U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:19 AM

360 posts, read 1,480,126 times

Advertisements

I'm just beside myself. We just left Virginia last summer and now dh wants to move back because a new job just recently became available in his field. We are older parents of young children and he wants to keep adding to his original retirement plan he started. I haven't even unpacked everything from the first move. (which I guess is a good thing) We will have to sell the house we bought and get the kids settled in a new school etc. I am just tired of moving and can't believe we will be going through this again. Anyone else?

Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 08:45 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,303,267 times
This almost happened to us when we moved to MA 11 years ago. I'm not sure what I would have done if the job had come through. I still missed my friends and connections in VA but really loved our new house and town in MA. I probably would have put my foot down and said "no" but we had only lived in VA for 2 years having being just dragged all the way across the country from Seattle. My husband has the unique ability to put his needs first and spin it as for the greater good of the family and sometimes I just have to call "bulls--t" on him.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:13 AM

145 posts, read 789,988 times
Try 8 times in two years.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:04 PM

12,064 posts, read 27,867,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corel View Post
Try 8 times in two years.
Oh my God... how? and why??????

Old 01-17-2008, 03:23 PM

947 posts, read 3,241,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pammybear View Post
I'm just beside myself. We just left Virginia last summer and now dh wants to move back because a new job just recently became available in his field. We are older parents of young children and he wants to keep adding to his original retirement plan he started. I haven't even unpacked everything from the first move. (which I guess is a good thing) We will have to sell the house we bought and get the kids settled in a new school etc. I am just tired of moving and can't believe we will be going through this again. Anyone else?

Pam
In March 2006 I moved from Mississippi where I was staying with friends to Western North Dakota for work got fired in early August, moved to New Hampshire, was there for 2 months, then moved to South Carolina in Early December...

..it's a pain but I've gotten used to it.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:37 PM

455 posts, read 1,355,920 times
Agreed. 8 times in 2 years, I'd be going crazy...

I haven't lived in the same place for more than a year in 8 years.
Summer 2000 Binghamton, NY --> Webster, NY - Moved w/my parents when I was 16
Summer 2001 Webster, NY --> Webster, NY - Parent's house finished building
Fall 2002__ Webster, NY --> Potsdam, NY - College
Spring 2003 Potsdam, NY --> Webster, NY - Home from college
Fall 2003__ Webster, NY --> Potsdam, NY - College
Spring 2004 Potsdam, NY --> Webster, NY - Home from college
Fall 2004__ Webster, NY --> Potsdam, NY - College
Winter 2005 Potsdam, NY --> Potsdam, NY - College roommate issues
Spring 2005 Potsdam, NY --> Webster, NY - Home from college
Fall 2005__ Webster, NY --> Potsdam, NY - College
Spring 2006 Potsdam, NY --> Webster, NY - Home from college
Summer 2006 Webster, NY --> Rochester, NY - My own apartment
Winter 2007 Rochester, NY --> Rochester, NY - New apartment
Winter 2008 Rochester, NY --> Rochester, NY - New apartment (well, this one is in 1 month)

So 14 times in 8 years... I'm sick of moving.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:58 PM

12,391 posts, read 31,363,894 times
Try moving every 3 months! My mom moved us kids every three monthes when we were growing up. Did not hurt us as kids! Seen a lot of the east coast, too!

Old 01-21-2008, 02:34 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,564,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
Agreed. 8 times in 2 years, I'd be going crazy...

I haven't lived in the same place for more than a year in 8 years.
Summer 2000 Binghamton, NY --> Webster, NY - Moved w/my parents when I was 16
Summer 2001 Webster, NY --> Webster, NY - Parent's house finished building
Fall 2002__ Webster, NY --> Potsdam, NY - College
Spring 2003 Potsdam, NY --> Webster, NY - Home from college
Fall 2003__ Webster, NY --> Potsdam, NY - College
Spring 2004 Potsdam, NY --> Webster, NY - Home from college
Fall 2004__ Webster, NY --> Potsdam, NY - College
Winter 2005 Potsdam, NY --> Potsdam, NY - College roommate issues
Spring 2005 Potsdam, NY --> Webster, NY - Home from college
Fall 2005__ Webster, NY --> Potsdam, NY - College
Spring 2006 Potsdam, NY --> Webster, NY - Home from college
Summer 2006 Webster, NY --> Rochester, NY - My own apartment
Winter 2007 Rochester, NY --> Rochester, NY - New apartment
Winter 2008 Rochester, NY --> Rochester, NY - New apartment (well, this one is in 1 month)

So 14 times in 8 years... I'm sick of moving.
I am pretty close to you. 11 addresses 13 years.

Lets see:

Ohio to Missouri 1994-work/getting married
St louis missouri 1995-switched apartments better location/second bed for baby
St. Louis to Kansas City 1995- work
Kansas City back to Ohio-1996 work hated KC made Ohio look Good
Ohio-1996 moved from family home to friends house
Ohio -1998moved from friend's house to family house
Ohio to LA, Ca-2001 work
LA to Huntington Beach-2002 closer to husbands work
Changed Apartments-2004
Huntington Beach to Vista Ca- 2006 quit my job moved closer to husbands
work
Vista Ca-Houston Texas 2007- work job transfer, cost of living

Old 01-21-2008, 04:25 PM

2,008 posts, read 6,028,238 times
Pammy. I was in the oilfield for 23 years. I moved over 31 times. I stayed in alot of places a year or more. I stayed in a couple over five years each! What you don't want to do is have all your stuff unpacked if there is even a hint of not staying. if he's the main that can't stay. Don't unpack his stuff or pack it. That is if you have alot of stuff. In my first five or so years I only had enough to keep in the bed of a pickup. Took about an hour to pack and load the truck.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:31 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,216,810 times
In retrospect, it wasn't so bad ... having no more possessions than I could fit into my 1964 Ford Custom 500, moving every couple of months to take advantage of low rents, house sitting job opportunities (cheap housing while in college!), contract jobs, boat delivery schedules, and other short term contract jobs while in college.

I probably moved 6-8 times per year for about 6 years. Even when I bought my first house ... which was entirely an accidental opportunity ... I still moved on to other jobs and situations. Sold that house a year later, made a lot of money on it ... and started flipping houses with my bride's help long before it was a fashionable thing to do. But the RE marketplace where we were living made it possible. For a few years, we moved twice a year, fixing up houses while holding down our regular jobs.

Now I'm on a ranch, and the assemblage of stuff and equipment and tools and livestock and horses would make moving a daunting project. But we're here for the long term, and don't need to move anymore for jobs and opportunities.

Of course, if the right offer came along ... we'd probably be moving again. It's all a grand adventure .........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues