets to eat pleasantly and nobody has to be searced for.

If your traveling where its warm, make sure the ac is working. They need to remain cool. Never leave them in the truck/cat alone without climate control. Eat at drive thrus on the way. Maybe get up early and go eat a good breakfast with the critters safe in the room.

I don't know what to say about a place which accepts all of them. But you should check on that too.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:29 PM

339 posts, read 320,614 times
I'm planning a move this summer with 3 kids and 3 cats. MN to SWFL. Here's my thoughts:

I just bought 2 plastic Petmate crates. My older crabby cat will stay in one while my other 2 (who like each other) will stay in the second, larger crate. The crates are big enough for them to move around, stand up, etc. At the hotels, they will get to be out and reside in the bathrooms. The only time they will be out of the crate is in the hotel. I'm planning on chipping them - but not sedating them. Be sure to bring proof of rabies vaccines.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:51 PM

9,688 posts, read 15,878,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
I would not put them in cardboard carriers. Those are only made for a short journey home, not for hours and hours of travel.

My sister adopted two cats while living overseas. They made the very long journey, think well over 12 hours, just fine in a pet carrier. You want one big enough that they can turn around in, and make sure they have access to water and food. Also put a couple of blankets or towels in there, to sop up any messes, or at the very least to make it more comfortable for them.
Get a dog carrier, its bigger. You could even put up a plywood or cardboard partition between front and back to section off the litter area from the sleep/eat area.

Or, if you're traveling by plane they make special carriers approved for use in the passenger cabin---I'm NOT talking about cargo hold carriers. I got one at Petco. Its only 7 inches high, so the cat had to lay down the whole time, but he seemed ok. Its designed to fit under the plane seat. They say they accommodate all seats, but I would double-check the airline. I upgraded to first-class so I had more room, and make sure to get a straight-through (no connections).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or