U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 09:50 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,434,537 times

Advertisements

Don't write on the box whats in it. Use a letter and keep a list only YOU know. Have sheets and towels and other items which you can stuff small spaces so things don't shift in a box and use them for that reason. Less crumpled paper to dump later.

Number one rule for books, especially hard backs. Smaller boxes. If you try to lift it full and its too heavy, its too heavy. Make sure books can't shift and are solid. Use socks or rags or whatever you have to fill in spaces. Tape enough they won't come open. I am not one to move and leave any books behind but had lots of small boxes. Get them the same size so they stack.

Start early with breakables and delicates, packed as carefully as you can, and clearly label them as breakable, this side up etc. Put them in an empty closet while you pack the rest.

Before you *assume* you'll be able to replace furnature and other items cheaply in your new area, make sure you can. If you can take your bed frame apart and pack it, then put it back together, it may save you time and money if you move to a place where furnature is used until it falls apart. Ask ahead what the used furnature scene is like. When I used to live I could have furnished the whole house out of a few thrift stores. Here, well, if it stands its used until the legs fall off. I made my own couch frame and harvested a few cushions for it.

Start packing as soon as you can. If your moving in summer and you don't need your warm stuff, start washing them and putting them in collapsing bags early. If you will need it right up the end, have boxes ready lest you have a last minute emergency but keep it out. Mark ALL boxes using the aforementioned letter method.

Clothes you need but can wash make excellent last minute stuffers with the other last minute things. Have a special 'last minute' spot.

When you travel, if your pulling a trailer, go to motels on the outskirts of town. They are used to trailers and have room for them and better lighting. This includes major nice chains which also have a motel in town, and usually take pets. For a relaxing evening, eat quick on the drive, then get the motel and go out for a good dinner. If you have pets this works especially well but make sure your pets are in their crates or the bathroom incase the door gets opened if your not there.

And on the trip... enjoy. If you can take a detour and see something beautiful you might not see again, do it. Take lots of pictures. Good memories of the trip will be sealed in pictures that way.

If you have movers take it, hope you aren't like the ones my neice and husband had. It took three months for it to arrive at their new home. At one point the company didn't actually know where between the west coast and the east coast the truck was. The kids had new beds before the old ones showed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 08:56 AM

49 posts, read 97,513 times
Default Tips from another experienced mover

I actually wrote a book about efficient moving because two years ago, we had to pack up and get out in 8 days!

1. Declutter, declutter, declutter. First and foremost. Use up everything possible and save $$ for buying new at new home. This is my mantra at the moment because I've only ever moved locally, never across state lines, so this will be a new one for me and I want to travel as light as possible!

2. ABC or 123! This will make your packing/labeling and unpacking SO MUCH EASIER. Mark everything with a room name. And then mark everything with one of these, making sure to label top and 2-4 sides with a letter or number...
A or 1: packs last, open FIRST DAY. (Pots and pans,
B or 2: pack in the middle, open first week.
C or 3: pack long before the moving day, can wait to be opened. PS do you really need this stuff?

Side note on box packing: heavy stuff into little boxes, light into big. Remember on moving day you'll carry a LOT of boxes so make them NOT hurt your back or your helper's backs!

3. Keep out a tool kit, paper towels, toilet paper, disposable plates/bowls/utensils, and a few bottles of all purpose cleaner to have on you immediately when you arrive at the new place. There will be something that needs put together, taken apart, cleaned. A laundry basket is PERFECT for this stuff. Also where are your lamps? Does your new place have a lot of overhead lights or will you NEED your lamps that first night?

4. Pack that moving truck like tetris. Heavy stuff on bottom, equal weight distribution. If it's a uhaul, fill mama's attic or whatever they call it with LIGHTWEIGHT boxes. Clothes, blankets, etc. Unless you're covering furniture edges with your blankets. Large, long furniture first along sides, fill it in. Don't fill too deep out until you fill UP as well. Keep several stools handy for loading and reaching things.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:53 PM

9,649 posts, read 15,748,183 times
I've posted similar rants before, but here goes again--

If at all possible, get professional movers. Its worth the money. The "friends and family" method just creates more hassle than its worth!

-Professional movers are just that---professional! they know how to pack items, disassemble furniture, pack fragile items so they arrive intact, etc

-They are insured, licensed, bonded---unlike your "friends" who crawl all over your stuff and figure thy can help themselves to a few items you don't really need

-Professional movers get right to work, instead of talking every item to death! Unlike the F&F, who all work at a different pace, and want everything explained to them----oh, what's this? where did you get this? why are you tossing this? You can sell this at a garage sale---when that's way behind you, all the sorting is done, the task at hand now is to pack and move!

F&F want to make a "party" of the whole event, not realizing a moving truck is on its way the next day, and they start charging from the moment of arrival. You've got F&F wanting to "take breaks" order pizzas, get a keg and have a farewell party, "counsel" you---you're getting too nervous, its only natural to have doubts about moving (no, at that point, I'm having doubts about them!)

Do as much of your own packing as you can. F&F don't know WTH they're doing---I had one dump a whole set of china into one box with no wrapping----well, I didn't need that china, anyways

Professional movers, OTH, are trained to pack as much as possible to sell more boxes. We had them pack a whole box with a half roll of toilet paper, a plastic dish and a few slivers of soap---another $13 box! You might want to designate a room, such as a bathroom, as Do Not Pack for your last minute items, or they will get packed up!

Right now, I'm packing small fragile items myself and storing them in an empty bedroom, like I said before, make sure to label everything clearly!

Take extra care with valuables, best to get them off the premises before anyone arrives to pack, either a safe deposit box or small storage unit, you will be distracted on moving day and there are those who do take advantage of it!

Make arrangements on moving day for pets, make sure they are secure, can't run off, they will be stressed out

Meds--especially narcotics like pain meds---make sure they are locked up---they go fast!!!!!

Don't get too cheap on moving day, kick the AC down, your movers work better if comfortable

When you get too stressed out, come to CD to vent!!!

Old 03-25-2015, 03:44 PM

8,471 posts, read 10,729,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Mark your MUST HAVE boxes in a very specific way - I used a stripe of red duct tape.

Must have:

Sheets & towels
Basic dishes and silverware
Everyday clothes - including pjs
Bathroom stuff that you are not hand carrying (hand carry your meds, etc)
A few cleaning supplies (handi wipes are versatile, a bar of soap goes a long way)

That way you can snag those boxes as they come off the truck and set them aside. You're going to want to clean up, eat & sleep after a full day of unloading.

Good idea. I marked boxes that needed to immediately get unpacked w/ a Red X's so as to load them last and unpack them first. I made lists for everything, too. My husband packed our whole house up in Florida in the 90's and even the washer and dryer at the end w/ so little space fit in. He was a professional packer.

For our moves where we drove, I had a box in the car where little things we needed were put, in addition to the suitcases w/ clothes. I put stuff like vitamins, plastic dishware, bags, cleaning spray, etc. For our moves by air, I packed an extra bag in our luggage w/ important stuff for a few days in the motel, before the rental was ready. I made so many lists when something came to my mind I needed I added it onto the "right" list before the move. Being organized is about 80% of any move.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:51 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,868,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
When I said "close the kitchen" I meant just minimal use. This isn't the time to cook up pot roasts, etc!

I try to use up anything I can cook easily, then, just simple things, sandwiches, frozen/canned stuff, etc

Whatever works, to each their own, I just find it easier to shut down usage of the kitchen to the bare essentials. That way, you can get your kitchen gear packed, too!

This would work if one uses frozen/canned stuff, we don't and I would not hesitate to cook a pot roast in the slow cooker in the middle of a move. Good leftovers, comfort food and can be made into sandwiches or just cut into chunks and eaten while driving down the road.

Mr. CSD is diabetic and I have to account for every morsal he consumes, plus I like to cook and I'm good at it so it is generally from scratch for every meal.

Edited to add: The last "professional" movers we paid broke 2 book shelves that had to be taken to the dump, one entertainment center that had to be taken to the dump and let my cat out.
There is no way I will ever pay another "professional" mover again.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:13 PM

13,742 posts, read 18,627,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This would work if one uses frozen/canned stuff, we don't and I would not hesitate to cook a pot roast in the slow cooker in the middle of a move. Good leftovers, comfort food and can be made into sandwiches or just cut into chunks and eaten while driving down the road.

Mr. CSD is diabetic and I have to account for every morsal he consumes, plus I like to cook and I'm good at it so it is generally from scratch for every meal.

Edited to add: The last "professional" movers we paid broke 2 book shelves that had to be taken to the dump, one entertainment center that had to be taken to the dump and let my cat out.
There is no way I will ever pay another "professional" mover again.

Yep professional movers left a crate out I found this out because one of our former neighbors mailed a box to us through fed ex , thank god because it had some of my grand mothers stuff not heavy stuff just some keepsakes for me . The neighbor got a hold of me through my email and let me know that she and her husband went and got the crate as soon as they noticed it so no telling what all was taken before they noticed it ...Nope never again for me either .I also lost something that belonged to my grandmother that cannot be replaced and im just sick over it .all because a stupid mover did not look behind them . I guess we should have looked as well . can I say I hate moving with a passion .

Old 03-26-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yep professional movers left a crate out I found this out because one of our former neighbors mailed a box to us through fed ex , thank god because it had some of my grand mothers stuff not heavy stuff just some keepsakes for me . The neighbor got a hold of me through my email and let me know that she and her husband went and got the crate as soon as they noticed it so no telling what all was taken before they noticed it ...Nope never again for me either .I also lost something that belonged to my grandmother that cannot be replaced and im just sick over it .all because a stupid mover did not look behind them . I guess we should have looked as well . can I say I hate moving with a passion .

We had professional movers forget a suitcase that was packed with old family pictures! I discovered it on a final walk-through, fortunately I did find it. I managed to squeeze it into my car. I discovered it after the movers had left, so it was too late to load it! So, regardless of who you use, do a last-minute walk through yourself.

So, its probably best to

``do your own sorting if at all possible. No arguing with friends & family about what you should take, leave, etc. Make your own decisions.

Pack what you can yourself

Hire some muscle to MOVE it---that is, take to donations, dump, storage units, etc, that includes hiring the trucks

Do a last-minute walk through

Take care of valuables yourself, before anyone else gets involved. Even if you are moving to another location, its best to rent a small storage unit for just a month to get the valuables out of there, you can always make the storage unit the last stop on the way out of town

Old 03-28-2015, 10:40 PM

Although I am a proponent of using professional movers, only for certain tasks.

Have them pack/move items that need special handling, such as pianos, grandfather clocks, expensive china, electronics, etc. Make sure its all documented, insured, etc.

Do your own sorting, even if you couldn't budge it with a forklift! Make your own decisions, then, hire some muscle to move the heavy stuff. But, first, ask yourself why you're taking something so heavy, bulky, awkward, etc. We are not only moving, we are also downsizing in anticipation of early retirement. We probably have a few years to go before retiring, but you don't want to drag all that crap around then! Every move I've had, except for this upcoming move, have been corporate moves, where the employer paid most, if not all, the moving costs. Even at that, I did a lot of sorting, just because I didn't want to deal with the mess on the other end. I hate to think where we'd be now if I hadn't done the sorting I did.

However, I've found the "help" of others usually turns into a hindrance. You end up arguing with people, usually to do the opposite of whatever you want. If you want to get rid of it, you end up spending more time than its worth arguing---oh, you shouldn't get rid of this! You can use this!You can sell this on Ebay, a garage sale, etc, etc......when the time has run out for that, you just want the truck loaded. That's where professional movers come in. They don't argue, they just do it!

Or, if you want to---garage sale, Ebay, whatever, you get so sidetracked with all the "helpers" there again, who don't understand WTH is really involved and how its not worth your time.

Also, for us, who are in a pre-retirement move, realize that once you hit retirement, no more paid corporate moves. That's when many people end up with a lifetime of junk and no strength, money, etc to move it, so.......they get to be on the next episode of hoarders!

Seems every move I've ever done I've had others in my face, dictating what, where, when.....this is one move I want to make all the decisions, and finally take charge of MY life!

Old 03-31-2015, 04:33 PM

2,312 posts, read 1,827,911 times
This is a great thread for us. Though we moved once, it wasnt much of one.. stayed in the same town. We will be moving over 1000 miles next year and have been researching like crazy! Thanks for all the tips!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:13 PM

353 posts, read 358,293 times
Agree with Icemodel and are in a similar situation - this thread has been great; we're moving for the first time in 27 years. Last time was local and we used a hired truck and friends. This time is cross-country and we'll be hiring professionals (if they would ever set up appointments). At present I'm just wishing my husband didn't want to try to take two large indoor floor plants into California - now he's trying to figure out how to get Illinois to certify them pest-free so the movers will take them on the van. I would get rid of tons more stuff than him ;what a pack rat. But he agreed to the location I wanted and is compromising on the house, so I guess if he's OK with the cost, he can bring whatever he wants. We'll have a big garage with lots of storage!

We're driving our two cars ourselves so can carry a lot of "first day" stuff ourselves. The big problem will be where to stay if there are delays - bring our sleeping bags and camp out in the house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or