U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 06:38 PM

3,077 posts, read 3,157,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Three dogs will not fit created in the truck. If she cannot drive then you will have to fly them across the country.
We've considered that also...but they are large dogs,we don't have the proper crates for airlines,and 2 are older and not sure if the flight will agitate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 08:49 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,748,691 times
Easiest way is to have them flown by one of services that do it vet is and to hold until you get there at a boarding center. Not cheap but friend did that with three moving from US to Alaska. Three dogs alone can be a real pain that distance and in a moving truck not safe for dogs even.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:39 PM

9,226 posts, read 11,721,012 times
There is no real way to do what you want unless you are willing to have them shipped to the final destination.

Three dogs (some that don't get along) in a rental truck cab (you can't put them in the back and you can't put them in the car in tow) and the spouse can;t drive and you have not others person to drive them and you don't want to fly them.....

You are going to have to spend the money and have them shipped via a ground pet transporter. These companies will pick up your dogs and transport them to their destination. It's done over the road in vans, mini-buses, or converted motor homes with no flying involved. It's not cheap, but what other option do you have?

Old 03-19-2015, 07:16 AM

13,789 posts, read 18,716,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
There is no real way to do what you want unless you are willing to have them shipped to the final destination.

Three dogs (some that don't get along) in a rental truck cab (you can't put them in the back and you can't put them in the car in tow) and the spouse can;t drive and you have not others person to drive them and you don't want to fly them.....

You are going to have to spend the money and have them shipped via a ground pet transporter. These companies will pick up your dogs and transport them to their destination. It's done over the road in vans, mini-buses, or converted motor homes with no flying involved. It's not cheap, but what other option do you have?

Agreed with this ^^^^^

Old 03-20-2015, 08:22 AM

5,052 posts, read 5,978,245 times
Maybe rehome one or two of the dogs in a responsible way? I wouldn't want to run a household where there were animals that didn't get along. The move will be stressful enough without fights over new territory.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Maybe rehome one or two of the dogs in a responsible way? I wouldn't want to run a household where there were animals that didn't get along. The move will be stressful enough without fights over new territory.
We are the rehome...one is a senior rescue with not much time left.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:57 AM

5,052 posts, read 5,978,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
We are the rehome...one is a senior rescue with not much time left.
Since it's a rescue, maybe chat with an understanding vet and have it put down. There is validity in not putting a senior dog through that sort of move.

That's not going to be a popular opinion, but sometimes life gets in the way and it's more responsible to rehome or put down animals. Sometimes there really isn't the money to take them. It's sad, but it happens.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:38 PM

23 posts, read 99,023 times
Default My experience

Not sure if this would work for you, but I have 2 big dogs and my husband didn't want to drive. We moved from Denver to Houston (1000-1300 Miles I think?) What I did was, for an extra $1000 I hired U-Pack to drive the moving truck with all of our belongings, and I drove the dogs myself. This might be something you may want to consider.

If there was no way for me to drive the dogs, I would've looked into a good pet moving company to transport the dogs (One with a lot of good reviews). I just don't trust airlines, especially with how many incidents of pet fatalities they have. One of my dogs is also a nervous wreck, so the experience of him being on an airline would probably have scarred him for life or made him very ill for days....so me driving them was the best choice, a good caring pet transport company would've been plan B if I wasn't able to drive.

Good luck and I hope you find the best way to transport them that works for you and the dogs.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:42 PM

23 posts, read 99,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Since it's a rescue, maybe chat with an understanding vet and have it put down. There is validity in not putting a senior dog through that sort of move.

That's not going to be a popular opinion, but sometimes life gets in the way and it's more responsible to rehome or put down animals. Sometimes there really isn't the money to take them. It's sad, but it happens.

So you just kill a dog just because he or she is not convenient for you? That is so cruel and heartless. I hope you do not or will not ever own pets. They should be family members, not "things" you can dispose of whenever you don't want them anymore.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfe11 View Post
Not sure if this would work for you, but I have 2 big dogs and my husband didn't want to drive. We moved from Denver to Houston (1000-1300 Miles I think?) What I did was, for an extra $1000 I hired U-Pack to drive the moving truck with all of our belongings, and I drove the dogs myself. This might be something you may want to consider.
If there was no way for me to drive the dogs, I would've looked into a good pet moving company to transport the dogs (One with a lot of good reviews).
U-Pack would require too many containers,I think I may be going with just renting a Penske truck. The pet transporters are quite pricey also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues